Home

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Fred Tetra

Fred,

Thanks for the great new version. One little bit though:

I only have TSL installed, so I left all of the KotOR paths blank. When I tried to open an item file via Open GFF (selected edit via KotOR II), it kept saying C:\dialog.tlk could not be found. I then copied my TSL paths to the KotOR paths, and tried it again and it worked. I'm assuming that it's looking for the KotOR I dialog.tlk. This might also be the cause of the TLK lookup name problem mentioned above.

Thanks again.

-Shimaon

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Shimaon

Fred,

I only have TSL installed, so I left all of the KotOR paths blank. When I tried to open an item file via Open GFF (selected edit via KotOR II), it kept saying C:\dialog.tlk could not be found. I then copied my TSL paths to the KotOR paths, and tried it again and it worked. I'm assuming that it's looking for the KotOR I dialog.tlk. This might also be the cause of the TLK lookup name problem mentioned above.

Thanks again.

-Shimaon

That did it for me! I had blank fields for the Kotor dircetory so I put the TSL paths in both and is now working :)

Originally posted by una

Thx for reply, but it didnt work :(.

Tried the latest version from his site and it still crashes right after startup.

Guess i have to stick with the old one.

[*]Perform uninstall

[*]Delete entire Kotor Tool folder. Uninstall does not do this and thus leaves the (possibly incorrect) settings.xml file intact.

[*]Download latest installer if you haven't already

[*]Run in

[*]Run Kotor Tool

[*]Verify that the auto-detected path(s) look right.

[/list=1]

Originally posted by Shimaon

Fred,

Thanks again.

-Shimaon

This problem is corrected (I hope) in the version in development right now. There were a few places I still had yet to make the upgrades needed to support Kotor II.

A new version of Kotor Tool will be posted today.

If you're manually downloading, check that the version number is the one below.

v1.0.1880.29681 (2005-02-24)

Features/updates:

•  
  • Fixed Inventory editor not using correct game's data
  • Splitter control to allow resizing of inventory treeview
  • Inventory loading progress indicator
  • Code to handle extra inventory item types found only in KotOR II
  • Expand/Collapse treeview buttons for inventory treeview
  • Inventory editor caption text now indicates version of KotOR data it is working with (I or II)
  • Inventory names for first 3 items type parents
  • Updated all GFF classes to use correct dialog.tlk file
  • Item editor now
  • Trigger editor will no longer fail if trap type > 13 in KotOR II
  • Inventory editor can now use 2DA files in Override folder
  • Updated Item editor so that non-common 2DA files will be loaded as needed instead of generating an error
  • Updated Conversation editor so that it can display dialog trees correctly. Extended KotOR II fields not yet supported.

Only 800 more posts until my name glows in recognition ;)

Originally posted by Mr_M

I also had the instant crashing after starting the file as well, I hope the new version fixes it, if anyone could post a link to a older version would help too.

I completly wiped the folders.

What is the version of the file that is having that problem? Get the properties on the file, then go to the Version tab, just to be sure.

Originally posted by Fred Tetra

[*]Perform uninstall

[*]Delete entire Kotor Tool folder. Uninstall does not do this and thus leaves the (possibly incorrect) settings.xml file intact.

[*]Download latest installer if you haven't already

[*]Run in

[*]Run Kotor Tool

[*]Verify that the auto-detected path(s) look right.

[/list=1]

Did it all with newest version. Still crashes after startup.

If i dont fill in the location of the chitin.key it startsup normally but then i cant do alot in it ofcourse.

Also tried it now on a second computer and same thing happens.

Running win2k on both.

I don't know if this is just me but the new version of KT seems to not recognise the File Paths to KotorII. This may be because I don't have Kotor II installed on my computer, but instead I have the Xbox kotorII TSL copied in Program Files in a Folder in LucasArts, next to SWKotOR called SWKotOR2. But it's not in the registry as being a true installed program. So I guess Kotor Tool won't see it. So for now, I have to put the file Paths in the Kotor1 window so It will read it. As a result, it boots up saying Corrupted chitin.key, but it works without Kotor1...

Is this only my problem?

