Home

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Fred Tetra

Do you have the games installed? If not, then you'll need to install them. If so, make sure that you've set the paths for both games. KT should do this automatically, however you can also set paths by clicking on File>Manage Paths.

I hope that helps.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do have the games installed, although TSL never did work for some reason but I only wanted to mod the original kotor, KotorI is installed and runs well, I've downloaded a few mod's and most of them work perfeclty also. After reading different tutorials I think could figure out how to do a lot of the modding described, but when I use the kotor tool it's like there is nothing to work with, just the names of the two games. I don't know how to fix this and access the files I need to mod kotor. I have a lot of ideas for weapons, recruits, missions and stuff, I just can't get started on figuring out how to make them because I must be missing something either in the download of the tool or in my use of it but I can't figure out what it is.

Sorry I thought that I read the whole post, I forgot about that for some reason while I was trying to figure out if my installation was the problem but I'm fairly sure that it is correct (C:\program files\Lucasarts\SWKotor,) that was the only one on that page, the second page had only one path but it was for TSL, the third page looks like this,

import path [

save path [C:\modding\Fred Tetra Kotor Tool]

image viewer [

model export path [

some of the tutorials showed a page with the main kotor directory, like I have written at the top of this, and other directories underneath it for bifs or rims or something like that but mine didn't have them. Could that be why the tool can't find any files for me to edit?

Don't worry about those. Those won't affect your ability to mod files. When you said everything was blank I'd assumed that you meant the game paths too. Why don't you PM me a screen shot of what you do have/can see and we'll stop cluttering up this thread. If we do find a resolution, we can post it here for others with similar problems. If not we'll let everyone know and someone else can take a crack at it. Fair enough?

• 1 month later...

Installation

------------

Copy the files contained in the ZIP archive to the Kotor Tool Maps directory,

typically "C:\Program Files\Fred Tetra\Kotor Tool\Maps".

Getting started

---------------

To try out the Module editor, let us assume you want to work with the South Apartments

on Taris, which is the tar_m02aa set in the KotOR I | RIMs | Modules tree.

1) Open the treeview to KotOR I | RIMs | Modules

2) Locate the node named tar_m02aa.rim

3) Right-click on the node and select "Extract for Module editing"

4) In the Browse for Folder dialog, create a new folder for the module files and select it.

5) After extraction is complete, you will be prompted to decide whether the module editor will

open to the extract folder. Choose "Yes"

6) Click the Module editor button on the main Kotor Tool window

7) The folder you extracted to should be selected. If not, do so. Click OK.

8) You will be prompted to select the KotOR version, select KotOR I.

9) Assuming you copied both the mapm02aa.map and mapm02aa_lg.map files to the Map directory,

you will be prompted to select the map resolution. If you have a larger monitor, select "Yes".

Some modules have just a high or low resolution map, in this case it will automatically use it.

10) Edit the module. For example, drag a Creature from the right-hand tree to the map, then click the Save button.

11) Choose "Save" from the File menu to save your changes to the .git file.

12) Copy the contents of your Module Project folder to KotOR's Override folder or use the

"Copy Project to Override Folder" menu item.

13) Load up KotOR and warp or walk to the Taris apartment ring where the Hideout is.

Remember, the Module editor is a Work-In-Progress. No real support for it can be offerred at this time.

Fred Tetra

Kotor Tool Developer

2005-3-8

ok...ur instruction for module editing dont work...u cant rite click the node and click *extract for module editing

Originally posted by darthrichard

ok...ur instruction for module editing dont work...u cant rite click the node and click *extract for module editing

By Fred Tetra

Remember, the Module editor is a Work-In-Progress. No real support for it can be offerred at this time.

Sorry, but that program is a work in progress, and is yet to be complete, Fred only was able to map out a few of the areas in KOTOR I to be useable, so this program is of limited use.

Until then it is up to the tried and true GFF Editor to make new areas (Read: re-use modules for new areas).

If this is your first mod, making a module is not for novice modders, you should likely start with simpler mods and work your skillset up until you are able to do a mod like this.

Of course if you are allready knowledgeable in scripting, utp's, utm's, utc's, etc. then please ignore my ramblings. ;)

Originally posted by Darth Melignous

Just curious as to if anyones heard from Fred as of late? Wondering if he's gonna keep updating KOTORtool.

While I would love to have the answer to this, I don't. I however suspect that we shall not see Fred around again. He has not been on the board since the incident earlier in this thread by Stormtrooper768. I think he has chosen to wash his hands of the Holowan due to that incident. I and a couple others have tried sending him emails and gotten no response as well.

So even VIP members aren't getting updates? I thought money talks...

I still see Fred peek in on the forum though. Hi Fred :waive1:

But you know, KotOR Tool is pretty complete... module editing (including new walkmesh deciphering) was where he left off and that was big piece to bite into. I don't know how far along he got there but I believe a lot of the maps were done with the help of others, so... :giveup: That sure would have been a sweet addition to KotOR Tool though.

Originally posted by Uchiha Itachi

What incident was that?

I see people talking but I don't remember of it!!

What happened?!

If you want to know what happened, I can give you a link to that via PM... I don't want to provide a link to that in this thread, since Fred might come back, and I don't think anyone wants to remind him about it.

I read that up there but thought maybe it got snipped by D333 or T7 before to long up. I have no clue what purpose that would serve. Well I feel for Fred man that sucks. I won't ask any more than that :D

I agree Ktool is kewl as is. I don't know what I'd do for modding without it. ;) Heck I always start with opening that up...lol

I'm pondering using it to try modding the K1 game. I hope the .uti, .utc and all that good jazz are pretty much the same.

DM

I'm pondering using it to try modding the K1 game. I hope the .uti, .utc and all that good jazz are pretty much the same.

Don't worry, they're quite similar. KT works the same way with K1 as it does for tsl.

KT is fully compatable with KOTOR I, all it's built-in functions were originally made for that game... not TSL.

Originally posted by tk102

So even VIP members aren't getting updates? I thought money talks...

I still see Fred peek in on the forum though. Hi Fred :waive1:

But you know, KotOR Tool is pretty complete... module editing (including new walkmesh deciphering) was where he left off and that was big piece to bite into. I don't know how far along he got there but I believe a lot of the maps were done with the help of others, so... :giveup: That sure would have been a sweet addition to KotOR Tool though.

can u pm me it?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks!

I'm sorry I haven't had much time to work on Kotor Tool or check emails!

We've been pretty busy at work lately, trying to get a product release out before the end of July. With that hanging over my head, I've been suffering from programmer burn-out. I just haven't felt like coding or forum-ing in a while. Most of my evenings have been spent watching a bit of the TV before going to bed early.

I have made some updates to Kotor Tool to support the TSL Restoration project as well as a few other minor fixes from time to time, but I haven't been able to put out a complete release just yet. Real Soon Now... really!

Also, while I can't take the time right now to respond to all of the email I found in my box, please let me say "thanks" for all of your kind comments and concern. I'm doing more or less well, but spare time has been very limited. I did finally take a vacation, as well, though the sometimes 118 degree (F) heat indices made it a bit toastier than chilled-server-room Fred is used to! :)

See you all around!

Archived