Home

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Fred Tetra

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by MacLeodCorp

:confused:

When I try to alter the inventory for placeables, I hit the inventory options in the choice of placeabel, and then KOTOR Tool either crashes or gives me an error. I am trying to alter the inventory of a KOTOR II placeable.

:confused:

You didn't include quite enough information. I need to know (and this would be helpful for anyone to post when they're having problems):

1) What is the Kotor Tool version number? (Sometimes people say 'the latest' and only later do I find out that they're 1-4 versions behind; how I don't know...)

2) What GFF file are you trying to open - name and opening method?

(a) Is it one on your hard drive, opened via the File | Open GFF....

(b) Is it one from the treeview, via a double-click?

© Is it one you double-clicked on that caused Kotor Tool to open?

3) What version of KotOR is the file associated with, I or II:TSL? (yes you mentioned; this is to remind others)

4) What was the exact error message produced? If the dialog box with the "Details" button is shown, I need the stack trace up to but not including the "Loaded Assemblies" part or anything after it.

5) Which KotOR games do you have installed? I, II or both?

6) Did you ever edit this file outside of Kotor Tool?

fred 2 things... first have you found anything on the dlg file prob i was having? and second

as of right now i have all my utc files set to open with KT on click .. the problem with this is.. whenever i open a new UTx file(thats on my Harddrive) a new KT opens up.. so i can have 2 or more KT programs opened at all times... this is more of an annoyance..

TIA

Originally posted by sketch42

fred 2 things... first have you found anything on the dlg file prob i was having? and second

as of right now i have all my utc files set to open with KT on click .. the problem with this is.. whenever i open a new UTx file(thats on my Harddrive) a new KT opens up.. so i can have 2 or more KT programs opened at all times... this is more of an annoyance..

TIA

Your email just showed up - and I have no problem opening the file. The dialogue is pretty funny, too!

well its on what we like to call the internet.. just type in your web browser http://www.starwarsknights.com and follow the links to holowon labs

But is does crash when you try to save it back out again. I'll be taking a look at it.

As for the multiple instances of Kotor Tool, I haven't found a way to work around that yet. I'm not sure how other windows programs handle that either.

Originally posted by The Regent

In case anybody didn't know, CChargin has a new version of MDLOps that works with TSL.

By the way, great tool, Fred. :D

Actually, I have already re-written it for direct use within Kotor Tool (just like prior versions). I just have to do a bit more testing before I can include it in the next release.

Oh, and Thanks!

Originally posted by Fred Tetra

Your email just showed up - and I have no problem opening the file. The dialogue is pretty funny, too!

well its on what we like to call the internet.. just type in your web browser http://www.starwarsknights.com and follow the links to holowon labs

hehe you should hear how i recorded it.. lol i did my deepest southern accent for that voice.. lol

got an error with the tool.... ( version 1.0.1892.29047)

everytime i edit an item the editor wont save the correct TemplateResRef, if i load the item after saving it the field is empty, i've tried loading the items with Kse and i get many errors

Originally posted by Leviathan

I would wish to know how I can open all *.DLG files with tk102's DLGEditor in KotOR Tool, instead of the integrated dialogs' edition "module"...

Could you help me, please ?...

The long and the short of it is you open each of the dialogues in kotor tool and decide which one you need then you extract it from dialogue erf file. Now open it in TK's utility. Voila your set.

I have the same exact problem as MacLeodCorp, this happens when using GFF editor, to replicate take any uti file in the game, open it from within KT by doubleclicking, edit something, then save the file, now when I use the edited file in the game it does not show up, or is plain weird. If I try to open it after saving using "file->Open GFF files" it crashes with error about unhandled exception (Object reference not set to an instance of an object.)

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
  at kotor_tool.clsGFF.GFFReadField(GFFFieldEntry fieldEntry)
  at kotor_tool.clsGFF.GFFReadStruct(GFFStructEntry& structEntry)
  at kotor_tool.clsGFF.Parse(Byte[] bytes)
  at kotor_tool.clsGFF..ctor(FileStream fs, Int32 KotorVerIndex)
  at kotor_tool.frmMain.GetGFFFileKotorVersionIndex(String filepath)
  at kotor_tool.frmMain.OpenGFFFileInEditor(String filepath, Int32 formLocationOffset)
  at kotor_tool.frmMain.miOpenGFFFile_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.MenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.MenuItemData.Execute()
  at System.Windows.Forms.Command.Invoke()
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmCommand(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

A number of bugs that were apparently never "activated" in the GFF-handling code in Kotor Tool made themselves evident after updating it to support TSL.

I found a really big one yesterday that was the cause of (as far as I can tell) the errors many of you are having.

For the technically-mined out there, when a GFF List had it's elements cleared, I was not taking into account the fact that some of the members of the list could be lists themselves or structs that contained lists as one of their fields. This caused there to be "orphan" structs left behind that "belonged" to no one and threw off all sorts of size calculations and structure counts.

Despite this major oversight, all of the UT* editors worked fine up unti TSL's release, when I discovered minor bug in the list updating code, which, when fixed, caused the aforementioned problem to become evident when people saved their files back out.

I think I've fixed this by doing a recursive search amongst the list elements for lists and structs, removing and updating data from the leaf lists back up to the parent list we were trying to clear.

This fix should be present in the next release of Kotor Tool.

