Home

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Fred Tetra

NOTE: Kotor Tool current version: v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

You can download it at:

Kotor Tool site

You can check out the new features that will be in the next release here

For those who take the time for README files... :)

kotor_tool readme.txt

Some features of Kotor Tool:

*ERF Builder - create your own .mod/.erf/.hak/.sav files

*2DA Editor

*New image viewer built in (with extract)

*Text editor now more like a "real" editor

*GFF internal format viewer

*Editors/viewers for most all GFF files (.utc,.utd,.uti,.utm,.utp,.utt, etc.)

*Dialog editor

*Search for text in game files

*Project Manager

*3D Model extractor (with helper app)

*Module editor

*and much more!

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My compliments - your program seems to be working flawlessly on my machine. Where I was having a great deal of trouble getting into various chitin files - your program makes the opening and editing of files a breeze.

With this newest tool out - I am quite sure the real expert "Modders" out there are going to have a lot of fun - and soon too :-)

Indeed. I've also played around with it a bit and it seems to work quite well so far.

I can't wait to see how this shapes up as you expand the functionality. With all the collective knowledge that's been starting to peek through here and there, it'd be sooooo nice to have one tool that can do just about all the various things we need to really get in and mess with KotOR.

Heck.. even if some of the functions are just "shell out" buttons that pass correct parameters to the various command line utilities others have released already it'd be a big help.

Meh.. getting ahead of myself. Whole point to this was supposed to be to say thanks for the tool, and good job. :)

-Kitty

*edit*

Forgot to mention... I LOVE the 2da editor. With the spreadsheet style colored cells and division lines, it makes those things a LOT easier to edit (without winding up with the wrong value in half the fields) than using notepad or the like. VERY well done. :)

From what I see from the other posters, looks like a great tool.

But it uses the .NET Framework... *sniff* (which I refuse to install... I'm a whiner, I know ;) )

Is it written in C++? Would you perchance make the sources available so I can hack it into vanilla VC++?

Andargor

Actually, it's written in VB.NET. Not my first choice, as I have been programming since before there was a C++ language, but I had a fair amount of reusable code from other recent projects that made it a quick-to-write task.

I haven't yet decided if I want to release the source or not at this point. Maybe at some point.

Also, though you may oppose the behemoth .NET Framework install one either size, general MS fear or just general principle, it does mind its own business quite well, as it lives in its own folder.

I run several servers with it *and& my gaming rig, all with no trouble....

First I would like to say is that when it comes to modding I am a major noob. I don't have any programing experience so most of what is discussed in this forum is over my head. I found a link for Lil' Jawa 's Darth Revan Reincarnate 1.1 mod on the Bioware forum and was hooked into wanting to mod SW-KotOR myself,but as I said I don't have much of clue about this stuff. The only thing I have ever done is made a few mods for Civ3 and Morrowind and that was just for personal use.

I borrowed NWN off a friend to use the KOTOR BUILDER , but I couldn't figure out how to use it.

This is a sweeet app.very intuative. Even I find this program easy to use.IThink now I might actually be able to mod something for KotOR .

Thanx for this i was begginning to think it would be hopeless for me :) now i just have to figure out what all thoughs file types are I understand the purpouse of the 2dA and I know I can do something fun with them :D

So thank you for posting this it's a really cool program :D :D :D :D

Thank you all for the kind comments!

I've had the 1.1 version of the framework installed for so long I forgot that I had updated it. I'll add a note mentioning that it requires the framework and which version number to the readme file.

Thanks for the feedback!

Kotor Tool v1.0.1480.42651 (2004-1-21) Released today.

Main changes:

*Faster BIF tree building (~4.4x!)

*More types handled by GFF Editor

*Stopped assuming certain resource types were only found in

certain BIF/RIM files (Doh! What was I thinking... then again, look

at the posting times...)

* Added text view support for txi and vis resources

* Added Hex/Ansi/Unicode viewer

Is that enough new things for one evenings coding? :)

Download at link in 1st post (well, only if you want to...)

Cheers,

Fred :)

P.S. If any of you art-enabled folks think you have a great design for a 32 x 32 pixel icon for Kotor tool, send them my way; I'll pick one to use and give you credit for it.

