Home

My friends make fun of me because I do not want to get drunk...

Reborn Outcast

Originally posted by Reborn Outcast

I'm a Christian, but this is still moral stuff that my parents have taught me. And I look to my older (22-23 years old) cousins as role-models, and they're good about that stuff.

And I'm not going to dump my friends. As someone said, it would make me a very lonely person. But, I do think they respect my decision, everytime one of them always stands up for me, and they never push it anywhere past the ribbing and making fun of me thing. So I think they respect how I think.

And to Datheus, yeah you're right I shouldn't take it so seriously, but it's not that easy to fire back sometimes when it's 5 vs. me lol.

And to TheJackal... you're telling me that I should experiment on crack? Weed? Pills? If I try that, I can say for a fact that when I'm 60, I'm not going to look back on that stuff and be proud about it. And hey, the amazingly high chance to die from drugs is worth the risk right? Not in my point of view. I'de rather be a friend that people can come to for advice, even if I am boring, and not some mushy-brained idiot (no offence meant to anyone who does this) with puncture wounds all up and down his arm. And hey, when I'm in college and out of college, who says I have to hang out with people where I would be "boring" anyway?

You have been brought up well by your parents and family, my son. Continue with this non-alcoholic mentality. You dont want to be posting messed up stuff on the LFN drunk. (as if anyone could, drunk.)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why talk about religion in a beer thread?

I have my moto about religion:

dont talk about it. you allways end up insulting someone.

As for the beer.

do what you want. but dont ditch those friends. they are your friends. friends tease each other. you do need to have fun and experiment. life is short. if you dont want to drink then its your choise. but make sure its YOUR choise. not your parents, teacher, friends or even your religious leader. Screw them, its your life.

and if your friends still annoy you then grow a back bone and defend yourself. if not you'll just end up being a punching bag.

Dude, i wont post a long message explaining my opinion, cause frankly my opinion doesnt matter. Its your opinion that matters. So to keep it short, here is a good idea. Think about now, starting drinking, then see yourself in a few years, a pot head, an alcholic, a drug addict. Then look into the future of a non alcoholic. Think about what your life would be like. Then compare the two lives, hard, and long. Think about wheter your non alcohol life would be much better, think about your alcohol life and think. Will this help me, will it make me cool.

What my main point is, is that you should look inside of yourself for the answer, not us. You should do what you feel is right, not some group of people you have never met before. The answer is in you my friend, and thats were where you shall find it. :)

Reborn I wouldn't let it get to you too much. I never drank anything until I turned 21. Even then it was not very often. I have seen what it can do. It's not pretty. My friends always tried to get me to do drugs/alcohol. If it's not your cup of tea, don't drink it. (No pun intended) Here I am, 22 turning 23 in six months and I may have a beer once every 2 months. It's not what it's cracked up to be. Stick to your guns and don't let anyone of your friends drive drunk. Other than that, if you're friends will not let up on you, then they are not your friends. Do what you feel is right, man, and you can't go wrong.

Originally posted by BawBag™

Just one point - Why do a lot of people think that drinking = alcoholism?

Precisely.

I've held off posting this until now, but this thread is becoming patronising beyond a joke.

If you drive your car when you're drunk, it's because you're a d***head with poor judgement. If you beat your wife when you're drunk, it's because you're a violent d***head with a temper problem.

If you can't handle what drink does to you, then don't drink. However, millions of people the whole world over drink without it turning them into violent, cirrhosis ridden alcoholics.

I drink, and I have no problems with it. I'm not violent and I know there are things I can't/shouldn't do when I'm drunk. The same goes for a lot of my friends. I have friends who don't drink and who have no problem with me drinking around them.

My brother-in-law smokes weed a couple of times a week, but he's not zoned-out 24/7. Nor is he when he is smoking. He works for an accountancy agency and is very successful in his job.

My old flatmate is into cars. He enjoys working on them and driving on them. He takes his cars to shows where he can share his interests with like-minded people. But he doesn't feel the need to drive so fast it's dangerous. He doesn't go speeding around towns running people over.

A friend of mine at work is fascinated by guns. He's got a couple of replicas and a load of books about the history of firearms. But he doesn't go around shooting people.

Can anyone see what I'm getting at? :indif:

If you don't want to drink, then that's cool - you've made your decision. But don't assume that going to the pub is going to turn you into Mr Hyde.

[/rant]

B.

Originally posted by The_One

Heh, I thought that said "Just one pint" ;) Why couldn't you have made the typo? :p

LMFAO! :rofl:

Originally posted by •-BLaCKouT-•

Precisely.

I've held off posting this until now, but this thread is becoming patronising beyond a joke.

If you drive your car when you're drunk, it's because you're a d***head with poor judgement. If you beat your wife when you're drunk, it's because you're a violent d***head with a temper problem.

If you can't handle what drink does to you, then don't drink. However, millions of people the whole world over drink without it turning them into violent, cirrhosis ridden alcoholics.

• I drink, and I have no problems with it. I'm not violent and I know there are things I can't/shouldn't do when I'm drunk. The same goes for a lot of my friends. I have friends who don't drink and who have no problem with me drinking around them.

• My brother-in-law smokes weed a couple of times a week, but he's not zoned-out 24/7. Nor is he when he is smoking. He works for an accountancy agency and is very successful in his job.

• My old flatmate is into cars. He enjoys working on them and driving on them. He takes his cars to shows where he can share his interests with like-minded people. But he doesn't feel the need to drive so fast it's dangerous. He doesn't go speeding around towns running people over.

• A friend of mine at work is fascinated by guns. He's got a couple of replicas and a load of books about the history of firearms. But he doesn't go around shooting people.

