Home

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Fred Tetra

Originally posted by Lofte

firstly just want to say thanks to Fred for the Effort, well done!

I have a question regarding attributes, i have succesfully modded the feats and powers but cannot find how to do mod the attribute level gains. Anyone got any ideas?

I'm not sure about adjusting the number of attribute points given on level up since I never looked. I do know that you can adjust the starting points in the classes.2da file. In there you will find the preset numbers that the game use when you click the recommend button. These can be adjusted so that a new character starts with all 18's for example. Hope that helps some.

Stator

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by darthface

Great update, but I'm wondering if any of the file format wizards know why the PO_* files in the gui texture pack don't seem to be converting right, I'm positive that's where the character portrait images are.

The person named Eiz wrote the tpc2tga converter and I know from reading the thread that it was quite difficult to decode the sub-formats that are supported right now. Hopefully the work will continue and we'll be able to convert all of them.

Originally posted by Kitty Kitty

All those sound good.. BUT..

As my vote, I'd say priority one would be a script decompiler/compiler since we can't do that yet.

Yes, we have compilers, but that lets us change only what we have source provided for.. meaning any scripts inside the modules are about as good as being hardcoded for the time being.

If someone could come up with a proper decompiler for those, we could gain a lot of access we don't currently have.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

-Kitty

I don't see how one would decompile binary machine code back to asci nss, Bioware themselves had to include sources for their scripts in NWN they didn't(or couldn't) make a decompiler?

But if it is possible I definately think Fred Tetra can do it :)

Otherwise perhaps we could nag Bioware to release the sources for module scripts, maybe make a petition or something if you really must have them.

Originally posted by Lil' Jawa

I don't see how one would decompile binary machine code back to asci nss, Bioware themselves had to include sources for their scripts in NWN they didn't(or couldn't) make a decompiler?

But if it is possible I definately think Fred Tetra can do it :)

Otherwise perhaps we could nag Bioware to release the sources for module scripts, maybe make a petition or something if you really must have them.

I doubt it will ever happen, based on the nazi brutality bioware uses to deal with any mention of mods on their boards.

Originally posted by andargor

Bioware loves mods. NWN Toolset anyone?

The problem is LucasArts.

Andargor

Then why are we sitting here posting on Lucasforums while every thread that as much as touches the aspect of modification is locked instantaneously on bioware boards? ;)

A) LucasForums isn't a Lucas owned site.

B) BioWare cannot show support for any mods for this game because of licensing issues with Lucas. That is also why this isn't a straight up Aurora engine setup as far as files go. The 2da's were compiled, etc. to make it more difficult to modify.

C) Bioware actually does support mods to games that they are allowed to support them on.

Originally posted by Anach

Only trouble with this release, where has the Editor button gone?

I now have to extract, then go to the menu to view 2da.

Double-click on any tree leaf (anything without something below it) and if and editor or viewer is available for it, it will open.

you people can blame LA all you want for the modding difficulty. but modding has not been discouraged or shut down on any other LA game until KotOR. i remember downloading mods for LA games as far back as Dark Forces. and ravebn HAS released toolsets for the last two releases in the Jedi Knight series.

so what if bioware released one game with a toolset. that does not make them the mod-friendly community of the decade. they released the toolset with this game because it was one of the games marketed selling points. it was a marketing strategy plain and simple. maybe the reason KotOR didn't get a toolset is because they didn't make enough money with that particular ploy.

as far as i'm concerned, any primarily PC RPG company that throws themself into a contract with microsoft and starts releasing their games primarily for xbox before porting them to PC has lost alot of my respect. the toolset issue and banned modding topics only added to it.

oh, and fred, thanks for the great program. this is one brilliant program. completely intuitive in all aspects.

Originally posted by kyrellic

The 2da's were compiled, etc. to make it more difficult to modify.

Going off-topic here --

Actually, I doubt that was the reason the 2DAs were compiled. The V2.b files are much smaller than their V2.0 counterparts by taking into account repeating values. Appearance.2da for example is <1/5 the size. Smaller files usually translate into faster gameplay.

Firehawk,

Trust me on this. I've fixed mine, and about a half dozen other people's with this..

I know it doesn't sound like it should do anything, but it works.

1. Open Kotor_Tool

2. Click File > Manage Paths from the topline menu.

3. Add a \ (backslash) to the END of the FIRST path box (KotOR root path).

4. Left click & drag in the THIRD field (Data path) to select the entire line.

5. Type SHIFT-DELETE to cut this to clipboard, then SHIFT-INSERT to paste it back in. (Trust me)

5a. Do NOT click the "V" button to fill the other boxes, or if you DO, remove ALL double backslashes (\\) you see in any boxes.

