Home

Why barely no one will be able to play Half Life 2

Elite Jedi

As u all know Half Life 2, has continually delayed and finnaly looks ready for realease this year. But should every gamer get there hopes up?

http://members.westnet.com.au/jose.guerrero/images/directx9.jpg

Assuming u read the above article it is obvious that there is something wrong with Directx9. Taking the Raedon 9800XT for example. It can produce frame rates on Direct X8 games at 250 and over. But of a recent Directx9 game such as Halo it run max at 50 framesand thats at a res of 1024 x 768 . Hmmm. Maybe thats why the devs have delayed Half life 2 for so long. Eirther they have realised that the game is to consuming and are waiting to release it when the general PC gamers have more powerful PCs or they are trying to re configue the game so that it will not swallow up all the PCs power. There are a very few gamers that will be able to run this game at a satisfactory level. Anyway i jsut hope that microsoft will fix this problem.

Cheers

I call BS. The farcry demo, which is DX9, runs well on my 9800 Pro(although that hardly falls in the "mainstream" level..). Even though the AA doesnt really work yet. As well, Half-life2 would run as low as DX 6, if it had to. So it cant be a compatibility problem.

The NV40 design(which is what the Nvidia FX cards are based on) have horrible DX9 support; which is why it needs to run in mixed mode(DX8.1 and DX9 graphics) to get tolerable frame rates in Half-life2.

Then again, maybe today's generation of cards are slow. They are releasing most of the dx9 games when r420(the next generation of Ati's cards) comes out(dunno if the next line of Nvidia cards come out then).

Originally posted by Browneye023

Didn't someone also hack in and jack the code? I heard some rumors of this. I figure that alone would slow them down the most.

Yeah they did. I even heard that the FBI had been raiding houses because of it. (If you don't belive me, go here )

The reason for the delay isn't technological. The game would have been released at Christmas if it hadn't been hacked.

Originally posted by jokemaster

I agree with Tyrion, I played the Farcry demo, and it ran fiine on high settings with my Raedon 9700 Pro.

Really? I have a 9700 Pro and it just flashed blue all the time and kept on saying 'VPU Recovery'. How did you get it to work?

• 4 weeks later...
The reason for the delay isn't technological. The game would have been released at Christmas if it hadn't been hacked.

Well when the source code was hacked, the game wasn't even complete. There was no way they were going to release Halflife2 at the time they first planned. The hack thing was just an excuse to delay the game which probably came at a good time.

Originally posted by ExcelsioN

Really? I have a 9700 Pro and it just flashed blue all the time and kept on saying 'VPU Recovery'. How did you get it to work?

Check the Far Cry site (http://www.farcry-thegame.com) to see if you have the right driver version...Far Cry doesn't work on some of the newer ones.

That article appears to be full of ****. For instance, Doom 3 doesn't even use DirectX for it's graphics. :rolleyes:

Also, from what I've heard, Halo PC isn't a very good port, and it's speed isues are it's own fault, not DirectX's. Also, I've heard that the Far Cry SP demo isn't particulary optimized, and yet it runs quite playably on my computer (P4 2.53 Mhz, 1Gb RDRAM, Radeon 9800 Pro) with everything set to the top.

Archived