Can anyone see what I'm getting at?

If you don't want to drink, then that's cool - you've made your decision. But don't assume that going to the pub is going to turn you into Mr Hyde.

[/rant]

B.

Blackout is spot on here. I won't get into detail with why, because it could get messy, but drinking alcohol does not make you a complete bastard.

LMFAO! :rofl:

but drinking alcohol does not make you a complete bastard.

nor does it make you a pot head, an alcholic and a drug addict, like Father Torque seems to think.

I drink and I do other stuff that is illegal in the states. But am I a drug addict that will fail in life so bad?

Seriously. There is such a thing as MODERATION. :rolleyes:

Just say No.

Try to stay off that topic - if your friends want to drink, let them. But you don't have to be there. Seriously, it sucks when you have friends that want to do things that you don't want to do. The peer pressure starts to kick in and then its not so much that they REALLY WANT to see you do something you don't want to do - It becomes a game to them. Its just a downword spiral. If they are truly your friends than they will respect your wishes - even if they tease you a bit. And...anyways...when they are talking about getting drunk and they want you to go with them. It doesn't mean they are going to notice if your not drunk. I mean -- they are going to be tossed. How can they tell. Just come up with excuses. I wouldn't say the crap about "appealing or morals." they'll just rip on you. Just avoid it - or like others said. Your going to have to find a different crowd because as these kids get older they are going to be doing different stuff and they are going to push you around just the same. It can only end in voilence. j/k

And become notorious for being "That git who stays sober just to remind us how we acted last night" ;)

But its so much funnier making them think they did something REAL messed up and you're not tellllllllllling. Hehehe...

i haven't had a drink for years.

week after week of getting drunk on cheap cider and cheap beer in my teens took its toll. by the time i was actually legal to buy drink i had lost my taste for it.

but just because i don't drink doesn't mean i think its bad.

with drink & drugs the choice is yours, don't let anyone else make it for you.

Originally posted by TheJackal

Why talk about religion in a beer thread?

I have my moto about religion:

dont talk about it. you allways end up insulting someone.

I was asked if my opinions partially reflected my religion.

And no, I know that getting drunk does not mean that a person is an alcoholic, I never said that was true. Alcoholism is a disease. But for those you who say "try it, what's it gonna hurt?" and are referring to drugs, now that can lead to addiction, which is exactly why i won't try anything like that.

if you think that by just trying something gets your addicted you are 100% wrong.

I do the occasionnal pot smoking (small ammounts are legal in canada) and I am NOT addicted. Those who are addicted is because they have no self control.

doing drugs is the same as drinking. they are both drugs. its true. beer is like cigarettes. both are socially accepted and pretty much ignored.

addiction is most of the time voluntary. why? because you make a conscience choise of taking a 2nd beer/joint/cigarette just after you finished your 1st. you can say: "your under the influence you dont have judgment" and blablabla.

that is just proof that you never took any and you dont know how to take some. Take the beer slowly. dont drink it like its a can of pepsi. same with the rest. its just stupid trying to take in as much as you can.

Moderation is the key. you can moderate anything you want if you have the will. if you dont have the will then its because you have problems you need to fix.

Trust me! I'M NOT ADDICTED TO ANYTHING.

my last beer is 2 weeks ago. last cigarette 4 weeks ago. and my last joint over 2 months.

Taking anything in excess is just plain stupid. Just like food. You eat too much candy you get a sweat tooth (and zits for teenagers) and dont want to take anything else. its the sort of thing you want to take occasionally, not every damn day.

Originally posted by Reborn Outcast

And I'm not going to argue on why you think I should try these things. The fact of the matter is, those things can be very harmful, smoking or drinking something just for the fun feeling or crazyness of it doesn't float my boat.

Hey, using a mobile phone could prove to harmful. Using a knife in the kitchen can be harmful.

What it comes down to is the choice that you make. Drinking is absolutely fine for you, in moderation - and if you think when you touch a drop you'll become an alcoholic, you need to get a grip with reality boy ;)

Originally posted by TheJackal

nor does it make you a pot head, an alcholic and a drug addict, like Father Torque seems to think.

Hey Jackal you can have fun doing your pot beer thing. Ya, its really cool :rolleyes:, dont you see that you are basically incouraging a minor to drink. Did you know thats against the law here in the states, did you know that some people get addictions due to past family alcoholism. He could get hooked man,at 15.

And why did you get all offensive there, like Father Torque seems to think. Dude thats flat out cowardly. If you wanna tell me im wrong send me something more personal like a PM, you dont need the swamp to know about it.

Originally posted by Father Torque

Hey Jackal you can have fun doing your pot beer thing. Ya, its really cool :rolleyes:, dont you see that you are basically incouraging a minor to drink. Did you know thats against the law here in the states

Not correct, it's against the law to give or buy a minor sauce. You can stand on any street corner you like, however, and scream at the top of your lungs "ALL TWO YEAR OLDS SHOULD DRINK A GALLON OF JACK, AND SMOKE A POUND" and all you will do is piss people off. At best they'll put you in a nut-house, but that depends on how loud you scream, I would guess.

I've decided that we are going to have to have a

LF Forum RL Meeting...you know where we fly you guys all in from all over the globe and someone like Rhett stands out there in Timbucktu Idaho with a sign that says

"LF"

And everyone passes him by and flys out to California

Where I will be waiting holding a sign

That says "Everyone but Rhett"

And we will all make our way to the beautiful CA coastline where we can catch some waves and bask in the glorious sunshine. After pissing the day away, and finally Rhett has found us - we will then have a HUGE Bonfire. Roast Marshmellows and Hot Dogs and drink some margaritas....

wait what thread am I in....

:indif:

Archived