Home

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Fred Tetra

Originally posted by Achilles

Here's a shot in the dark...

http://kotor.forgottenwars.net/

It turns out that the custom packs are indeed the source of the "chitin.key" errors that people have been getting. I am working on a fix for it.

BTW, just checked out the new utm feature....INCREDIBLE! [/b]

I don't know why I didn't write the merchant editor earlier; it was one of the easier ones since it mostly consists of the Inventory editor that I had written some time ago.

Also, has anyone tried out the new "dropable" feature in the Character editor?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by tk102

Could it be the IsChild field causing problems?

As far as I know, Fred enforces Bioware's documentation on the subject, while I (and KotOR) do not.

Tanesh, did you perform a Paste as Copy in DLGEditor, creating a circular reference in the dialog?

I actually don't know what's the problem with those 2 files. :( I changed some other conversation files with you editor, too, and all of them can be opened with the KT Conversation Editor. And I tested both of the files during the game; everything is on its place, no loops, no loose endings, no orphaned entries/replies ... It's a mystery ... :rolleyes:

New version of Kotor Tool posted today.

v1.0.1734.18635 (2004-9-30)

Features/updates:

• Fixed issue with chitin.key files that had been altered by custom PC packs
  • Added toolbar
  • Changing the settings for Module Description and Location visibility now causes the treeview to update immediately instead of the next time Kotor Tool was started.
  • Added the ability to view TGA files stored in BIFs in external viewer/editor via a double-click

You're supposed to be able to do that, according to the InstallShield documentation, but I have not tested it.

Since it takes only a minute or so to uninstall the old version and install the new one, I'd play it safe and do that. Or, live on the wild side and let us know how it works :)

Hey fred is there a chance we'll see a update for the GFF editor side that allows for extended appearance and heads.2da references. Because I'll admit I'm looking forward to the day that I can start reducing the number of redundant editors because of minor issues. But hey I guess I don't have an excuse for avoiding those Kiss texture packs and trying them out now that you've given us this new update to kotor tool.:D

I've been avoiding putting in support for reading files from the override directory in the same manner that KotOR itself does for a number of reasons.

For one, it means that any editor that uses a 2da file would have to know how to first inspect the Override folder for the required file, then, that failing, it would get it from the BIFs, as it does normally. This may require a substantial amount of recoding to get it to work, and may also introduce new bugs into stable code.

Secondly, due to the fact that users can create thier own 2da files that may not be compatible with the other default files (or even be correct!), there can come about a perceived unreliability of Kotor Tool through the possible increase in the number of failures that occur as a result. In my experience, people are far more willing to blame the system than themselves. :)

As an aside, I haven't seen any of "those Kiss texture packs"; there isn't a Gene Simmons kit to be found anywhere in my experience. :D

Well if we can't get KT to scan override would it be possible to be able to open Files like uti, utc, that may depend on edited 2da's.

With uti file there are 2 things I can think of that will stop KT from opening it. The first and most obvious is baseitems, to set it with a custom number the uti must be edited in gff editor.

The second thing would the disguise property, the uti editor has never been able to handle them. I think you explained why the disguise property causes problems But I can't find that post.

I thought I would also mention that if text is copyed from word and pasted in the description field it is very possible that the uti file will be come corrupt and you will be unable to open the uti in uti editor or gff editor. This is most likely caused by MS words formatting and there probably isn't anything you can do. I thought I would just mention it for some that may not be aware of this and it is a good idea to copy text from note pad instead of straight from word.

With the utc editor the only thing I know of that will prevent a utc from being open in KT is if it uses a custom appearance.2da row.

So I guess I'm just wonder if there would be a way for KT to reconize a non standard refferance to appearance.2da or Baseitems.2da and fill the baseitem and apearance nodes with a blank listing and then give the option to enter in a custom number into those nodes.

edit: sry if thats not clear But it's 7 am and I just got up :)

Also heads.2da T7.

What I was thinking fred was instead of having kotor tool look for custom appearance and heads files is to actually insert into user define lines. example being appearance.2da it has 508 lines of original defines if what you do is just insert lets say 100 more lines of "user define"(just blank lines with default status or something) inserts this would bypass without having it pop error messages and not open the utc. So when your in the GFF editor and your scrolling through the appearance line and portraits line at the bottom you see a bunch of "User Defined" lines there but you don't know what those defines are unless your looking in the proper 2da file because each persons may be different it just relies on default type of info.

1.0.1735.28265 (2004-10-1)

Features/updates:

• Fixed issue with chitin.key files that had been altered to contain more than one copy of a custom PC pack by pack installer
  • Fixed bug that prevented script decompiler from running

Aaaahhh Friday evening and a new Kotr tool. What can we expect more :D

We have a French comic whose catch phrase is " l'homme qui tire plus vite que son ombre" (the man who shoots faster than his own shadow) Now we have the programmer who codes faster than his own shadow :D

Thanks Fred! Always fun to try a new version of KT :)

Originally posted by Drog

Heh Fred i like the new version but you took away the Rim information about the levels example :

tat_m17aa(anchorhead) that was pretty useful :)

It's not gone, just go to Tools | Options and check the boxes for Show Module Descriptions and Show Module Locations. They've been there for some time :) As soon as you close the window, the treeview will rebuild as appropriate.

Originally posted by Darth333

Aaaahhh Friday evening and a new Kotr tool. What can we expect more :D

There have, in fact, been 6 releases since 9-24 :)

We have a French comic whose catch phrase is " l'homme qui tire plus vite que son ombre" (the man who shoots faster than his own shadow) Now we have the programmer who codes faster than his own shadow :D

How would you say that in French?

"Le programmeur qui code plus rapidement que sa propre ombre"?

Thanks Fred! Always fun to try a new version of KT :)

I aim to please!

Originally posted by Fred Tetra

It's not gone, just go to Tools | Options and check the boxes for Show Module Descriptions and Show Module Locations. They've been there for some time :) As soon as you close the window, the treeview will rebuild as appropriate.

Grrrrrrr...I never knew that was even there :mad:

I'm glad I know now though :D

Well, as much as I can do for now is done. Having coded all that I had planned and designed, I have to go back and design more to fill out the features.

Can you use it though? In KotOR Tool theres a button that says Module Editor WIP, what is that?your module editor?

You're supposed to be able to do that, according to the InstallShield documentation, but I have not tested it.

Since it takes only a minute or so to uninstall the old version and install the new one, I'd play it safe and do that. Or, live on the wild side and let us know how it works :)

It works! :)

The Install program says:

Originally stated by the install program

This will perform an upgrade for KOTOR Tool.

Well, the installer says that is what it will do, but it may or may not work in all cases. If you're updating a version released in the last few days, it will most likely work. And, as I said before, you can always do a complete remove and fresh install in just a minute or so.

v1.0.1738.39111 (2004-10-4)

Features/updates:

• Removed registration requirement
  • Added RIM search feature to Tools menu*

* Some of you, depending on when you downloaded a release, may have seen a mysterious "Test Function" button ... now you know what it was for :)

Archived