Home

Hapslash's Improved Stormtrooper

Infinity Blade

Originally posted by TK8252MJL

AHHHHH!!!! It's the headless shadow!

Well if the Stormtrooper is finished before you fix the E-11, release the Stormtrooper without his blaster, we all need that Stormtrooper really really badly... (And the Sandtrooper.)

I agree with TK, you should forget about the gun for the time being and focus on pushing the model out. ;)

[Also, when is that Vader model being released? Have you abandoned it or just taking a break from it?]

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[Also, when is that Vader model being released? Have you abandoned it or just taking a break from it?]

I doubt he's abandoned any of his models...

Hap has roughly 20+ models he's working on, so the situation with any given one probably depends more on what he feels like working on at the time...

That probably goes for the stormtrooper rifle, too. ;)

Originally posted by Infinity Blade

I doubt he's abandoned any of his models...

Hap has roughly 20+ models he's working on, so the situation with any given one probably depends more on what he feels like working on at the time...

Well the Stormie seems to be what he is working on the most now, so I hope to look forward to a release soon. Now that my computers all fixed. ^_^

Superb job on the Stormie Hap as always! Will this be released as a stand alone or some sort of Stormie pack?

Also OT, brilliant skinning of Aeryn Sun, I'm dying to see the rest of Moya's crew especially Crichton and D'Argo once Aeryn is done. Are you still waiting to release these in a Farscape pack also?

Great job Hap, glad to see you're still around.

Hmmm, lots of questions, looks like I'll have to write this answer in parts.

THE STORMTROOPER

To be honest the Improved Stormtrooper is virtually done. The textures are all finished to my satisfaction, and the model works great in game. There are 2 versions, one for Jedi Outcast and another for Jedi Academy.

It doesn't have any new sounds or shader effects though,...

As he is the primary enemy for Outcast, having a bunch of shiny troopers on screen may bog down the game a bit. And due to him being white already the glossy shader might not show up very well anyway.

New sounds would be nice, but as he's just a replacement model anyway, they're not necessary. I don't have the equipment to record any decent sounds myself, and lifting different clips and mashing them together wouldn't work very well. If someone wanted to make sounds for it that would be okay, but I have very high standards about what I'd want.

Other than that he's done. I could release him now, but I just thought that the blaster completed the model. I was even thinking about including a new pistol with the Improved Imperial Officer as well.

http://wat.midco.net/eggnog1/dh-17_01.jpg

DARTH VADER & OTHER MODELS

None of the models have been totally abandoned, but there are a number of them that I've put into storage for a while. The Darth Vader model, in addition to being a MP model, was originally intended for use in the cut scenes for the Dark Forces Mod. But, since they decided to drop the in-game cut scene format, the project has been put on hold. And since there are already a few Vader models out there, I didn't think there was a great need for another one right now anyway.

In the meantime, projects for the DF Mod have priority over any new projects.

I'm not sure what's going on with the Farscape stuff. It didn't go over very well here, but it did catch the eye of a french mod team determined to make a Farscape mod for Half-Life 2,...

ASSIGNING WORK

As for handing out work to other editors,... I can be pretty picky about what I want. I've seen several well made models ruined by bad mesh weighting (ex. Darth Maul). Not only would I need to find someone that I trust, but someone who likes me enough for me to drop all this work onto them,... Because it's not just weighting one model, it's weighting four, all with hand & facial animations. Then optimizing the mesh for the JK animations and repairing any UV-W anomalies that pop up. Writing the skin file, testing it in-game, and solving any problems that arise and going back to fix them. Then in the end, as some one put it

to me, "do a thankless job for little to no credit",...

I have gone to others in the past, but usually after five or six days they stop working on it, and I get nothing but the "I'll finish it up this weekend" answer for 3-5 weeks straight before never hearing from them again.

well I know HAPSLASH will do any model justice anyway!!!

Anyway I can help I would-- I can add sounds for your stormtrooper if you like all you have to do is tell me what you'd like--but you know that I'm always here to help you already.

