Home

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Fred Tetra

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Celloa

Hey, ive been trying to use the KOTOR Tool, but everytime i start it after the dialogue box saying it will have to verify paths, or something this comes up

And it shuts, is this a known bug? is there some easy way to fix it?

You need to click the Details button, select and copy the text right up to the part where it lists loaded assemblies, and email it to the address in the readme file. Don't bother with the loaded assemblies; they provide no useful info.

Originally posted by maverick187

Sounds great Fred, and sorry but I can't help you with the Trap property I don't even know what it does.:confused:

I realized (and verified) that the Trap properties are used for ... traps. They are used to define the type of action a trap has.

I wonder what happens if you assign three or four trap properties to one trap. :) A Frag-Plasma-Stun-Poison mine?

Hmmm....

Originally posted by maverick187

Looks Great Fred, makes me wonder though... what were those whited-out buttons... hmmmm ... lol

Would it disappoint you if I told you they are just there for "test purposes"? :)

One of them used to launch the Appearance Wizard, but I stopped working on it for the time being.

Fred,

I after doing the item extraction pages for Starwarsknights.com I have a new-found respect for KT's item editor. It's been a long time since I've had to jump through all those 2da files looking for information and then looking up references in the dialog.tlk... your Item Editor has spoiled us immensely. I'm sure you remember how long it took to write it the first time around. Think about the multiplicative time savings it has generated for hundreds if not thousands of modders.

Thanks for your hard work and dedication!

Originally posted by tk102

Fred,

I after doing the item extraction pages for Starwarsknights.com I have a new-found respect for KT's item editor. It's been a long time since I've had to jump through all those 2da files looking for information and then looking up references in the dialog.tlk... your Item Editor has spoiled us immensely. I'm sure you remember how long it took to write it the first time around. Think about the multiplicative time savings it has generated for hundreds if not thousands of modders.

Thanks for your hard work and dedication!

You're welcome! I'm glad to hear that my time has gone to good use making things easier for you folks.

A new version of Kotor Tool should be posted today.

If you're manually downloading, check that the version number is the one below.

1.0.1879.22455 (2005-02-22)

Features/updates:

• Added support for individual path information for KotOR I & II.
  • Added support for KotOR I & II to Search feature
  • Search feature user interface improvements; auto selects game type if only one installed, etc.
  • Editors now indicate when a loaded file has values that fall outside of supported ranges.
  • 2DA files in the override folder (but not in folders therein) will 'override' the ones in the game's BIF archives.
  • Module locations and descriptions added for KotOR II.
  • Support for Disguise and Trap properties added to Item editor and Property editor.
  • Substantial reduction in loading of chitin.key file; this should improve performance on slower PCs.
  • Moved map info outside of main Kotor Tool application; this will allow addition of new maps without having to reinstall.
  • Credit for those who made donations. See the "Help | About..." box. Most recently, ChAiNz.2da :)
  • Added ability to set output path when exporting models
  • Redesigned Path Manager layout and added setting for Model Export Location

Originally posted by Fred Tetra

A new version of Kotor Tool should be posted today.

If you're manually downloading, check that the version number is the one below.

1.0.1879.22455 (2005-02-22)

Features/updates:

• Editors now indicate when a loaded file has values that fall outside of supported ranges.
  • 2DA files in the override folder (but not in folders therein) will 'override' the ones in the game's BIF archives.

So if I understand this correctly if I have a baseitems.2da file in overide and I load a uti file that uses this it will not crash now?

Originally posted by Darkkender

So if I understand this correctly, if I have a baseitems.2da file in override and I load a uti file that uses this, it will not crash now?

The Item editor (UTI) now looks in the Override folder (but does not recurse into sub-folders) for any .2DA file data it needs before it looks in the 2DA.bif for it.

For example, I can open Darth333's d333_warpband.uti, which specifies a property of "CastSpell" which requires spells.2da, with a subtype index of 132, which would be outside of the range of the normal spells.2da. Since you can now specify that you want Kotor Tool to look in the override folder (there's a check box in the Options form, off by default) you can open items such as this.

I did not take the time to improve the error handling in the 2DA "get data based on index" code, if you try to open a file like this with the "Look in Game's Override folder for 2DA files" option off, you will get an error, just like in prior versions of Kotor Tool.

Originally posted by tk102

Nice... toss any hints my way :)

Well, the improvement comes from an elimination of an unneeded loading of the chitin.key file every time the user clicked a treenode. (Doh!)

It was a vestigial behavior from the earliest days of Kotor Tool development. It is now gone, as I only load the file when I need to extract a BIF :)

Oh, well I guess that doesn't really help me. :D

Going off-topic sorry: The only trick I've been able to use is to filter my search of chitin.key by a particular file type. In earlier KSEs I had hardcoded the index of certain .bif files as an additional fiter, but that scheme went out the window with TSL.

If anyone downloaded (manually or automatically) version 1.0.1879.18819 (2005-02-22) of Kotor Tool before 5:00 PM EST (GMT -5), please do so again. If Kotor Tool did it via automatic update, you'll need to do so manually.