6. Close the path manager.

7. Close the kotor_tool completely.

8. Load the kotor_tool up again, and it'll work fine.

;)

-Kitty

Ok one thing that I that this program could really use is a search function.often I find myself wasteing time looking for refferance to a file in an other. It would be great if I could just type in a keyword and all files that fall into that field would pop up in a window along with where they reside :) if that would be possible.

Damn! I know there was something else I thought would be helpfull,but i can't think right now. Oh, I remember now it would be nice to be able to add new entries at the 2DA's.

Anyway thanks for the work you have put into this program, It has been a great help to me in learning this stuff, and i really like the new features.

:D

hey fred here's a thought. i have recently run across a rather SERIOUS limitation in the .gff editor. it can NOT copy a value from one .gff to another. i know your program is designed to work with the bioware .gff editor, but what are the chances you would consider adding .gff support just so all of us wanting to create new items won't have to type forever when we start getting into lightsabers? :) i'm talking 20 something entries in the properties list.

if you have the chance to let me know the likelihood of this being feasible, please do so. and if anyone else out there feels this would be useful to them as well feel free to speak up in support.

I've been pretty busy fixing a few things and adding some new ones.

Just to whet your appetite, here are the new features:

Double-click to view most .tpc files right in app. (tpc2tga and an image viewer app are not required) Also shows # of mipmaps in file and other file-specific info.

(Double-click+Shift key will still perform tpc2tga conversion and run your selected image viewer app)

File path problem fixed

Text viewer not anchored to window fixed

I'm hoping to add 2DA row deletion, addition and insertion, too.

Fred

*Anyone come up with an icon yet?

Originally posted by SpaceAlex

Let's say i want to gain more than 1 feat per level. i just edit gainfeat.2da and save it. But what next? How do i import the 2da file back to bif file?

You don't need to. Just leave the modified 2da file in your kotor\override folder (either compiled form or text form - both work fine for 2DAs). When you next load KotOR, it uses this data in place of the stuff in the bifs. ;)

-Kitty

I believe the two errors have been fixed.

One was caused by me "exporting" 1 less row of data from the grid than actually existed, but only in the 2da native format; the XML exporter was OK, thus easy to find.

The other was caused by a quirk in the M$ grid that I have worked around. That grid is such a pain that M$ is releasing a new version!

The download site now contains the updated code, though the release version remains the same because of the way the version-generating code from M$ works (go figure!)

To paraphrase Mr. Gates on the subject of why viruses make Windows more secure....

"My code is better because you're finding bugs in it."

Not to be a pain in the butt as a new poster, but, um, is there anything special I should consider when I'm editing featgain.2DA and feat.2DA?

I was trying to see, for a reference, if I could give a char all the non-Jedi feats at level 1, tell it 'no featgain', then tell it to give all Jedi feats at level 2/whatever level you became a jedi at. But when it hit feats in the long form chargen, it crashed every time. Are there a bunch of things that aren't used in game, that are supposed to be left unmarked? If so, a list of tnose might be nice.

jennaida: maybe you can try to do the following

to give free feats, you can edit the column "sol_granted", "sct_granted", "jcn_granted" (in the feat.2da file) to whatever lvl that you want the feat to be given at. also note that if you do change certain feats to be granted at certain level, make sure that you fill the corresponding field next to the left of the "sol_granted" column to "3" (it is the "xxx_list" column, xxx being the class). otherwise, the feat will not be shown on your feat screen.

So if you are planning to be a soldier/guardian, you would change the "sol_granted" column to "1" and "sol_list" to "3" for all the non jedi feats. then for the jedi feats, you will go to "jgd_granted" and fill "1" also and "jgd_list" to "3". (remember, you will start as a lvl 1 guardian regardles of your soldier class level). that should do the trick.

To create "no feat gain" is even easier. open the featgain.2da and simply change all those number to 0.

Trying that now... hope this works...

*comes back*

Hmm, nope. I'd swear I got the 2DA files right, as well. And I put feat 2DA into the Override folder (that's right, isn't it?) but whenever it gets to Feats in custom chargen, it seaches the disk, then says its performed an error and crashes out during chargen. And since Feats is the first thing I've touched, I'm wondering about it. When I hit 'automatic chargen' its giving me level 1 of some of the stuff, but not giving all of it. Is there a separate listing for some restrictions on 'only' certain classes being allowed something, or is that part of what you mentioned in previous post?

Archived