RJW_ca "OUT"

Originally posted by HapSlash

he's done. I could release him now

Go ahead, we're all ready. :D

No need for new sounds, the game's Stormtrooper sounds are fine. Although the Jedi Academy Stormtrooper does have a shine shader on it. Maybe consider using that one...?

Originally posted by HapSlash

I was even thinking about including a new pistol with the Improved Imperial Officer as well.

http://wat.midco.net/eggnog1/dh-17_01.jpg

Finally! We got the DH-17! I'm very glad you decided to make the DH-17, Hap. This blaster was used by many people in Star Wars. Rebel Troopers, Imperial Officers, Imperial Navy Troopers...

Apparently I spoke too soon. I've just been informed that while the model works in SP fine it won't work in MP at all. With everything else it works, but we keep getting a "bad bone or missing animation file" error when ever we try to choose him in MP. I'm not sure why that would be, but we think that it might be an error in the original .max file causing it.

It sounds like we're going to have to go back and reweight the entire thing.

you could use the JA stormtrooper shader from the JA version

I don't have JA, but if anyone wants to send me the appropriate files I'll see what I can do.

Which reminds me,... since Infinity Blade and I don't have JA ,... I'm probably going to need a few beta testers for the JA version of the model.

That sucks. :(

Anyway, if you need the shader file, this is what it looks like:

• models/players/stormtrooper/armor
    {
    cull twosided
    {
    map models/players/stormtrooper/armor
    blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO
    rgbGen lightingDiffuse
    }
    {
    map models/players/stormtrooper/armor_spec
    blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE
    detail
    alphaGen lightingSpecular
    }
    }

models/players/stormtrooper/helmet
    {
    {
    map models/players/stormtrooper/helmet
    rgbGen lightingDiffuse
    }
    {
    map models/players/stormtrooper/helmet_spec
    detail
    }
    }

models/players/stormtrooper/torso_legs
    {
    {
    map models/players/stormtrooper/torso_legs
    rgbGen lightingDiffuse
    }
    {
    map models/players/stormtrooper/torso_legs_spec
    detail
    }
    }

models/players/stormtrooper/armor_blue
    {
    {
    map models/players/stormtrooper/armor_blue
    rgbGen lightingDiffuse
    }
    {
    detail
    }
    }

models/players/stormtrooper/armor_red
    {
    {
    map models/players/stormtrooper/armor_red
    rgbGen lightingDiffuse
    }
    {
    detail
    }
    }

models/players/stormtrooper/helmet_blue
    {
    {
    map models/players/stormtrooper/helmet_blue
    rgbGen lightingDiffuse
    }
    {
    detail
    }
    }

models/players/stormtrooper/helmet_red
    {
    {
    map models/players/stormtrooper/helmet_red
    rgbGen lightingDiffuse
    }
    {
    detail
    }
    }

models/players/stormtrooper/torso_legs_blue
    {
    {
    map models/players/stormtrooper/torso_legs_blue
    rgbGen lightingDiffuse
    }
    {
    detail
    }
    }

models/players/stormtrooper/torso_legs_red
    {
    {
    map models/players/stormtrooper/torso_legs_red
    rgbGen lightingDiffuse
    }
    {
    detail
    }
    }

well about that bad bone error...

Didn't JA use different bones than JK2 did for MP ?

Well I'm not really into Playermodelling (yet) so I won't specultate any more.

What about the Problem with the Blaster only showing up while firing?

I'll bring my EE-3 Blaster (Boba Fett's Weapon) ingame soon and if I come up the same problems I'll tell you ... otherwise I can tell you how to avoid it if I don't get the error ^^

Greets

Pahricida

It seems to be the fad so...

If you are doing beta testing, I'd be glad to help. I'll take screenshots at different resolutions and different graphics.. I have both JO and JA, and it would be an awesome model to beta test a model made by you.

Thanks, Michaelmexp<AT>Msn.com [Replace <AT> with @] [Didn't want to get spammed or anything..]

Archived