Home

Looks like this game will be Battlefield 1942 in Space

tFighterPilot

Originally posted by imyourfather

Just like Star Wars Galaxies is Ever Quest in space :p

Long time till the summer...

Well perhaps we should be glad that LEC are taking some of the best games of our time and combining them with the best film franchises.

As a huge BF1942 fan, I'm glad I've got another BF-style game to play. :D

Am I the only one that enjoys Tribes 2 a heck of a lot more than Battlefield?

As long as the game is fun and "Starwarsy" I'll be happy to play it though :)... I just hope its a little closer to tribes gameplay (minus the jetpacks ofcourse) than Battlefield...

Anyone else think they should add some Darktroopers too? :D

Originally posted by ZBomber

But that wasn't official. This is the real deal, made by LEC themselves.

Not exactly. This game is licensed by LEC, and is being made by Pandemic Studios. There is a big difference between that, and LEC making the game themselves. They don't tend to make too many games in house these days...

Originally posted by imyourfather

What's about the Star Wars mod for BattleField 1942?

I heard it was extremely laggy ;) and there is a big difference between a mod for a game made by ppl in their spare time, than a brand new game made by people who work for it..and get LEC support..

Originally posted by The_One

Not exactly. This game is licensed by LEC, and is being made by Pandemic Studios. There is a big difference between that, and LEC making the game themselves. They don't tend to make too many games in house these days...

Aye, but you know what I mean. LEC gave permission to do it, and probably had many of the ideas. So they sorta did make the game, just not the way you were thinking.

Originally posted by ZBomber

Aye, but you know what I mean. LEC gave permission to do it, and probably had many of the ideas. So they sorta did make the game, just not the way you were thinking.

OK, I forgive you - I was just being a pedantic little wretch ;)

Originally posted by Excelsion

That got told to 'cease and discist' (sp?) by LEC. Probably because they had started making this game.

Really? I hadn't heard that... It hardly surprises me though, especially now we know they had this game in the pipeline. I remember a similar thing happening with the Star Wars Unreal Tournament Mod - and that was right before Jedi Knight II.

OK, I forgive you - I was just being a pedantic little wretch ;)

Really? I hadn't heard that... It hardly surprises me though, especially now we know they had this game in the pipeline. I remember a similar thing happening with the Star Wars Unreal Tournament Mod - and that was right before Jedi Knight II.

I heard that somewhere. They haven't had anything to do with planetbattlefield.com (PBF) for a long time. And their website dosen't work anymore.

Ah yes, looks like it still is going.

It wouldn't surprise me if the LEC lawyers were set off on them, though. From LEC's point of view, they are making a game that could interfere with their sales of Battlefront...

Yeah, it obviously is. Theres been a few new maps on PBF as well.

I can see what you're gettin at. If people see that they can download an almost-the-same mod for free, some cheap-ass peoplemight not buy Battlefront. But thats just being paranoid.

I understand their reasons for sending out cease and desist orders, but don't agree. If they feel threatened by a Mod, that just makes me feel as if they have little confidence in their own game(s). If this BF1942 Mod is good enough to make them worry (and this goes for any Mod), they should be hiring these people, not threatening them. Just my two cents.

I like the idea of SW meets BF1942 and hope that this game works out for the best.

Am I the only one that enjoys Tribes 2 a heck of a lot more than Battlefield?

I enjoyed Tribes 1 and 2 a great deal but haven't played BF1942 enough to make a fair comparison. Tribes 1/2 seems to be aimed more at the hardcore competitive players, in my opinion, which is fine and dandy, but it's going to be much easier for newbian players to jump right in to a game of BF1942 (Battlefront) than Tribes 1/2. Many players will be attracted to Battlefront for that reason alone.

No.... the download wont be near a gigabyte it will be closer to 400 or so... around what size the main component of Desert combat is now without the new patch... tahts about 500.

Its going to have 8 maps:

Tanaab(space map with flyable Correlion coravettes)

Hoth(redone and the echo base looks soooooooooo much better)

Tatooonie

Beggars canyon

Isd Judicator

Endor

Bespin

(mystery map)

These are the maps coming for it and there are 40 vehicles... pretty much every map ahs unique vehicles!

Now back on topic... i will buy Battlefront and i will Download gc... i find them both to be good they both offer different things...

Space map(gc)/At At(bf)

64 players(gc)/32 players(bf)

battlefront seems to be focused more on infantry classes and combat which is great but Gc is vehular so they both offer different things...

Check this website out the Gc mod has come on in leaps and bounds.

http://www.galactic-conquest.net/

Battlefield 1942 has dominated my gaming hours for the past one and a half year and is still going strong. I personally welcome all attempts to bring Star Wars to this type of game-engine. The tricky part is to make it as appealing as BF1942, meaning you need fast flowing gameplay, skill-based moves and tactics and an arcade-feel. Translated to Star Wars, that means all-out jungle warfare on Endor (admit it; you'd love to be a Rebel soldier during that battle, feeling part of a hugh broader war), defending Hoth (if choreographed well, it can be the ultimate SW-experience) or admiring the sights on Bespin.

The potential is there, but i believe players should get the feel they're being a part of a grander battle instead of simply having a flag to go for with Star Wars-skins slapped on an engine.

My two cents; i'll definitely be following progress on both Battlefront and the mod to see which one succeeds better at above description.

Well the mod had its problem. Huge problems. Lag, crashes, etc.

As for SWBF, it won't be as good as BF1942, but it'll be good and I'm sure it won't feel like it's just BF1942 with Star Wars skin. SWGB made sure that didn't happen again and War of the Ring just continues to show the crappiness of just changing the skin.

And Hello Leon :D Weren't you busy panning your wedding?

Archived