There is a problem with the startup code that is a pain to deal with; it's just easier to D/L the new version (despite the version number remaining the same; it's just the way it works) than to try to fix your settings.xml file.

As a bonus, there's a few extra features. :)

I recommend unintstalling (via Add/Remove Programs) and resinstalling manually.

Originally posted by Fred Tetra

If anyone downloaded (manually or automatically) version 1.0.1879.18819 (2005-02-22) of Kotor Tool before 5:00 PM EST (GMT -5), please do so again. If Kotor Tool did it via automatic update, you'll need to do so manually.

There is a problem with the startup code that is a pain to deal with; it's just easier to D/L the new version (despite the version number remaining the same; it's just the way it works) than to try to fix your settings.xml file.

As a bonus, there's a few extra features. :)

I recommend unintstalling (via Add/Remove Programs) and resinstalling manually.

I just downloaded maybe 15 minutes ago (5:10pm), and everything seems to be working. Though I'm wondering if I should do a "just in case" install. Is there a noticable message so one would know wether or not they have the newest "new" verion? ;)

Otherwise, playing around, this new tool is FANTASTIC Fred! Some of the new item options such as "PC-Subrace-Gender Restrictions, Attribute Restrictions, etc." are going to be super-handy! I also noticed in the upgrades required field you've accounted for everything my friend....Superb Work!

and FYI, the "look in .2da" function works like a charm. The disguise property in the .uti editor recognized Shiamon's Uthar appearance right off the bat!

Wow, Wow, Wow!! ChAiNz.2da is hyper-giddy :emodanc::sheepdanc

Well Fred maybe you can tell me if this is fixed with the new version from the release this morning. What I'm running into is kotor tool is not reading the 2da files from overide it is responding in the same manner with it deactivated as activated. I uninstalled and reinstalled and even deleted my settings XML file to be certain.

also along the same line would you be able to adjust it so it reads the overide for both games and not one of them.

On the plus side at least I can open gff files that are outside of bounds either way now.

Also I forgot to mention this previous but this might be a good time to make note of it. some of the placeables seem to generate a out of bounds error for placeables that are a part of the game. Namely if you open the tomb of tulak horde rim file and try to open any of the urn placeables they all have the same error. I thought this was do to trap type and when you said you where working on that I held back making mention.

Fantastic work Fred. Thanks alot :)

Only one problem. The dialogs for TSL only display Owner,continue and End dialog. KotOR dialogs work fine. Before the update I could view the dialogs in TSL fine. I'm sure your working on it But I thought I would mention it incase you were not aware.

Originally posted by Darkkender

Well Fred maybe you can tell me if this is fixed with the new version from the release this morning. What I'm running into is kotor tool is not reading the 2da files from override. It is responding in the same manner wether the setting is activated or deactivated. I uninstalled and reinstalled and even deleted my settings XML file to be certain.

I've tested this on a number of files and it works for me (of course!); can you email me a file set (ut* file and appropriate 2DAsfor the override folder) so I can try it out?

also along the same line would you be able to adjust it so it reads the overide for both games and not one of them.

I'm not clear what you're asking for here....

Also I forgot to mention this previous but this might be a good time to make note of it. some of the placeables seem to generate a out of bounds error for placeables that are a part of the game. Namely if you open the tomb of tulak horde rim file and try to open any of the urn placeables they all have the same error.

That error is my fault. After I designed the new regular/from override loading code, I accidently left a call to load the "spells" 2DA for the Appearance combobox in the Placeables editor. Doh!

The fix is already in place; it'll show up in the next release.

P.S. Unless you're "bored" on your ship, it is "aboard" not "abored". :D

Originally posted by ChAiNz.2da

I just downloaded maybe 15 minutes ago (5:10pm), and everything seems to be working. Though I'm wondering if I should do a "just in case" install. Is there a noticable message so one would know wether or not they have the newest "new" verion? ;)

Otherwise, playing around, this new tool is FANTASTIC Fred! Some of the new item options such as "PC-Subrace-Gender Restrictions, Attribute Restrictions, etc." are going to be super-handy! I also noticed in the upgrades required field you've accounted for everything my friend....Superb Work!

and FYI, the "look in .2da" function works like a charm. The disguise property in the .uti editor recognized Shiamon's Uthar appearance right off the bat!

Wow, Wow, Wow!! ChAiNz.2da is hyper-giddy :emodanc::sheepdanc

I would say "get it"; just in case.

Also, I'm glad you like it. I'm happy I finally had the time to implement some of that stuff!

Originally posted by T7nowhere

Fantastic work Fred. Thanks alot :)

Only one problem. The dialogs for TSL only display Owner,continue and End dialog. KotOR dialogs work fine. Before the update I could view the dialogs in TSL fine. I'm sure your working on it But I thought I would mention it incase you were not aware.

I was aware of the problem, but I never tried opening them in version 1.0.1863.39252, so I didn't know that it used to work. Also, I didn't update the Dialog editor at all. Must be a side effect of the other updates.

Thanks for the info!

[Edit] fixed spelling error

Archived