Home

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Fred Tetra

@Fred: Those feature upgrades look amazing! Your tool just keeps on getting better and better.

@General Kenobi: Thanks, but that didn't work. I generally keep my computer pretty clean from all things that I don't want and I can't see how I have managed to latch onto a download accelerator when I can't find any trace of it.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Fred...Great work Fred. Seems everytime I get free enough to post & check in you've made leaps and bounds on our favorite KOTOR & TSL tool! :D Looking forward to downloading my copy.

@Pavlos...Hemmm, can you download other files from other sites or how about the maps or other things on Fred's site? There are also a few "spyware" types out there that do either the "redirect" thang or the "do nothing when he clicks me" thang. I'd run Ad-Aware & Spybot Search & Destroy. Hopefully one of those will find a culprit you can eliminate.

EDIT: Pavlos, sounds like you might need to "reinstall" Internet Explorer. That would most likely fix your problem. If your not using the beta I'd try that or using another browser.

Rock on Fred!

:ben:

General Kenobi

Yeah, that was the first thing I did - run spybot. I also did a virus scan then checked things in my registry to see if anything was out of the ordinary and I found nothing.

EDIT: AGH! I checked my firewall and it turns out that it was blocking my referer which might explain a lot of the troubles I have been having downloading off a few sites - the problem is fixed now. Can't wait for the next version, Fred!

FT: Updates as of 2006-23-2)

Here's another screenshot from the upcoming release of Kotor Tool, showing the new Custom Items treeview of the Inventory Editor.

The Custom Items treeview is populated with items found in the Kotor Tool Global Templates folder, and when editing a Module, it will also show items found in the module's project folder. Each is shown in a different color, and a tooltip on the legend label will show you the path currently used for that category of item.

You can also now use context (right-click) menu on an item in the GameItems or Custom Items treeviews, the Equipped Item slots, or the Pack Items grid to open the item properties viewer.

There are now buttons to open the Global Templates and Module Templates folders, so that you can manage their contents easily, and each has a tooltip on it that shows you the path it will open a Windows Explorer on. There is also a Refresh button ("R" button) that will update the Custom Items treeview after you've changed the folder's contents .

inventoryeditorcustom.jpg

The Item Editor has also been updated to allow you to select where in the Custom Items treeview your item will appear.

itemeditor.jpg

Hey Fred quick question. When your gff editor loads references from the 2da files does it search for the ".tlk" file entries for the name of the header for the line? (eg. as seen in the drop down menu of your item editor.)

Yes - Kotor Tool is very data-driven so that I don't have to worry about the names of things changing when new games come out. If I had hard-coded things like dropdowns, I would have had a lot of rework when KotOR II came out.

It takes more time to code this behavior than to simply enter the text, but in the long term it is easier to maintain.

I knew it was data driven I just couldn't recall if it only read the data in the 2da's or if it used the tlk file entries as well.

I was only curious considering KT's ability to use 2da file's in overide in case of mods like the Holowan Plugins for K1 & K2 which can have entries that may not mesh with tlk file entries. I didn't know if that might be something for a much later release of KT as a feature request whence I asked the question in the main thread.

[smacks head]Realized just now I could have started a seperate KT sub-forum thread for this series of questions.[/smacks head]

Some screenshots from the upcoming release of Kotor Tool:

The Search for Refs feature has been updated to allow the display the paths of items matching the search criteria. You can now choose to see the entire path or just the file name containing the match:

searchcriteria.jpg

Just the filenames:

searchresultsshort.jpg

Or the entire path:

searchresultslong.jpg

When can we expect the next version, Fred? Also, you said it is now using the .NET framework v2.0. Did you rewrite the whole tool or is 2.0 backwards compatible with 1.1?

When it's done. :)

It won't be backward compatible as far as the .NET Framework is concerned. Apps written for 1.0 or 1.1 will run under 2.0, but not the other way around. I rewrote a number of parts of Kotor Tool to better use memory and to take advantage of features only available in the new framework.

I suggest downloading the .NET Framework 2.0 in the near future, so you're ready.

It won't be backward compatible as far as the .NET Framework is concerned. Apps written for 1.0 or 1.1 will run under 2.0, but not the other way around. I rewrote a number of parts of Kotor Tool to better use memory and to take advantage of features only available in the new framework.

I suggest downloading the .NET Framework 2.0 in the near future, so you're ready.

I would like to add something to this as well. The various different .NET frameworks do not overwrite themselves. When you install .NET 2.0 your .NET 1.1 Framework remains in place. The same goes for .NET 1.0 Framework. The key reason for this is because there are some features that were in .NET 1.1 that are not present in .NET 2.0 so older .NET applications would need some of the older libraries for dependancy issues. Last fall I think it was discussed between myself, loneferret, & another forum member when loneferret released his KscriptEditor which requires .NET 2.0 to run. I myself have started to study .NET programming heavily and would highly recomend planning on getting the upgrade and having the added framework installed as your going to need it eventually.