There's a (small) problem in KotOR Tool and it has never been corrected since the creation of this modding tool.

When you try to read a Conversation file (*.dlg), the properties of an Item file (*.uti) or others elements where there's some text, all particular characters (Like "é", "è", "à", etc...) are replaced by some question marks ("?"), which is very irritating !...

Does it exist a means to "fix" this problem once for all ?...

Originally posted by Mr_M

kotor_tool.exe Application Error

This application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135) Click on Ok to terminate

Windows XP Pro SP1

Have you installed the Microsoft .NET Framework, and if so, which version and Service Pack level?

Originally posted by Darkkender

I'm also having the same error when installing Fred. Except since I run win 2k and win 98 the error is:

Failed to initialize setup file.

Hopefully this can help you to fix the problem.

That message generally means that your download of the installer failed part way through. Dial-up connection, right?

If you have dial-up, put Kotor Tool on the machine (even if KotOR isn't installed there), run it, ignoring the messages about "most things not working" and choose Check for program updates from the Help menu. Kotor Tool can download the file and validate it for you. You can then tell it that you don't want to install immediately and then do it at your leisure.

Originally posted by una

Did it all with newest version. Still crashes after startup.

If i dont fill in the location of the chitin.key it startsup normally but then i cant do alot in it ofcourse.

Also tried it now on a second computer and same thing happens.

Running win2k on both.

You do have the Microsoft .NET Framework installed, right?

Originally posted by Dak Vesser

I don't know if this is just me but the new version of KT seems to not recognise the File Paths to KotorII. This may be because I don't have Kotor II installed on my computer, but instead I have the Xbox kotorII TSL copied in Program Files in a Folder in LucasArts, next to SWKotOR called SWKotOR2. But it's not in the registry as being a true installed program. So I guess Kotor Tool won't see it. So for now, I have to put the file Paths in the Kotor1 window so It will read it. As a result, it boots up saying Corrupted chitin.key, but it works without Kotor1...

Is this only my problem?

Kotor Tool makes no specific attempt to work with the Xbox versions of KotOR, so you will see some errors. However, given that the files are mostly the same, many features will probably work.

Originally posted by Leviathan

There's a (small) problem in KotOR Tool and it has never been corrected since the creation of this modding tool.

When you try to read a Conversation file (*.dlg), the properties of an Item file (*.uti) or others elements where there's some text, all particular characters (Like "é", "è", "à", etc...) are replaced by some question marks ("?"), which is very irritating !...

Does it exist a means to "fix" this problem once for all ?...

Unfortunately, KotOR lives in the old, non-internationalized C++ world, where all characters are represented by 1 byte each. Kotor Tool, on the other hand, written using the Microsoft .NET Framework, stores such "special" characters in a standard 2 byte pair. This makes for a big hassle when trying to deal with strings in a single-byte-per-character environment. I have yet to figure out an efficient conversion technique; today one must read each character of each string, check if it is one of the special cases, and determine the single-byte replacement. This hurts performance.

So, for the present, there isn't any Kotor Tool-centric solution. You could, perhaps, use the generic Bioware GFF editor to update your text strings.

So, for the present, there isn't any Kotor Tool-centric solution. You could, perhaps, use the generic Bioware GFF editor to update your text strings.

It's already done ! I've adopted this GFF Editor. It is perhaps not as ergonomic as KotOR Tool but it is at least also powerful...

Originally posted by Leviathan

It's already done ! I've adopted this GFF Editor. It is perhaps not as ergonomic as KotOR Tool but it is at least also powerful...

I agree; it is sort of like using a Hex editor to write a resume' or using only hand tools to build a house. Possible but unpleasant! :)

Originally posted by Darkkender

Downloading now Fred it looks like you have the problem I found fixed. I'll have to check the placeable editor on the one to see if it vanishes as well.

I have an estimated 400 more posts untill my glow.

I found a minor "cut-and-paste-repairable" problem in the Item editor that was preventing the Base items combobox from displaying data from the baseitems.2da when it was located in the Override folder.

It has now been fixed and will appear in the next release of Kotor Tool.

Archived