Home

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Fred Tetra

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a problem when I use my Module Editor to open the .git file, this is what I get when opening it:

http://img476.imageshack.us/img476/9346/kotortoolerror4tf.gif

Did you install the latest mapinfo.bfd file? It should be on the same page as the maps (top of the page)...

Without it, KT won't recognize any of the newer maps loaded. The map851nih is one of Fred's latest I believe..(yesterday IIRC) :)

I have a problem when I use my Module Editor to open the .git file, this is what I get when opening it:

http://img476.imageshack.us/img476/...oolerror4tf.gif

Something else you (and anyone else who has a Kotor Tool problem) should do (at the bare minimum) is to always post the version of Kotor Tool you're using. Remember, the more relevant info you post, the easier it is to solve your problem.

No developer likes to play the "How little information can I solve this problem with?" game. :D

So, a better way to ask for help would be:

"I get an error while trying to load the KotOR II module 851nih. I am using version 1.0.2171.12345 of Kotor Tool and version 1.2005.1010.1 of MapInfo.bfd and have copied the large map (map851nih.map) to the Maps folder inside of the Kotor Tool folder. I used the Extract for Module Editing function to put module's contents into a folder under My Documents\Module Projects\851nih. When I launch the Module editor, choose Open and select that folder, I get this error. (screenshot or EXACT text of error message here)."

This is the level of detail that can get your problem solved ASAP. If the abover versions were actual, I could easily say that version 1.2005.1010.1 of MapInfo.bfd didn't support the map for 851nih.

The idea is to second guess all of the things that might need to be known to solve your problem and post them in one fell swoop. That way, the chances are that you'll get a "next visit from Fred" anwser instead of waiting through several requests and replies of extra info.

Fred...

I know this is a bit trivial, but could you possibly change the 'Model Export path' text box on the Path Manager form to a drop down combo box in a future update? I like to keep my models stored in more than one directory (especially to keep the k1 and k2 models separate) and it would save the hassle of having to "Browse for Folder" each time.

Whether you do or not, thanks anyway :) I love the tool. :3heart: I use the snot out of it. Excellent work and it just keeps getting better!

Ok, I'll remember it in the future. :)

Ok, look at this: "I get an error while trying to load the KotOR II module 851nih. I am using version 1.0.2193.42740 of Kotor Tool and version 1.2005.1006.1 of MapInfo.bfd and have copied the large map (map851nih.map) to the Maps folder inside of the Kotor Tool folder. When I tried to use the Extract for Module Editing function to put module's contents into a folder under Kotor, I get this error: http://img476.imageshack.us/img476/...oolerror4tf.gif

When I extract the .git, .ifo and .are file seperately, I get the same error when I launch the Module editor, choose open and select the folder area in g:\Kotor Modding\area.

Are you using the manual download of mapinfo.bfd or the auto setup i always get that error with the auto setup and have to do the manual download.

Yes, with Manual Setup it works. Thanks rgdelta!

It seems the MapInfo.bfd file is smaller if you do auto setup.

Yeah looks like for some reason the installer for the mapinfo.bfd installs a different or corrupt version.

As it turns out, the installer script was building the setup program using an old version of MapInfo.bfd.

For quite some time, the file was built by an external program and the script built the setup using its output.

Now, however, the file is built in the same location as Kotor Tool; I just forgot to adjust the path in the script.

This has been corrected and a new setup program has been posted to the Kotor Tool site.

I've made some tenative changes to Kotor Tool so that it can handle alternate maps and calibrations, which should allow users to work with modules that contain an additional "cutscene stage/set" without having to have both the main and stage areas on the map screen at the same time. I should be able to do some more testing tonight and I'll post the results then.

Ah well. I've tried uninstalling it and downloading again, nothing helped. Would reinstalling KOTOR do anything?

Download and run the .NET framework version checker here:

http://www.tmgdevelopment.co.uk/versioncheck.htm

Then copy the results to the clipboard and paste them into a post.

Also, a screenshot of the error message would be handy.

Making it, would, however, make my life more inconvenient. :) It would take some sizable motivation to take the time to extend it to fully handle K2 dialogs.