Originally posted by Fred Tetra

NOTE: Just updated to Kotor Tool v1.0.1480.42651 (2004-1-21)

I wrote this tool so I could experiment with 2DA (v2.b) files and scripts.

I don't know what i did different this time ,but with Kotor Tool v1.0.1480.42651 I can't edit 2DA files.I always get error :"An unhandled exception has occurred in your application."and said it Could not find the C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotORdata\2da.bif

It looks a type O in the path.

It did that to me too. I think it's a simple clerical error.. probably when it reads its .ini file.

Anyway, there's an easy fix. Just open the tool, then click File > Manage Paths.

If you look close, you'll see the problem is, it's parsing SWKotOR and Data together as one folder name without the \ in between...

Sooo.. all I did was add a \ character to the top line (root path), and then I did a cut and paste on the third one (data path) making sure it DOES have the \ in the spot in question (which it did, but eh)..

Then I closed the path manager, closed the kotor_tool, and when I re-opened it, it worked like a dream.

Thanks again Fred. And I'm betting this "fix" workaround will be short lived.. cuz he'll prolly have it fixed in a day or two the way he's been going. ;)

-Kitty

I did change the way I stored some of the path info and also forgot to mention that it's best (for most folks) to just toss your settings.xml file away and start fresh.

My favorite way to do the path configuration is to browse for the KotOR root path ("E:\SW_KOTOR"), then click the "V" button which fills in the rest of the important paths itself.

I was also thinking of adding a "detect installation"-type button, so if you really don't feel like browsing for the path (are we lazy, or what!) the tool will guess where your KotOR installation is from the registry info.

Fred

Once again, you have my appreciation for your hard work and efforts, Fred Tetra...

I've had some little fun with your original program - I don't know how much work I may attempt in Rim files, however - knowing my luck, I'll crash my whole computer (and that WOULD be a disaster - as I just built this thing last month as a Christmas gift to myself) *chuckles*

At any rate - got the newest - thanks again!!

Anach... look at the text it gives you for the error...

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file "D:\Games\LucasArts\SWKotOR\2da.bif".

File name: "D:\Games\LucasArts\SWKotOR\2da.bif"

It's looking for 2da.bif in the root KotOR folder.. which isn't gonna work. This means that somehow it's not getting your data path correct.

All I did was, added a backslash to the END of the root path and re-edited it and the data path.

So for you, manually make your root path read:

D:\Games\LucasArts\SWKotOR\ (note the final backslash)

and your data path then needs to read:

D:\Games\LucasArts\SWKotOR\data (no final backslash seems to be required here)

Also note that if you DO add a backslash to the root path, if you then use the V button, you'll get two backslashes between KotOR and whichever item comes next for most of the fields, which you don't want. (in other words it'll look like this in most other boxes: D:\Games\LucasArts\SWKotOR\\data) You can edit that manually also though, so it's not a huge deal.

-Kitty

no matter how i modify the paths. I still get this error " Could not find file "D:\Games\LucasArts\SWKotOR\2da.bif" "

Because I code until around 1:30 am ;)

There's a new version v1.0.1481.27506 now available for download.

Fixed a few bugs, add ERF support, including tpc viewing (though you'll need to have tpc2tga and an image viewer installed.)

Fred

OK, so I've put in most of the things I wanted in this app.

So what do you folks think would be the most handy to have?

Some ideas:

* ERF/BIF/RIM builders

* Integrated image viewing

* Script compiling/decompiling (integrated or external app-based)

* 2DA v2.b<->2DA v2.0 conversion

Let's hear your ideas! (Oh, and I still need a better icon. Anyone?)

All those sound good.. BUT..

As my vote, I'd say priority one would be a script decompiler/compiler since we can't do that yet.

Yes, we have compilers, but that lets us change only what we have source provided for.. meaning any scripts inside the modules are about as good as being hardcoded for the time being.

If someone could come up with a proper decompiler for those, we could gain a lot of access we don't currently have.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

-Kitty

firstly just want to say thanks to Fred for the Effort, well done!

I have a question regarding attributes, i have succesfully modded the feats and powers but cannot find how to do mod the attribute level gains. Anyone got any ideas?

Archived