Home

Hapslash's Improved Stormtrooper

Infinity Blade

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wee, blackhole stormtroopers.

blackhole_stormtrooper.txt

anyone know why i get the error "jpeg read error: requested feature was ommited at compile time" when i try to put my own .jpg's on the model? i've had to use .tga's in the meantime.

Originally posted by TK-8252

Absolutely not. These new Field Troopers and Sandtrooper fix would be only a small part of this huge mod I'm making for Jedi Academy, over 40 MB in size and growing. The mod I've made includes dozens of my own skins, tons of new and fixed NPCs, sound fixes in multiplayer and single player, new blaster effects, and some other things as well.

It's much easier for the downloader to get everything needed in one download, rather than having to download all the models seperatly. It would be pretty hard to gather all the Field Trooper parts too without the entire model to work with. [/b]

Well, if it's a huge mod, then I can understand that. You really should specify what the mod is along with the request to use someone else's work.

And as far as easier to download, that depends on what the mod is, and if alot of people have the models already. If it was just a few text files and a couple of textures, then I'd say seperate it. If it is a larger mod, then grouping together is fine. As I said, you should've been more specific.

And as far as all the "Field Trooper" parts.. you wouldn't need more than one model if you wait for the JA version. All the sandtrooper and stormtrooper surfaces will be included there.

Originally posted by t3rr0r

blackhole_stormtrooper.txt

Goodness!

Originally posted by Infinity Blade

Well, if it's a huge mod, then I can understand that. You really should specify what the mod is along with the request to use someone else's work.

And as far as easier to download, that depends on what the mod is, and if alot of people have the models already. If it was just a few text files and a couple of textures, then I'd say seperate it. If it is a larger mod, then grouping together is fine. As I said, you should've been more specific.

Yeah, I guess I should have explained the entire mod. I don't want you to think that all I'm doing is changing the Stormtrooper/Sandtrooper, that would be a pretty lousy. BTW, I also gave the black and white pauldron skins for the Sandtrooper their own icons, so they can show up in the profile screen.

And as far as all the "Field Trooper" parts.. you wouldn't need more than one model if you wait for the JA version. All the sandtrooper and stormtrooper surfaces will be included there.

Well, I've set up the Field Trooper so that it is just another skin in the Sandtrooper model folder, and the skin file uses the Stormtrooper's clean textures. It was much easier for me to get everything set up correctly for the Field Trooper since I had everything together, not seperated into different pk3s.

Also, with the JA model, you'll be able to include the two packs that are apart of hips_augment . It wasn't included with the sandtrooper since that part is obscured by the backpack and pouches.

That, and the JA model includes a specular shader.

We originally had the 2 JO models as one, but we kept getting errors when we tried to get the sandtrooper surfaces on in SP. Instead of waiting another week or two to try and find a possible fix, we just seperated them and they work fine. JA on the other hand has no problems, so we just left it as one.

wee, blackhole stormtroopers.

anyone know why i get the error "jpeg read error: requested feature was ommited at compile time" when i try to put my own .jpg's on the model? i've had to use .tga's in the meantime.

Uhmmm... are you getting that with JA or modview?

I'm not sure what would cause that problem. I've used several different textures with different names... both .tga and .jpg . I haven't come across that one, so I'm not exactly sure what causes that error. Of course, I don't have JA either.

All the files were originally saved as Jpg's for the release, so they should work that way. You could try loading up Hap's originals, and paste your textures in, then save over them. If that loads without problem, it could've been just a slight mistake in the naming of a texture or skin file, etc.

To be honest, I can't really think of too much it could be right now. Someone else might know more about it....

EDIT: I do know that there were a few programs that output the .jpg file as .jpeg, and modview wouldn't read the .jpeg extension. I suppose that's another possibility.

Uhmmm... are you getting that with JA or modview?

ja AND both versions of modview give me this error. when ja comes up with this it just quits to desktop with the mini console saying the error.

All the files were originally saved as Jpg's for the release, so they should work that way. You could try loading up Hap's originals, and paste your textures in, then save over them. If that loads without problem, it could've been just a slight mistake in the naming of a texture or skin file, etc.

modview won't even let me use edited versions of the original textures (no renaming). :(

EDIT: I do know that there were a few programs that output the .jpg file as .jpeg, and modview wouldn't read the .jpeg extension. I suppose that's another possibility.

all my .jpg's are .jpg.

i just don't know what the problem is. :(

Is it only with this model that you have the problem?

