Home

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Fred Tetra

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I probably should have included more instructions...

[*]Unzip the file to a temporary directory

[*]Rename it to something other than Kotor Tool.exe so it doesn't conflict with the current tool (I should have done this - Doh!)

[*]Copy it to the Kotor Tool installation directory

[*]Run it

[/list=1]

The test version doesn't "need" any of your files to do the test, but it still does the same startup procedure (auto-detect) so it's best to place it in the Kotor Tool installation directory.

You can (and should) delete it after the test.

Fred, your PM mailbox is full again :( (make sure you delete the sent items!)

Just wanted to thank you for the maps and tell you that the map page at StarWarsKnights.com is ready: http://www.starwarsknights.com/maps.php

It is accessible via the modding tools page: http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php

Let us know if you would like to see any changes or if you have suggestions concerning the page :)

Originally posted by Darth333

Fred, your PM mailbox is full again :( (make sure you delete the sent items!)

Just wanted to thank you for the maps and tell you that the map page at StarWarsKnights.com is ready: http://www.starwarsknights.com/maps.php

It is accessible via the modding tools page: http://www.starwarsknights.com/tools.php

Let us know if you would like to see any changes or if you have suggestions concerning the page :)

Thanks for getting it up so quickly!

The only addition I'd make is to mention that installation instructions and a Module editor quck-start guide are included with each file. Oh, and also that the maps are only for KotOR I at present. (for those who miss the obvious, heh heh).

RE: PM box - I didn't think of the Sent Items taking up space! Doh!

EDIT - I've added link from my Kotor Tool downloads section to the map page.

Just an update on what's different between the US and some of the international versions I've been looking at -

The differences occur in two files: gui.bif and scripts.bif.

In gui.bif, there are 5 changes to values in the computer_p.gui file.

In scripts.bif, the bug in nwscript.nss exists (documented elsewhere) and the range for a force power was extended by a small amount in k_inc_force.nss.

I'll be making adjustments to Kotor Tool in a future version to ignore these so that my international users don't get the chitin.key warning message needlessly.

Here's some text exerpted from the "How To" file that comes with the new Kotor Tool Module editor maps, just to show that it isn't that hard to start experimenting with modules:

Getting started

---------------

To try out the Module editor, let us assume you want to work with the South Apartments

on Taris, which is the tar_m02aa set in the KotOR I | RIMs | Modules tree. You'll need the maps installed.

1) Open the treeview to KotOR I | RIMs | Modules

2) Locate the node named tar_m02aa.rim

3) Right-click on the node and select "Extract for Module editing"

4) In the Browse for Folder dialog, create a new folder for the module files and select it.

5) After extraction is complete, you will be prompted to decide whether the module editor will open to the extract folder. Choose "Yes"

6) Click the Module editor button on the main Kotor Tool window

7) The folder you extracted to should be selected. If not, do so. Click OK.

8) You will be prompted to select the KotOR version, select KotOR I.

9) Assuming you copied both the mapm02aa.map and mapm02aa_lg.map files to the Map directory, you will be prompted to select the map resolution. If you have a larger monitor, select "Yes". Some modules have just a high or low resolution map, in this case it will automatically use it.

10) Edit the module. For example, drag a Creature from the right-hand tree to the map, then click the Save button.

11) Choose "Save" from the File menu to save your changes to the .git file.

12) Copy the contents of your Module Project folder to KotOR's Override folder or use the "Copy Project to Override Folder" menu item.

13) Load up KotOR and warp or walk to the Taris apartment ring where the Hideout is.

Remember, the Module editor is a Work-In-Progress. No real support for it can be offered at this time.

Fantastic, Fred, you're amazing!

Thanks for the great work for the community... and thanks to starwarsknights.com!

just a note ( :p ): I cannot place anything (creatures, droids, and so on) from the right side palette window. I'm missing something from the readme file?

:)

Originally posted by Mikon Orod

Fantastic, Fred, you're amazing!

Thanks for the great work for the community... and thanks to starwarsknights.com!

You're welcome!

just a note ( :p ): I cannot place anything (creatures, droids, and so on) from the right side palette window. I'm missing something from the readme file?

:)

Are you dragging them from the palette onto the map surface?

(Click and hold on desired item, drag to map surface, release)

I have problem with KT. I downloaded the latest version, and when I'm trying to open GFF files with it, it say "Error, can't find 'D:\dialog.tlk' file" or something like that, and my game installed at d:\program files\lucasarts\swkotor2 . Before I downloaded the latest version, it worked fine.

Originally posted by Darth_ToMeR

I have problem with KT. I downloaded the latest version, and when I'm trying to open GFF files with it, it say "Error, can't find 'D:\dialog.tlk' file" or something like that, and my game installed at d:\program files\lucasarts\swkotor2 . Before I downloaded the latest version, it worked fine.

You haven't given me enough details at this point. :)

1) What is the Kotor Tool version? (Sometimes people say 'the latest' only to find out that they're 1-4 versions behind; how I don't now...)

2) What GFF file are you trying to open?

(a) Is it one on your hard drive, opened via the File | Open GFF....

(b) Is it one from the treeview, via a double-click?

© Is it one you double-clicked on that caused Kotor Tool to open?

3) What version of KotOR is the file associated with, I or II:TSL?

4) What was the exact error message produced? If the dialog box with the "Details" button is shown, I need the stack trace up to the "Loaded Assemblies" part.