In other news, the maps for the 10 original modules for Kotor I are now available for download from the new Kotor Tool site.

Since maps for K1 take sooo long to assemble (3+ hours each, usually) I don't plan on doing any more of them unless someone really wants to "commision" one for themselves.

Why do they take so long?? Is it just cutting off the roofs or is it aligning them. If it is the aligning part mustn't there be a way to do it automaticly like the game does in like 2 seconds??

Here's the results...

Installed .NET Runtime(s)

Failed. The latest version is available for download from http://www.microsoft.com/net/default.asp. Installed version must be at least 1.0.3705.0.

Current version: No runtimes installed.

ADO Database Runtime Version

OK.

Current version: 2.81.1117.0

Determined from file: C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\ado\msado15.dll

Internet Explorer Version

OK.

Current version: 6.0.2900.2805

Determined from file: C:\WINDOWS\System32\shdocvw.dll

VersionCheck © 2002-2004 TMG Development Ltd - http://www.tmgdevelopment.co.uk/versioncheck/indexapp.htm

Heh, I'm not sure how to take a shot of a page on the Internet, so I hope that will do...I'm guessing I need that thing that failed and it should work huh?

A new version of Kotor Tool has been posted today.

If you're manually downloading, check that the version number is the one below.

v1.0.2201.41632 (2006-1-11 1:31)

Features/updates:

• Support for alternate Module maps added, such as 104per, which has an extra "cutscene stage".

New MapInfo.bfd (v1.2006.0111.1) and maps to support these modules has been posted:

• 104per - Peragus Asteroid Exterior
  • 232tel - Telos Underground Base
  • 233tel - Telos Czerka Site

Hi I just wanted to say thanks for the neat hardware its really cool. Unfortunately I am hopelessly slow when it comes to learning how to use programs like this.

My question is this everytime I want to view an image it tells me that the viewer I configured isn't in the location that I specified. I think I know why its doing this, I installed a new video card and the Kotor games wont run until I've updated my drivers. Of course being the idiot I am I can't figure out how to do that either. But if you could tell me how to reconfigure the hardware so I can see images I would appreciate it.

Silver

Hi I just wanted to say thanks for the neat hardware its really cool. Unfortunately I am hopelessly slow when it comes to learning how to use programs like this.

My question is this everytime I want to view an image it tells me that the viewer I configured isn't in the location that I specified. I think I know why its doing this, I installed a new video card and the Kotor games wont run until I've updated my drivers. Of course being the idiot I am I can't figure out how to do that either. But if you could tell me how to reconfigure the hardware so I can see images I would appreciate it.

Silver

Changing you video card shouldn't affect something simple like viewing images. My only guesses are that either your path to the viewer is wrong or it doesn't take an image specification on the command line. That is, if you opened a command prompt, CD'd to the image viewer directory, then typed viewerAppNameHere completePathToTGAFile you should see the .TGA file. For example:

CD c:\progrs\irfanview

irfan c:\my pics\lbl_map201tel.tga

You're not stupid, Silver. I know we techies tend to take these things for granted, but statements like "open a command prompt and CD to the image viewer directory" aren't meaningful to everyone ;) I'm sure Silver isn't the only one out there who isn't familiar with DOS commands nowadays.

I don't have the tool in front of me, but under one of the menus, there's something about setting paths. I've gotten that error message myself when I know darn well I haven't even touched the image viewer path (right after I re-installed, maybe?), and opening that path editor, leaving the image viewer path blank, and closing it made it use the internal image viewer without any more complaints.

Fred I have a problem I am running Kotor Tool version 1.0.2201.41632 with mapinfo.bfd version I downloaded from your site just today and when I try to open 101Per in the module editor I get the error message "you have the map for this module, but the MapInfo file appears to be corrupt or out-of date."

I have the 101Per Large Map in my map folders if I look at maps supported it shows 101PER as small - Unsupported Large - Available.

If I delete the map from my map folder I get under maps supported 101PER as small - Unsupported Large - File Missing.

I tried both the autoinstall mapinfo.bfd and the manual install still nothing .

Also this is a fresh extract from the RIM file using extracting for module editing.

Archived