Home

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Fred Tetra

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Ellderon

Of, FRED, one feature I was dying for ever since KOTOR 1 one came out... the abiltity to add columns to 2da files!!!

PWETTY PWEASE!!!

Even if Fred opened this feature up to us like is in other 2da editors. We would not be able to implement the new columns into the game due to the fact that these are hard-coded game engine elements that make the calls to the 2da file. Because of this even when a 2da file can have a new column added the new column will never be able to be read.

Originally posted by Gsccc

Ok Fred, just to make sure, I tested it on another computer as well as my now reformated one, and it still doesnt work, I am unable to copy and paste rows, and when i try to use the Module editor it says access to blah blah blah/Fred Tetra/Kotor Tool/Maps is denyed, Details, Continue, Quit. Is anyone else having this problem, this is with Kotor 2 btw.

These bugs do indeed exist; it is not your fault. :)

I'm working on them!

Sorry!

Originally posted by Leviathan

I've known that programs using .NET Framework will not work on Windows XP 64-Bit Edition... And KotOR Tool uses this runtime. So, do you know if this modding tool could be "converted" in C# or C++ ?...

Thanks !...

It could be converted, if I didn't have to work, lived with my parents, and there were 36 hours in a day :)

But I do have to work, my parents are gone, and there's still 24 hours in a day, last I checked. :D

I'm trying to figure out how to make certain items upgradeable (eg, Freedon Nadd and Visas Marr's lightsabers, Freedon Nadd's blade [which for some reason isn't in the items list? I stumbled over it in 411DXN_s.rim-->Blueprint, Items...], etc.). I *did* look through the tutorials--I'm not totally helpless--but don't see one for this type of thing. I imagine it has something to do with the base item and "Upgrade Level"? Do I need to dig into the baseitem.2da? Or am I not even close? ;)

Originally posted by Daebryn

To change the upgrade level on items, check out this thread.

Basically you need to open the UTI with the GFFEditor then modify the UpgradeLevel field.

Cool--thanks, that's just what I was looking for. One question though:

In the "Item Editor" when I double click a .uti file there is a "Upgrade Level" field, but it seems to ALWAYS be zero. Yet when I look at the .uti as a text file, it's the correct value. What's up with that?

PS Fred, this is an amazing piece of work. I had only toyed around with it with KotOR, but now I'm beginning to see just how powerful [insert Darth Vader breathing SFX] it is. Good job and thanks a million for making this!

Dang it--I've edited the Upgrade Level [byte] in the text editor, but when I use the GiveItem cheat, it comes up as unidentified (sonic grenade icon) item. Then when I go to edit the .uti again KT gives me an "Unhandled Exception Error". Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Edit: I've also noticed that when I open it as Text (File-->View GFF Files as Text) and save it, it increases the file size from ~2k to ~10k after I make the change for Upgrade Level.

Originally posted by beel2112

Dang it--I've edited the Upgrade Level [byte] in the text editor, but when I use the GiveItem cheat, it comes up as unidentified (sonic grenade icon) item. Then when I go to edit the .uti again KT gives me an "Unhandled Exception Error". Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Edit: I've also noticed that when I open it as Text (File-->View GFF Files as Text) and save it, it increases the file size from ~2k to ~10k after I make the change for Upgrade Level.

To quote from page 20 of this thread:

"Kotor Tool does not have a text-based GFF editor. It has a "View GFF files as text" function, but the operative word here is View, as in look at. If you are trying to use files saved from the text editor in the game, they will not work; they are text files, not GFF files."

A new version of Kotor Tool will be posted today.

If you're manually downloading, check that the version number is the one below.

v1.0.1892.29047 (2005-3-7 16:36)

Features/updates:

• Fixed bug in 2DA editor that occurred when pasting a row
  • Module editor works again and now uses embedded KotOR game version info if present in .GIT file.

Originally posted by sketch42

where do i find .map files for the module editor???

Congratulations! You're the first person to ask!

I need to find a new home for the map files, probably at starwarsknights.com in the files section. Until I get that set up, if you have a request for a map, just email me.

Your map choices are:

m02aa - South apartments

m02ac - Upper city south

m08aa - Davik's estate

m10aa - \

m10ab - - Black Vulkar base

m10ac - /

m11aa - Hidden Bek base

m16aa - Sandral estate

m42aa - Elder settlement

m43aa - Rakatan settlement

Originally posted by Fred Tetra

I need to find a new home for the map files, probably at starwarsknights.com in the files section. Until I get that set up, if you have a request for a map, just email me.

