Home

How do I open my Router's Ports?

}X{Executioner

Ok Im trying to make a server, and everything should workm but it wont. Somebody told me that I should open up my router's ports. but how? you guys know how to help me>

The router is a really freaky one called Router Plus. Dunno if that helps, Its a 4 port router, with one WAN port. Plz help me out!

The routers a router plus. I could just tell you what happens when I go to the things settings that I think I need to use.

I think tis the NAT or Firewall settings. I disabled the firewal, so that aint the proble. Its got a DMZ and a Virtual server thing, but I dont know how to use either. Any ideas

Ok I disabled my firewall, but the options in there are

Enable/Disable Firewall Settings

Block WAN IP

Client Filtering

MAC Controls

DMZ

Thats all of them. I think they are self explanitory, but the Block WAN IP allows me to stop people from pinging me, Client FIltering allows me to block certain client PCs accessing the Internet based on time. MAC Controls don't apply to me, and the DMZ is the thing that I think I need to figure out, it lets me choose a port that is ok to use for allowing foreign IP's to connect or something

I use an ActionTec gateway router, and on mine it has the DMZ thing and just says "on" or "off" you can check.

I checked mine ON and plugged in for the IP the IP of my router (find out what it is with winipcfg in win98se).

For ports forwarded, I just put in the port ranges JA uses (29070-29099 TCP & UDP) and then it worked. With each port I "forwarded" I also had to again plug in the router's IP each time then at the end "save and restart" to reboot the router.

You're probably best off just setting your (hardware) firewall to "basic" which is probably all you'll really need. Though I also use Norton Internet Security's firewall, so I just gave full permissions to the dedicated server binary and exe's of JA (in NIS).

Archived