Home

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Fred Tetra

Originally posted by darkkender

Well I was actually considering just that a clean sweep install after doing a complete remove and cleaning the directory.

as for nwncompiler and mdlops should they have there own menu options or where should i find them at since I'm beginning to think there in the module editor which I'm not using because it keeps asking for lip files and everything else to create an area which I'm not trying to do yet.

I know I think I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too as well as have my neighbors cake all at once right.;)

Mdlops is used by Kotor Tool when you double click on a .mdl file in the treeview. Kotor Tool extracts the .mdl and the associated .mdx file, runs mdlops, reads the texture usage file mdlops produces and finally extracts those textures from the ERF file.

Nwnnsscomp is used by Kotor Tool when you double click on a .ncs file in the treeview and is also used by the project manager to compile scripts that are part of your project.

So, as such, you don't need a menu items for them since you don't use them directly. If you want to use them from a command prompt, they still function in that manner. My version of mdlops doesn't have a GUI, so if you need that, get Charles Chargin's version, but don't put it in the Kotor Tool folder; work with it someplace else. My version of nwnnsscomp has a different commandline parameter set, so do a nwnnsscomp -help to see the format that it expects. Personally, I prefer using the project manager function, since it can compile any set of files I want without any command prompt hassle.

Not that you need it to perform the aforementioned functions, but are you sure the module editor is asking for lip files and not map files? :)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I'm thinking of creating a new map for use with the Module Editor.

In the last poll. people wanted m08aa (Davik's Estate).

Here's your chance to indicate which one you'd like me to attempt next!

Remember, you can use Kotor Tool to view thumbnails of the maps.

Go to ERFs | TexturePacks | swpc_tex_gui.erf | L, then look at the map images. Their names all start 'lbl_mapm'.

Some possibilities:

m40aa

m40ab

m44aa

I haven't tried any of the non-building (outdoor or cave) maps, but if there's enough interest, I'll give it a try.

Also bear in mind that anyone with even a basic level of skill in GMax or 3DSMax can help create the map models I need. You just have to extract the various models with Kotor Tool, assemble them like a hobby kit, and send me the Max file to render for use in Kotor Tool. Any volunteers?

Originally posted by Fred Tetra

Ok, I'm thinking of creating a new map for use with the Module Editor.

In the last poll. people wanted m08aa (Davik's Estate).

Here's your chance to indicate which one you'd like me to attempt next!

Remember, you can use Kotor Tool to view thumbnails of the maps.

Go to ERFs | TexturePacks | swpc_tex_gui.erf | L, then look at the map images. Their names all start 'lbl_mapm'.

Some possibilities:

m40aa

m40ab

m44aa

I haven't tried any of the non-building (outdoor or cave) maps, but if there's enough interest, I'll give it a try.

Also bear in mind that anyone with even a basic level of skill in GMax or 3DSMax can help create the map models I need. You just have to extract the various models with Kotor Tool, assemble them like a hobby kit, and send me the Max file to render for use in Kotor Tool. Any volunteers?

I can't remember exactly those all are, but I have that feeling 1-2 of them are from the Leviathan, could you give me the module names? And as for the Hobby Kit thing, depending when you would need it by I could possibly help.

I could try Anchorhead again. I did get Half of it rebuilt and I'll tell you that one is a crazy jigsaw puzzel. The file i was working with became misplaced. But Once I start on it it should go pretty fast.

Tell me me when you want it and the specs of it and I'll go for it.

Originally posted by T7nowhere

I could try Anchorhead again. I did get Half of it rebuilt and I'll tell you that one is a crazy jigsaw puzzel. The file i was working with became misplaced. But Once I start on it it should go pretty fast.

Tell me me when you want it and the specs of it and I'll go for it.

Just rebuild it and when you've finished (and I know how hard it can be) just zip up the .max file and we'll make some transfer arrangements from there. I'm looking forward to it!

Thanks Fred!

...and that automatic update feature works like a charm :)

I just have one question ( I hope it's not a rtfm question :rolleyes: but I checked the readme briefly and didn't find it). Is there a way to make the new KT open without taking into account the last files I looked at? I mean If I look at a specific file and do not click on the "-" after I am finished, it opens at the same location the next time. Not asking you to make changes, just curious to know if it's possible to turn this feature off or not.

I decided it was time for a new map for the Module editor, so I built one for tar_m11aa, the Hidden Bek base.

Here's a link to a screenshot so you can all see how it looks so far:

tar_m11aa preview

In addition to having fixed the "remember last opened treeview node" option (you'll be able to select if you want it active or not) and added a new mdlops pre-model-extraction switches dialog box, I may add project creation ability to the Module editor, so it is easier to keep track of the files and to move them into the right folders for testing and release.

I decided it was time for a new map for the Module editor, so I built one for tar_m11aa, the Hidden Bek base.

Here's a link to a screenshot so you can all see how it looks so far:

tar_m11aa preview

In addition to having fixed the "remember last opened treeview node" option (you'll be able to select if you want it active or not) and added a new mdlops pre-model-extraction switches dialog box, I may add project creation ability to the Module editor, so it is easier to keep track of the files and to move them into the right folders for testing and release.