Originally posted by Fred Tetra

You haven't given me enough details at this point. :)

1) What is the Kotor Tool version? (Sometimes people say 'the latest' only to find out that they're 1-4 versions behind; how I don't now...)

2) What GFF file are you trying to open?

(a) Is it one on your hard drive, opened via the File | Open GFF....

(b) Is it one from the treeview, via a double-click?

© Is it one you double-clicked on that caused Kotor Tool to open?

3) What version of KotOR is the file associated with, I or II:TSL?

4) What was the exact error message produced? If the dialog box with the "Details" button is shown, I need the stack trace up to the "Loaded Assemblies" part.

OK,

1) 1.0.1892.29047

2) I'm trying to open .uti file that I did. I opened it from File->Open GFF...

3) Kotor II.

4) It says "An unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click continue..........."

"Could not find file "D:\dialog.tlk".

When I click on 'Details'-

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file "D:\dialog.tlk".

File name: "D:\dialog.tlk"

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean useAsync, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)

at kotor_tool.clsDialogTlk..ctor(String path, Boolean memoryResident)

at kotor_tool.clsGFF..ctor(FileStream fs, Int32 KotorVerIndex)

at kotor_tool.frmMain.GetGFFFileKotorVersionIndex(String filepath)

at kotor_tool.frmMain.OpenGFFFileInEditor(String filepath, Int32 formLocationOffset)

at kotor_tool.frmMain.miOpenGFFFile_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.MenuItemData.Execute()

at System.Windows.Forms.Command.Invoke()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmCommand(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

whenever i open an edited dlg file and try to save the new changes i get this error... and it wont allow me to save the changes i have to quit

also( i was just wondering... in utc files i cant find the Min1Hp selection box... i see them in utp files though

http://www.imagemonster.org/getimg/dlgerror.gif

See the end of this message for details on invoking

just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at kotor_tool.clsGFF.FixGffListRefs(Int32 removedStructIndex)

at kotor_tool.clsGFF.ClearListElements(String PathToList)

at kotor_tool.frmDialogEditor.SaveFile()

at kotor_tool.frmDialogEditor.miSave_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)

at System.Windows.Forms.MenuItemData.Execute()

at System.Windows.Forms.Command.Invoke()

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmCommand(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)

at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

Originally posted by Darth_ToMeR

OK,

1) 1.0.1892.29047

2) I'm trying to open .uti file that I did. I opened it from File->Open GFF...

3) Kotor II.

4) It says "An unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click continue..........."

"Could not find file "D:\dialog.tlk".

When I click on 'Details'-

Next time, leave the part below off, as it clutters up the post too much and is not useful anyway :)

v v v v v v v v v v v v v v

************** Loaded Assemblies **************

mscorlib

Assembly Version: 1.0.5000.0

Win32 Version: 1.1.4322.573

CodeBase:

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I found the source of the problem.

The new function that determines the embedded game version for a GFF file was always trying to use KotOR I's Dialog.tlk file.

It didn't really need it, but it was trying to load it anyway when the GFF class that is actually used to look up the info was created. So if you didn't have KotOR I installed, you got an error.

The fix I implemented was to allow a GFF (for lookup purposes) to be created without a dialog.tlk being loaded and extra logic added to handle various combinations of embedded game data present/absent and K1 only installed/K2 only installed/both installed.

Originally posted by sketch42

whenever i open an edited dlg file and try to save the new changes i get this error... and it wont allow me to save the changes i have to quit

also( i was just wondering... in utc files i cant find the Min1Hp selection box... i see them in utp files though

I tried opening/editing/saving/re-opening files for both K1 and 2, but could no duplicate the error you were getting.

As for the Min1HP field, when I looked over Creature files during the initial development of Kotor Tool, I did not see that field, hence no checkbox is present in the editor for that type of file.

Can you give me an example of a file that does? (mention which game it is from, too!)

BTW, Darth_ToMeR and sketch42, thanks for removing the excess text from your error messages! :)*

* are you sure about who did this? I think you underestimate the power of the darkside... :D

-Darth333

Aww, and I thought the members where just being super-considerate... and prompt! I did think it a bit interesting that they *both* complied so quickly! :)

I tried opening/editing/saving/re-opening files for both K1 and 2, but could no duplicate the error you were getting.

it happens after i close KT and than reopen the dlg ...

As for the Min1HP field, when I looked over Creature files during the initial development of Kotor Tool, I did not see that field, hence no checkbox is present in the editor for that type of file.

Can you give me an example of a file that does? (mention which game it is from, too!)

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1497806&highlight=Min1Hp#post1497806

http://www.imagemonster.org/getimg/Min1HP.gif

Originally posted by sketch42

it happens after i close KT and than reopen the dlg ...

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1497806&highlight=Min1Hp#post1497806

http://www.imagemonster.org/getimg/Min1HP.gif

Well, I tried opening a previously edited file and I had no problems. Email me the file that's giving you trouble.

As for the Min1HP field, I'll put it on the to-do list just for you. :)

Well, I tried opening a previously edited file and I had no problems. Email me the file that's giving you trouble.

As for the Min1HP field, I'll put it on the to-do list just for you. :)

well its happening to any dlg file i make in KT.. but yeah ill email you one of em... dont laugh at the contents of the file though..lol... im stilll laying around with all this.. and thanks about the Min1 cuz i couldve sworn ive seen it in an older vers of KT ... whats your email??

Archived