Now back to our Regularly scheduled Fred Tetra "Kotor Tool God" Programming where he keeps bringing us those awesome screenshots.

And just for those of you who are weery of downloading the new .NET because your KT works as it is...(and you don't want to mess it up).. I played "guinea pig" and I've had 2.0 installed for over several weeks now and KT still runs like a dream ;)

As Fred Da' Man has asked.. I'd go ahead and download 2.0 now so you're not caught off-guard :)

View ALL versions of .NET to download here

If you're not a developer, I'd suggest downloading the "Redistributable Package" version for your system.

- x86 version for standard computers (32 bit)

- or the x64 version for the 64 bit system users..

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question to the conversation editor: How can I make it that a conversation possibility is only one time choosable.

Or how can I make it, that you can choose a conversation possiblity as long as you haven't finish the conversation completly?

For Fred in German :D:

Ich habe eine Frage zu dem Unterhaltungseditor: Wie kann ich es machen, das eine Gesprächsmöglichkeit nur einmal auswählbar ist?

Oder wie kann ich es machen, das man eine Gesprächsmöglichkeit so lange auswählen kann, bis das Gespräch vollständig abgeschlossen ist?

@ Fred: Did you recieve my mail? Hast du meine Nachricht erhalten?

I have a question to the conversation editor: How can I make it that a conversation possibility is only one time choosable.

Or how can I make it, that you can choose a conversation possiblity as long as you haven't finish the conversation completly?

You can use LocalBoolean variables to keep track of such things. Be careful when using LocalBooleans though since there is a limited number of them available and many are already used for creatures. 110-159 should be unused by the standard game and generally safe to use on your own creatures though.

How this is done depends on what game this is for:

• KotOR1: In the "Script determines if node is available" box you'll have to put the name of a script (NCS file) you will have to create that checks if a particular LocalBoolean is set.
    For example, if you use localboolean 120 to check if a dialog node has been picked, your script code could look like:
    int StartingConditional() {
       return !GetLocalBoolean(OBJECT_SELF, 120);
    }

The dialog node with that script attached would only show up if LocalBoolean 120 has not been set.

Then, on the dialog node where you wish to make the above node unavailable, you would add the name of a script in the "Script to run for this node" box, whose code would look something like:

void main() {
       SetLocalBoolean(OBJECT_SELF, 120, TRUE);
    }

This would set the LocalBoolean 120 when that dialog node is reached, blocking out those nodes who has the first conditional script attached.

• K2:TSL: The KotorTool Conversation editor does not work properly with Kotor2 dialog files and should not be used. Use the DLGEditor instead for this. For TSL there is less work involved since there are already standard scripts in the game to check and set LocalBooleans. Thus you will not need to make your own.

In the "Conditional #1" (or #2 if the first is already used) box (in DLGEditor) for the dialog node you wish to disappear, put the script name "c_local_notset". This script already exists in the game, so you won't have to create it. In the P1 (Parameter 1) field next to that box, put the LocalBoolean number you wish to check, in the above example "120".

Then, in the "Script #1" (or #2 if the first slot is already used) of the dialog node where you wish to make the first node(s) unavailable, add "a_local_set", again a script that already exists in the game, and set the P1 (Parameter 1) field next to that box to the LocalBoolean to set, "120" in the above example.

Thank you! Let me repeat it:

KotOR II: If I want that a script disappear, I have to type in "Script": c_local_notset right?

I must put in the script at the end of an dialog, right? Than the full conversation will be not availible, right?

• 3 weeks later...
my kotor tools doesnt work :( every time i start it up it says sumfin bout not being able to find chintin.key or sumfin i cant do ANYTHING with the tools.

I only have Kotor 2 TSL

Do you have the latest version downloaded from our hosted site?

http://kotortool.starwarsknights.com/

The chiten.key error was addressed I believe. Still you should be able to click continue and still use KT in any event.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone, New to the MOD scene and have DL'd KOTOR Tool because I heard it was VERY useful...my question is does anyone know where the attributes are kept. I'd like to experiment with them as well as the number of points given at game beginning and the number of points given at level up. If anyone can direct me to the appropriate files I would be most thankful,

Miklos

Hello everyone, New to the MOD scene and have DL'd KOTOR Tool because I heard it was VERY useful...my question is does anyone know where the attributes are kept. I'd like to experiment with them as well as the number of points given at game beginning and the number of points given at level up. If anyone can direct me to the appropriate files I would be most thankful,

Miklos

This should probably be in the Holowan Labs sub-forum. As for your question, you'd have to change the 2DA files for the class you play as in order to change the attributes, skills, feats, and spells they get upon level-up. Any 2DA files that have to do with class stats usually have "cls_" at the begining. Check "classes.2da" for the exact file names.

Archived