Hey Fred.

I know it is a bit off topic, but do you think, considering Kotor 2 formats will be the same as Kotor, would be possible to use areas of Kotor in Kotor TSL?

If so then i think some effort of the community needs to be putted in helping you develope maps for the module editor.:D

Originally posted by StormTrooper789

This is just a suggestiob but...could you allow plug-in support? You may have seen it in JED

for Jedi Knight. It was implemented with OLE, but .NET allows many things to be possible including plug-ins using a *.dll file. Anyway this was just a suggestion.

The .NET framework does indeed have ways that you can call assemblies dynamically at run-time, but I have only made limited use of it in the code that builds the Kotor Tool auto-update version info that is read when it checks to see if newer version is available.

Any idea what people would want to use it for?

Originally posted by Xavier2

Hey Fred.

I know it is a bit off topic, but do you think, considering Kotor 2 formats will be the same as Kotor, would be possible to use areas of Kotor in Kotor TSL?

If so then i think some effort of the community needs to be putted in helping you develope maps for the module editor.:D

I agree with Darth333's info; chances are most of the file formats will stay the same.

When a developer is given the task of creating a sequel to a game with a usually too-short timeline and is able to use established file formats and tools, they have a decided interest in changing as little as possble to achieve the end goal of a finished product.

Otherwise it would be like me deciding to rewrite Kotor Tool in C++; it can be done, but...when? :)

If the model format indeed changes, following the logic above, it will likely not take as long to figure out the differences for someone familiar with them, like CChargin (expert that he is, heh heh).

The .NET framework does indeed have ways that you can call assemblies dynamically at run-time, but I have only made limited use of it in the code that builds the Kotor Tool auto-update version info that is read when it checks to see if newer version is available.

Any idea what people would want to use it for?

All it would do is it would allow 3rd Party extensions to add functionality to Kotor Tool with cool stuff not already there. If you heard of the .NET Reflector, you would see what I mean. :)

It was just a suggestion that could help you not work so hard, but if you disagree then I will go back to the Drawing Board. :D

I should also mention here that I have also built maps tar_m10aa and tar_m10ab (Vulkar base) for the Module editor. I'm going to do a few more, then release an update.

Sounds good! It's a good idea to include this unused area of Taris! Having an outdoor area such as Taris upper city or Manaan would be nice too...

I like both of your suggestions, so I'll work on those ;)

I also like the city (Anchorhead on Tattoine?) with all of the Jawas and sand people. That one looks challenging.

I found one model in Taris that is non-convertable with mdlops (Chuck is looking into it, however) but most of the models are coming along just fine.

I have added a few new features to the model extraction process which allow you to specify the switches to mdlops, how many models to extract, etc. Last night I had Kotor Tool extract 300 models just for testing and it works great. This makes it easier for me to get the materials for assembling the maps for the module editor. I've also got some training from a professional 3DSMax user that should make life easier in that area.

Just last night I finished the high and low res maps for m10ac, so now the entire Black Vulkar base is done. That could make for some interesting scenarios. :)

Some slightly updated instructions to help you get started:

I have decided to release a version of Kotor Tool with the Module Editor (such as it is) enabled. While it is not done, it will give some people the opportunity to edit and try out a module. To try out the editor:

1) Right click on RIMs | Modules | tar_m02aa.rim and choose "Extract for Module editing...". Create a new Module Project folder and click OK. You will also be prompted if you want to have this folder be the one that is selected the next time you start the Module editor. Choose "Yes".

2) Click the Module Editor button, select this folder, then click OK.

3) Edit the module. For example, drag a Creature from the right-hand tree to the map or move something around, then click the Save button.

4) Copy the contents of your Module Project folder to KotOR's Override folder by using the "Copy Project to Override folder" menu item on the File menu.

5) Load up KotOR and warp or walk to the Taris apartment ring where the Hideout is.

Enjoy!

Fred

Originally posted by Chains

Are you gonna' be comin' out with a full version of it (with all the maps)?

Chains

The module editor is the most complex pieces of the entire Kotor Tool set of functions. As such, it evolves slowly.

I have a new set of maps coming out (see prior posts), but each one takes quite a bit of time to do.

You see, for each map, I have to:

(a) Export all of the models that make up that module

(b) Import them into Max

© Assemble them into one model, as they're broken up into 10-30 pieces and it isn't always obvious what goes where.

(d) Fix any alpha channel diffuse/opacity texture issues

(e) Render it (twice, once for each of the two sizes)

(f) Crop it in Photoshop (twice)

(g) Determine the calibration factors in Kotor Tool so that the data points match up with the correct places on the map (twice)

This whole process means I can do about one map in about 2-3 hours, assuming no weird model/texture problems.

Given that there about 96 modules, not including the cut scenes, you can see the enormous amount of effort it would take to do all of the maps. So for now, you'l just have to settle for those that trickle out as I have time.

Archived