Neither Hap nor I have had any problems, and with TK's images I'm guessing it worked fine for him too.

Did you maybe switch image editors lately? One possibility is maybe try a different one, or load up a converter and resave it.

If you want, you can email me the helmet texture in .jpg and I can look at a couple things.

Originally posted by [FotF]Maddog

If using photoshop 7.0 do not use the save for the web option for saving. Save them as jpeg and use baseline ("Standard") option.

that did it! i noticed mine was set on progressive scan. thanks maddog (and IB for trying to figure out the problem :)). :D

what do you guys think of the shader thus far?

blackhole_shader_wip1.txt

maybe hap will allow a public release once the JA version is out. :cool:

edit: oops, just realised something with the shader is wrong... it's shiney even in dark shadow.

:dev7:

One of the reasons why the JA trooper wasn't already completed is that I've been finishing the images for a specular shader that Infinity Blade set up for me.

Here's a picture of the shader at work on the model with only flat black textures. I took this in JO, so I'm not exactly sure if it will look the same in JA.

shader-shot_01.jpg

And here is a shot with the shader on the base stormtrooper textures.

shader-shot_02.jpg

I was thinking about doing an updated JO version with the shader and a few of the texture fixes that I've applied to the Academy version, but I'm beginning to think that there isn't much point to it anymore. Out of the 180 people who've downloaded it, I imagine that most of them are trying to use it with JA anyway.

Yeah,.. it's just as detailed as the base textures. It pulls off the semi-gloss sheen pretty well, but I don't think it would work very well for a high-gloss shine.

Oh yeah,... I was looking at the first pic you posted of the black trooper and it looks like a mod-view shot and he's holding a blaster. I didn't think that was possible.

Arggghhh,.... I caught another mistake.

There's been something bothering me about the E-11's in the shots that have been posted. After I took a look through the pk3 I see what it is,...

Here is the one that was released,... and then the correct one,...

blaster-wrong.jpgblaster-right.jpg

It released blaster appears to be the first test version that was compiled before I refined the uv-map and textures.

It's just one more thing that needs to be fixed I guess,...

Originally posted by HapSlash

There's been something bothering me about the E-11's in the shots that have been posted. After I took a look through the pk3 I see what it is,...

i noticed the lighter texture too, but i just figured that's how it turned out.

and yes, you can bolts items/weapons/whatever to tags in modview.

hap, you should try adding glow to the final JA spec shader. it makes it just a little bit nicer.

ex.

models/players/stormtrooper/arms

{

cull twosided

{

map models/players/stormtrooper/arms

blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ZERO

rgbGen lightingDiffuse

}

{

map models/players/stormtrooper/arms_spec

blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE

detail

glow

alphaGen lightingSpecular

}

}

you can bolts items/weapons/whatever to tags in modview.

How do you do that?

hap, you should try adding glow to the final JA spec shader. it makes it just a little bit nicer.

What kind of effect does it add?

Originally posted by HapSlash

How do you do that?

on the side menu, go to tag surfaces or whatever it's named (i'm not at home so i can't check), then right click on the tag and select add and then seek out the .glm you want to bolt on.

What kind of effect does it add?

it gives the highlight a little bit of ambient glow (definately not as if it's it's own light source like lights using glow in JA). you can see a distant glow around the lamps in my second image (the one with 4 squares). it just makes it a bit more shiney looking, to me anyway.

we really gotta get you JA, hap. ;)

edit: here's a couple of examples.

the first column is showing the slight glow of the spec lighting. the second, the full blow glow of a lamp.

dynamicglow_ex.txt

the first row is with dynamic glow turned off.

the second is with dynamic glow on (set to 1).

the third is dynamic glow set to 2 (shows glow only).

Did anyone have to make any modifications to the E-11 to get it to work with outcast, such as renaming anything, or did it work as it is?

I'm pretty much ready to pack this thing up, and wanted to know if there's anything I should add or change.

jeah perhaps you should include a different Version of the Sandtrooper.

Sandtrooper Model with Stormtrooper Textures ... like the Storm Commandos from Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight.

Don't know, wether you already did this, but it would be cool .. no doubt.

Archived