A number of bugs that were apparently never "activated" in the GFF-handling code in Kotor Tool made themselves evident after updating it to support TSL.

I found a really big one yesterday that was the cause of (as far as I can tell) the errors many of you are having.

For the technically-mined out there, when a GFF List had it's elements cleared, I was not taking into account the fact that some of the members of the list could be lists themselves or structs that contained lists as one of their fields. This caused there to be "orphan" structs left behind that "belonged" to no one and threw off all sorts of size calculations and structure counts.

Despite this major oversight, all of the UT* editors worked fine up unti TSL's release, when I discovered minor bug in the list updating code, which, when fixed, caused the aforementioned problem to become evident when people saved their files back out.

I think I've fixed this by doing a recursive search amongst the list elements for lists and structs, removing and updating data from the leaf lists back up to the parent list we were trying to clear.

This fix should be present in the next release of Kotor Tool.

is this bug only with gff files or with dlg files as well?

Hi Fred,

Sorry to hit you with this, considering how great (and how free!) your tool is, but...

Whenever I export a Kotor2 2DA to XML; upon importing the XML I get the following message when attempting to save back to 2DA:

The columns added via the Show Strings function will be removed so that the file can be saved properly.

...after which, all colums of data (with the exception of "Row Label") disappear.

This occurs even if I haven't edited the XML before import.

I have the latest version of Kotor Tool, and have both Kotor 1 and 2 installed on my computer.

Is there a work-around for this, or maybe an upcoming fix?

Thanks.

Originally posted by operagh0st

Hi Fred,

Sorry to hit you with this, considering how great (and how free!) your tool is, but...

Whenever I export a Kotor2 2DA to XML; upon importing the XML I get the following message when attempting to save back to 2DA:

The columns added via the Show Strings function will be removed so that the file can be saved properly.

...after which, all colums of data (with the exception of "Row Label") disappear.

This occurs even if I haven't edited the XML before import.

I have the latest version of Kotor Tool, and have both Kotor 1 and 2 installed on my computer.

Is there a work-around for this, or maybe an upcoming fix?

Thanks.

It's OK to mention problems with Kotor Tool, my users are one of the best sources of info! It'd be hard (and time-consuming) to test every feature for every release!

I was unaware of the probelm you're having; I will take a look into it.

Originally posted by Leviathan

I would wish to know how I can open all *.DLG files with tk102's DLGEditor in KotOR Tool, instead of the integrated dialogs' edition "module"...

Could you help me, please ?...

The long and the short of it is you open each of the dialogues in kotor tool and decide which one you need then you extract it from dialogue erf file. Now open it in TK's utility. Voila your set.

So, I suppose that there's no means to open dialog files with tk102's DLGEditor directly in KotOR Tool...

Thanks anyway !...

Hey Fred if I understand your technical details on the GFF file editing. Does this string of bugs and there apropriate fix address a problem I am discovering in KOTOR Tool. That is I create my new UTC file just fine however whenever I wish to make certain changes such as saving my portraits choice in particular. It seems to not save and write the new data to the UTC file. It just reverts back to the default portraits option.

Originally posted by Darkkender

Hey Fred if I understand your technical details on the GFF file editing. Does this string of bugs and there apropriate fix address a problem I am discovering in KOTOR Tool. That is I create my new UTC file just fine however whenever I wish to make certain changes such as saving my portraits choice in particular. It seems to not save and write the new data to the UTC file. It just reverts back to the default portraits option.

Since the GFF support in Kotor Tool is essential to every UT* editor and the Conversation and Module editors, I wouldn't be surprised if the bug I found was the cause.

A new version of Kotor Tool will be posted today.

If you're manually downloading, check that the version number is the one below.

v1.0.1900.17897 (2005-3-14 11:52)

Features/updates:

• Fixed bug in GFF class that caused data corruption when Lists were manipulated under certain conditions.
  • Module editor now looks in Kotor Tool directory for Mapinfo.bfd file.
  • Beta code added to GFF class to handle international characters better.
  • Fixed bug in 2DA editor that would sometimes cause problems when loading an XML format file.
  • Check for Updates function will no longer try to download while new version is being uploaded.

v1.0.1900.17897 (2005-3-14 11:52)

Features/updates:

• Fixed bug in GFF class that caused data corruption when Lists were manipulated under certain conditions.
  • Module editor now looks in Kotor Tool directory for Mapinfo.bfd file.
  • Beta code added to GFF class to handle international characters better.
  • Fixed bug in 2DA editor that would sometimes cause problems when loading an XML format file.
  • Check for Updates function will no longer try to download while new version is being uploaded.

I completely forgot to mention that this release of Kotor Tool includes a new version of MDLOps that supports TSL models, customized for GUI-less operation.

You can now extract TSL models just like in the KotOR I portion of the treeview.

Those of you who'd asked about maps for the Module editor will be happy to know that the initial tests I have done proved to work out OK.

If anyone is interested in helping make maps for KotOR I or TSL, you can read the instructions here

v1.0.1900.40262 (2005-3-15 23:27)

Features/updates:

• Simplified the Path Manager interface
  • Added support for NwnNSSComp 1.02 to the Project Manager
  • Project Manager now reports error when script compilation fails and gives option to continue or quit.
  • Fixed bug in window size persistence code
  • Added Widow Size and Location persistence for Project Manager

The instructions for using the Project Manager for compiling scripts are here

Archived