Home

Battle Of Endor Siege WIP

monsoontide

Would You Like Me To Finish The Battle Of Endor SIEGE Map?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Like Me To Finish The Battle Of Endor SIEGE Map?

• Yes Please! Let me kill some Rebel Scum.
    • No Thanks. I'm waiting for SW:Battlefront

O.K. Thanks Guys. Will continue working on this map.

(As a side note - all textures are tempoary as I will make some specifically for this map - the current ones are just to help me to work out how to set up a decent forrest effect.)

Also what is an .ASE model - and what is the difference between using that an an .md3? Also then, how do you make one?

Currently midway through updating my Bast Castle SAGA map from Jedi Outcast into a SIEGE map for Jedi Academy.

Nearly there - maybe another week or two - look for it end of FEB (Fingers crossed).

Acklay & Speeder bike will be early-mid Feb now. (I just haven't the time to work on everything at once!)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can make a set of brushes in a map, and turn it into a misc_model, which you can then attach to movers, use the angle, angles, modelscale, and modelscale_vec keys on! Only the latest q3map2 will do this. rgoer explained the process to me...here goes:

Build the structure you want to make into a model in Radiant (in this case, trees). The origin of the map file will be the origin of the model. Build a caulk box around it to prevent leaks, and add an info_player_start. Next, BSP the map with the line <path to q3map2> bsp -v -meta -patchmeta <path to map>. Then, run the following line on the finished BSP file: <path to q3map2> bsp -convert <path to new BSP file>. Look in your maps directory, and you'll find the file mapname.ase. This file can be used as a misc_model in a map! Just enter the path to the .ase file in the model key in the misc_model entity.

To have the map model react properly to lightmaps, use the key/value spawnflags 4. To have q3map2 auto-clip the model (make it solid), use spawnflags 2. For both, use spawnflags 6.

To sum up:

- Make the model out of brushes, save it as modelname.map

- Compile modelname.map to modelname.bsp

- Convert modelname.bsp to modelname.ase

- Load the model in Radiant as a misc_model

Well Actually I build my models in 3DSMAX since it's somewhat uncomfortable making models with Radiant :D

And Export them to ASE from Max ...

The advantage in ASE Models is that you can have bigger models with more polys.

Since MD3 Models are limited in their dimensions my trees wouldn't work as md3's not cause of the facecount but because of their height.

5 Trees done yet ... thinking about another 5 to come.

But hey if anyone knows what Redwood leafs look like could you give me some Pics or a brief description? :D

Well and of course my SPeederbike s also in the making :D

New effects and sounds are added ... still need someone to finish the skin.

Pahricida

OK - seems simple enough.

The next question would be - where's the ASE plugin for MAX (I don't really use MAX if I can help it) and is it (The ASE plugin) compatible with

3DS Max 6? (Since some of the other Raven plugins aren't - at least last time i tried them.)

Also HapSlash's stuff is great - but he (like me) models a lot of stuff but doesn't seem to get many of them "in-game".

Anyone familiar with making weapons for JA (I mean blasters?) - or can point me in the direction of a tutorial on this - I've modeled the Scout Trooper pistol and would like to get it in game (Replace the old bryar pistol) for the Endor Map.

As far as pictures of redwood trees - just go to http://www.altavista.com and do an image search for redwood trees - there's a couple of sites that have nice images (And even movie vs location as it is now) photos.

Well Max 5 and 6 should have an internal ASE export ...

since ASE is ASCII based it can be used for many purposes.

And Yeah I've done some weapon replacements.

Basically you just have to model 2 Versions of the weapon one for first and one for third person view. The First Person Model should be exactly the same as the third person one except one thing: You should remove all unseen faces to increase performance :D

Just load a Weapon from Raven, copy the tags and insert them in your model.

Since a weapon doesn't need bones or such you can export the weapon as MD3 and convert it to GLM via MD3 View.

one? XD

I know of at least 4 ENdor maps in progress

monsoontide's

mine (http://www.jedi-knight2.de/forum/thread.php?id=19316 NOTE: German Page but still some Pics :>)

-]RC[-Nokill's (http://www.jedimoves.com/ Look over at the request Section)

Railback's (http://www.map-center.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=16597)

And I heard about 2 more maps ... but haven't seen anything yet :D

But well ... mine will be the best no doubt :p

Yes... But are they SIEGE maps? ;)

Always good to have a selection to choose from.

I'm still experimenting with various techniques to make it look like the forest goes off into the distance - will probably use one of those portal skies like on the hoth map.

Check out the new quicktime video of Star Wars BattleFront to see how they're doing the trees and stuff - custom game engine though - it's harder to get it to work like that in the quake engine.

I'm still thinking about catapults and log traps, though haven't worked out the best way to do them.

Will be posting some new pix in a new thread for the updated Bast Castle (SIEGE) map in the next day or so. Expect BETA testing positions to open in about a week or so. Will be needing some really hard-core testing for this map to try and play balance it! I'm a little concerned the objectives may be too easy. Or that there aren't enough of them.

I have all the objectives working ('cept the one with the siege_item) and most of the main menu/objectives/map screen up and running now ('cept those stupid little icon things) - just needs a few tweaks. Still have to make some custom teams though.

Archived