Home

Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Fred Tetra

This is all oh-so awesome work. Cannot wait for the map editing tools to get to a more finished state...though I want a dialog editing front-end more than that. ;) Good work - cannot wait to see all the awesome goodness that you bring with the program.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over the last few nights I added a few things to the module editor.

You now have a treeview on the left that shows the categorized items in the module (Creatures, Doors, etc.) Right clicking on an item in the tree or on the map brings up a property editor appropriate for the type of the item you clicked on. You can now edit the bearing (rotational orientation) of items, so those of you interested in appying Feng Shui to your maps to improve them will be happy. :D

Right now, I am trying to set it up so that you can adjust the points that define regions, such as those used by Triggers and Encounters. It's a pain, though not as bad as getting the Bearing to work for items; they use *3* different methods to represent the Bearing and lots of not-so-fun trigonometry is involved.

I had thought of a curious and possible work-around for module editing to allow the work to be done in 3D, but it's rather involved. I thought of a way to use the editor for Unreal to manipulate a representation of the map and objects in a level. There are only a few problems: 1) you have to own unreal (though the $10 bargain bin version is good enough); 2) someone would have to make up the maps and items in 3D.

It would probably take less time for someone to crank out the maps than to figure out the .MDL format.

Basically, I'd convert a .git file to mesh with the Unreal map, you'd edit it, then I'd extract the .git-specific info back out. An interesting idea, but I don't know how far I'll take it....

Don't know if this has been addressed but it seems that every 2da file i write to the override folder crashes the kotor tool when I try to reopen it. The files still work(canderous is still a women) but I can't do any more tweeking or a new mod without destroying the earlyer work...

While testing the Module Editor, I took this snapshot showing all of your friends visiting the Taris Apartments:

Visiting Day

The setup of this "scene" took less than a minute using the Module Editor; I just drag the desired item (a "creature" in this case) to a place on the map.

I also tried dropping a Mark IV droid in, but it started an all-out battle. All of the NPCs started fighting the droid (and beat it!). Quite something to see. I plan to try out a 10-on-10 battle with some of the Sith, or maybe see what it would be like if everyone where there to help with Malak ;)

I see that Carth's evil twin brother, Darth showed up too.

<imagination mode>

Carth and Darth start a dialog. Darth's faction changes to 1. Suddnely everyone attacks him.

Fred, that module editor is going to be fun toy. :r2d

1) When its done. (Good enough for Id Software, good enough for me. It may not work for my employer, but when it comes to KT, *I* am the boss of me <grin>)

2) Yes, it was his brother! (how did you know?) But his name is really Darth Elmo.

3a) The test button is a generic button that I use to activate code that is being evaluated. Say I come up with a function I think might be cool to have, but don't want to write all of the GUI code for it. I set it up so that when I click that button, it runs. If the code works OK...you get the picture :)

3b) I am developing the logic for the handling of custom everything. Meaning, you would have a custom section for each of the nine categories of things (not including cameras). I am debating whether to simply use items found in the override folder, or to go the step further (actually *much* further) and allow you to specify a "source" location for custom things. When you would save the module back out, the customs and instances (those things that you dragged off of the palette and edited) part of a new .rim file-pair. For those who don't know what that is, each module consists of a "definition" portion (the .are,.ifo, and .git files) and a "resources" portion (everything else). The files are named in the format mxxyy.rim (definition) and mxxyy_s.rim (resources). You will see if you look at a given module file-pair in KT that there are a lot of files contained within the two files. Therein lies the design choice I have to make: simpler, where you can edit only the .git file (which defines most of the important stuff) and release sooner, or go more complex (and complete) and release much later.

Originally posted by Fred Tetra

2) Yes, it was his brother! (how did you know?) But his name is really Darth Elmo.

Darth Elmo huh ..

http://img34.photobucket.com/albums/v102/ShadowFox75/caption134b.jpg

:p

and i say release the module edityor when you feel its ready , if oyu think editing just the git file is all you want to be able to do release it when that bit is ready to do

if you want the entire resouces and git file do both bits

~shrugs~

im still trying to make armour , lightsaber etc , so area editing would be way down my list of things i want to play with yet

ps that photo was taken from a starwars.com caption comp and that caption was one of the better ones , i didnt make it myself i just added it on to the photo

Very cool, Fred! Keep up the good work

Just wondering, what language and program do you use to create Kotor Tools? I have never gone into windows programming before. Do you have to create the windows, button, tabs, textboxes, etc from scratch or is there some kind of windows standards that you can use to create those interfaces rather easily?

Originally posted by gameunlimited

Very cool, Fred! Keep up the good work

Just wondering, what language and program do you use to create Kotor Tools? I have never gone into windows programming before. Do you have to create the windows, button, tabs, textboxes, etc from scratch or is there some kind of windows standards that you can use to create those interfaces rather easily?

Kotor Tool is coded largely in VB.NET (Microsoft's .NET version of Visual Basic.) and some C++. While some folks may choose to use C++ entirely, (and I have been a professional programmer using C++ for many years), VB.NET allows for very rapid application developement. Sure, maybe you won't see Doom IV written in it, but if you need an application now, as in your employer wants a proof of concept app in a few weeks, it is a great choice.

[Aside to asipiring programmers...

For those who are used to C++ and aren't willing to learn VB, give C# a try. The best part about both VB and C# is that you get an entire framework of classes (code already written to do things for you). For example, in the "old" VB, you had to worry about how to handle the resizing of a window; how draw each button, checkbox and label and their positions. Now you just tell one of these controls that it is anchored to certain sides of the form. For example, look at the tree view on the main screen of KT; notice that the tree resizes with the form? That used to take many lines of code that had to be replicated for each form; now you just click a property box and poof! it works.

If you think a career in programming might be for you:

1. If you're still in school, get at least algebra under your belt

2. Try your hand at writing a simple program; I recommend something that you want to do, you'll have more drive to see it done.

3. Try the VB or VB.NET languages; they're easy to learn and can help you establish the foundations for good programming style without having to worry about having to free memory when you're done with it or case-sensitivity of the code like C and C++. VB.NET does a lot of hand-holding that really helps speed things along. As a bonus, if you learn VB.NET, C# is easy enough to move to and *both* can be used side-by-side in the same program.

End programming recruitment soapbox :) ]

Originally posted by Fred Tetra

That's a great picture!

pic and quote "stolen" from the star wars website

was reading up a caption comp on there for that pic and liked a few so for a friend i chucked the quotes on to the pic and chucked it up on line

shes abig star wars fan , she even threatens me if i say episode 1 sucked :p

last program i coded was a sound scale program for windows , you know "ding , ding ding ding" getting higher pitched then lower ? i stuffed up though and instead of less then one second for the length of sound i made it 3 seconds .. and there were 20 notes to it .. ouch

this is why i let others do the programming now and just DL their programs

But I don't have a page where I sell on credit...

\Frist\ (fr[i^]st), v. t. [OE. fristen, firsten, to lend, give respite, postpone, AS. firstan to give respite to; akin to first time, G. frist, Icel. frest delay.] To sell upon credit, as goods

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by shosey

Ok fred, I have a BS in Computer Science - I've been out of college for almost two years with no prospective employers - how do I get a job :)

You could always do what I did, jump careers. I now work as a network engineer. Haven't written a computer program in almost 5 years. Sad, huh?

Archived