Your map choices are:

m02aa - South apartments

m02ac - Upper city south

m08aa - Davik's estate

m10aa - \

m10ab - - Black Vulkar base

m10ac - /

m11aa - Hidden Bek base

m16aa - Sandral estate

m42aa - Elder settlement

m43aa - Rakatan settlement

ill host them... right now im in between hosts.. so im using geocities.. but iin a couple of days i think i should have another host :D .... .. also is there any chance of map files for K2? what do we need to do?

I need to find a new home for the map files, probably at starwarsknights.com in the files section.

Hey Fred, if you need storage just let me know. I have tons and plenty of bandwidth to boot.

Let me know if you want me to store them for you and I can give you a link you can post on your site so it's easier for everyone to find them...

Originally posted by sketch42

ill host them... right now im in between hosts.. so im using geocities.. but iin a couple of days i think i should have another host :D .... .. also is there any chance of map files for K2? what do we need to do?

To do the KotOR 2 maps, I need CChargin to update MDLOps to work with KotOR 2 so I can extract the models for map assembly.

He's an excellent coder, from what I've seen, so I expect he'll have it worked out in the near future.

Originally posted by ChAiNz.2da

Hey Fred, if you need storage just let me know. I have tons and plenty of bandwidth to boot.

Let me know if you want me to store them for you and I can give you a link you can post on your site so it's easier for everyone to find them...

If the StarWarsKnights site doesn't work out, I may take you up on it ;) (Or maybe I will anyway, just as a backup!)

The error message is a bit misleading, as it was more relevant to KotOR I, when all versions of the game had the same chitin.key file.

One of Kotor Tool's users was kind enough to send me his chitin.key file to examine. In the German version, two files referenced in the key file, gui.bif and scripts.bif, have different lengths than the version I developed against, which Kotor Tool interprets as a corrupt key file. Other countries versions may have other differences.

I have updated the code to not exit the tool when this is the case.

While I cannot request posting of the required files due to legal issues, setting up Kotor Tool to recognize non-US versions would either:

(a) Require access to the chitin.key file and (after initial testing) some if the game's BIF files,

or

(b) Require some volunteers from different countries to participate in some special testing.

Any volunteers?

I have a UK version of the game and with the new kotortool it doesnt crash anymore.

Great work!!

Originally posted by una

I have a UK version of the game and with the new kotortool it doesnt crash anymore.

Great work!!

Glad to hear it works for you now!

Here's what I found by looking at the chitin.key files for the German, Italian and Spanish versions of the game: each indicated that the scripts.bif and gui.bif files were different from the US version, but the same size amongst the various international versions.

As I don't have copies of these files for the international versions, I cannot tell you what the exact difference is (I'd sure like to know, though!), but I made an allowance in Kotor Tool for the file size differences by simply displaying an informative message instead of quitting the application.

If I had the German, Italian and Spanish scripts.bif and gui.bif files, I could do a further analysis, but I don't think I can legally request these files. (Not that it will stop someone from sending them to me, I'm sure!)

Originally posted by DarthSmallz

Hey Fred, can you post the exact link for the newest KT, and it will start downloading right there? Because everytime I go to your site, and download it, It dosent install the right version, Thanks!:D

The link is http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/kotor_tool_setup.exe

When you download the file, right click on it, choose Properties from the menu, then in the kotor_tool_setup.exe Properties window, click on the Version tab. In the Item Name list box, click on File Version. The version number here should match the one on the website when you downloaded it.

If, after install, the version of the program isn't right, use the Add/Remove Programs control panel to remove it, then to be sure, go delete anything left behind in the actual Kotor Tool folder. The typical path is C:\Program Files\Fred Tetra\Kotor Tool\. When the folder is all cleaned out, run the installer again. When you run Kotor Tool, it will attempt to detect the game(s) you have installed and set up the paths for you.

Originally posted by Uchiha Itachi

The update check is kinda flawed.

Just letting ya know, is not a MUST to fix now, cuz I think the yours priorities are about fixing the Tool errors.

Sometimes when a new version is out it won't say here. I check and it says there is not a new version.

Then I do again and it works.

Yes, it is not perfect, to be sure. It was designed for intranet use, where your chance at getting the version status from the hosting web site on the first try is near 100%. Unfortunately, my ISP has some pretty slow response times as of recently, even for me, and I am on the same local network!

The auto-update feature was added because it became such a chore to answer questions for people who were encountering problems that had been fixed sometimes months prior because they were unaware a new version had been released.

I hope to improve the robustness of the feature as Kotor Tool matures.

Thanks for the info!

(I need to get some cha mate' - too bad I can't go to Brazil and get some more!)

Archived