Home

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Fred Tetra

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by ReLoaD2K

Could you just give me some fast lessons on how to know when something is wrong when I get new items that have those problems?

It can be thru anyway you want, email, PM, ICQ, MSn you choose.

Thanks in advance,

ReLoaD2K

Troubleshooting is a skill that relies heavily on critical thinking and scientific method. Unfortunately, it's not easy to provide "fast lessons" on these subjects. The best way to learn to get your hands dirty. You'll learn more about this game from trying to fix mistakes than you will from tutorials. I hope that this helps.

[soapbox]

Unfortunately, Achillies is right; only experience improves one's troubleshooting skills.

If you have an item that won't open, play "computer"; that is, do what an editor would have to do to open the file. Read each value of a property in question and look in the 2DA tables as appropriate. Achillies put together a nice tutorial on manual item creation which can be used to see how the various tables interrelate.

Incidently, I figured out what was wrong with your item not by using a tool, but by the technique just described. Also, the mroe troubleshooting you do, the more areas in life you can apply it to. The same methods I use to "prune" a tree of possible faults in Kotor Tool have been learned and used to fix cars, appliances, computers and much more.

[/soapbox]

I'll try that!

And I have a request to do:

Can all the MODers try to do their items on the Kotor Tool?

Doing items in there will not be able to cause this errors or at least i think so...

Well I also understand or I think too that there was a time when Kotor Tool didnt had a GFFEditor am I right?

So people had to do it in a separeted GFFEditor.

But now that we can, please lets try to use Kotor Tool only? :p :p

Thanks in advance,

ReLoaD2K

New version of Kotor Tool: v1.0.1636.25345 (2004-6-24)

New features:

* TPC2TGA is NOT required at all now. TPC files can be extracted and saved directly now.

* Addtional information is displayed about the game modules under RIMs | Modules;

a description and location for each module is displayed, based on settings in the Kotor Tool

Options dialog. Both are off by default.

* New HTML-based help file w/contributions from T7Nowhere

* Kotor Tool version and date stored in GFF files that it writes so that compatibility tracking can be performed.

On a sadder note :( , I'm still having problems with my PC's hard drive; if anyone would like to show their appreciation for my development efforts in Kotor Tool, I could really use a few $$ donation to replace it before it totally wonks out on me. Those interested may contact me at the email address in the readme.txt file or via PM. Thanks!

Oh, and thanks to Achillies, the one person so far that actually made a donation!

New version of Kotor Tool: v1.0.1639.1013 (2004-6-27)

New features:

* Minor Fix: Identified Description and Template ResRef in UTI Editor were accidently left marked as "Read-Only".

Thanks to T7Nowhere for catching this!

On a sadder note :( , I'm still having problems with my PC's hard drive; if anyone would like to show their appreciation for my development efforts in Kotor Tool, I could really use a few $$ donation to replace it before it totally wonks out on me. Those interested may contact me at the email address in the readme.txt file or via PM. Thanks!

Oh, and thanks to Achillies, the one person so far that actually made a donation! [/b]

Originally posted by StormTrooper789

Sorry if this is considered double-posting, but can you, the creator of Kotor Tool, make it able to be used at 800 x 600 resolution because I cannot use your *.utc file editor for it is to big for the screen. 1024 x 768 makes the monitor go crazy so please implement that.

800 x 600 is so 1998!

Unfortunately, I have too little time to redesign the editors; sorry!

************** Exception Text **************

System.ArgumentException: The currency separator information specified in the NumberFormatInfo is ambiguous for parsing.

at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.DoubleType.Parse(String Value, NumberFormatInfo NumberFormat)

at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.IntegerType.FromString(String Value)

at kotor_tool.KotorTreeNode.get_ResTypeStr()

at kotor_tool.KotorTreeNode..ctor(KeyEntry ke)

at kotor_tool.frmMain.BuildTreeView(String keypath)

at kotor_tool.frmMain.TreeView_BeforeExpand(Object sender, TreeViewCancelEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.OnBeforeExpand(TreeViewCancelEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.TvnExpanding(NMTREEVIEW* nmtv)

at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WmNotify(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

guess this aint very normal

Originally posted by Fred Tetra

Oh, and thanks to Achillies, the one person so far that actually made a donation!

Wow, that's really sad. I don't like to pass judgement without all the facts, but I have to admit that I'm amazed by this.

*Does the math in his head*

20 modders on the board, multipled by $5 = $100 towards a new hard drive.

At the risk of flaming:

Hey Fred, it sounds like all those people who put "Thanks to Fred Tetra and the KotOR Tool" in their Readme's aren't willing to put their money where their mouths are.

Come on everyone, a couple of bucks each to give a little something back to the guy that made all this possible for us??? I think each of us can afford it.

Originally posted by Break Ya Neck

************** Exception Text **************

System.ArgumentException: The currency separator information specified in the NumberFormatInfo is ambiguous for parsing.

at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.DoubleType.Parse(String Value, NumberFormatInfo NumberFormat)

at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.IntegerType.FromString(String Value)

at kotor_tool.KotorTreeNode.get_ResTypeStr()

at kotor_tool.KotorTreeNode..ctor(KeyEntry ke)

at kotor_tool.frmMain.BuildTreeView(String keypath)

at kotor_tool.frmMain.TreeView_BeforeExpand(Object sender, TreeViewCancelEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.OnBeforeExpand(TreeViewCancelEventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.TvnExpanding(NMTREEVIEW* nmtv)

at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WmNotify(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.TreeView.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

guess this aint very normal

Fred Tetra already said to someone else not to post all the error info. Just PM him or E-mail him. Oh, Break Ya Neck that's kind of like posting the source code. Well, not really. :)

Originally posted by andargor

Bioware loves mods. NWN Toolset anyone?

The problem is LucasArts.

Andargor

The problem is not Lucasarts, Andargor, because if they didn't support them Holowan Laboratories wouldn't even exist. It is Bioware's choice to release a toolset. They don't want to release it for they are being paid by Microsoft not to release one.

Thus, my explanation renders your statement...INCORRECT.

New version of Kotor Tool: v1.0.1641.42876 (2004-6-30)

New features:

* Possible fix for "currency separator information..." error. This should help people with non-US operating systems.

* New Higher-res (double) map background support (download for extra map on web site)

I can't download the "double" *.map file because when I attempt the browser returns this:

Imagemap Error

Your client did not send any coordinates. Either your client doesn't support imagemap or the map file was not accessed as a map.

What's the problem?

-------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by ReLoaD2K:

It's not there to download or I cant see it.

Reload2K the website says it is 6-27-04 for download but really it is the new 6-30-04 version. Fred Tetra forgot to change the text on his website.

Originally posted by StormTrooper789

The problem is not Lucasarts, Andargor, because if they didn't support them Holowan Laboratories wouldn't even exist. It is Bioware's choice to release a toolset. They don't want to release it for they are being paid by Microsoft not to release one.

Thus, my explanation renders your statement...INCORRECT.

I'm clueless on this one. Why is M$ paying them not to release a toolset?

Archived