Home

$250,000 Reward for Information of MyDoom Perpetrators

Sivy

Microsoft Offers $250,000 Reward for Information Leading to Conviction of MyDoom.B Perpetrators

Reward Is Third From Microsoft Reward Fund to Support Worldwide Law Enforcement Efforts Against Malicious Code Distributors

REDMOND, Wash. -- Jan. 29, 2004 -- Microsoft Corp. today announced that it will pay a $250,000 (U.S.) reward for information resulting in the arrest and conviction of those responsible for unleashing the MyDoom.B worm. MyDoom.B, detected yesterday, is a variant of the earlier released MyDoom.A worm, also known as the Novarg worm, which has spread quickly infecting computers around the world. The release of this B variant triggered the first alert from the newly formed Department of Homeland Security’s cyber alert system yesterday.

Characteristics of MyDoom.B

Characteristics of the B variant of MyDoom include these:

Infects the computers of unsuspecting consumers and automatically sends infecting e-mail to their e-mail contacts

Blocks access to anti-virus vendor Web sites and http://www.microsoft.com

Leaves a “backdoor” into infected computers, allowing any hacker to modify the existing worm without the user’s knowledge

Is designed to launch an attack against http://www.microsoft.com next month

“This worm is a criminal attack,” said Brad Smith, senior vice president and general counsel at Microsoft. “Its intent is to disrupt computer users, but also to keep them from getting to anti-virus locations and other sites that could help them. Microsoft wants to help the authorities catch this criminal.”

so if anyone knows who made the mydoom virus, please let me know :D

heh in that business you might doubt to betray your friend for that sum of a money, and in the end go for it :)

Distributing these things is so pathetic, you can get easily in jail for this for a damn long time... At first I couldnt believe ppl were really doing this and I blamed the antivirus developers ^^ yes i'm much wiser now but i still believe they once or still are, developing viruses

As you can see, there's nothing actually malicious except an attack on Mirco$oft and leaving a backdoor open.... which the creator decides what to do with (anyone who's hacked knows that you're usually there out of curiosity or bumping stuff like games etc. Only the odd nutcase destroys computers. With the amount of people infected with the virus, it would take years to get through them all, it's bad luck if you get a personal attack...). Micro$oft are in panic mode, if it wasn't going to attack m$ do you really think they'd bother as much? Nope.

I hope it fooks M$ up actually....

This is so pathetic. How sad, lonely, and geeky do you have to be to do something like this?

Not very, I created my first virus at the age of 12.... basic - yes, worked - yes.

Anyways, the people who did this are probably like the HL2 code hackers. They come into the I-need-to-get-a-life group.

They actually pissed people off badly, only semi-idiots usually get caught with no virus protection. Stealing a super-hyped-up game is different from knocking out M$'s server and hacking a few people.

It would also be quite satisfying to see your creation in the news...

People' with no AV protection's computers going slower is a small price to pay.

The question is, why do they do it?

For fun, to see how long it takes for the virus to get shot down by the AVs and to have a peak around people's pr0n stashes....

Annoying M$ is also a reason.

Quote:Originally posted by Tie 23

Hey, how about every one here pitch in like, $3 and make a reward for the capture of the guys who stole the HL2 Source code

---------------------------

Thats not as important.

WHAAAAAAAAAT!!!???! It's 10x more important than a daft wee virus.... It's the damned sequel to half life. Who cares about M$!?

/me Slaps you

These people been whatching too much

The evil Microsoft Empire vs the guys sitting at their mother's house in the basement wearing stormtrooper gear typing at the computer surrounded by chiken bones and pizza boxes. Who will win?............. me!

I'm beginning the hunt..... nobody messes with my computer!

why do they do it?
or sumpin like that...

well, i think that people hack just for the heck of it, and because they can do it. They do it because they can, to show off that what they lack in (hackers) like physical they can make up for in computer geeky stuff...

oh yeah... i might want to become a part-time hacker for the government, though... maybe...

It just gets more than annoying. You know, people start asking "why am I gettin replies to e-mails I never sent?" or in the case of my Boss, even with McAfee (I have Norton thankfully) 35-40% of his e-mails are junk from other people who have been hit by the virus.

If you can't afford commercial anti-virus, at least download AVG Free (http://www.grisoft.com) - it's free, it's basic but it does the job.

As for those that have not much better to do than access others' computers "for fun", I think they should be forced to spend a day in Bill Gate's office for a day as torture and then released back into the public fully rehabilitated ... and hopefully only deciding to target MS, if they haven't fully been cured.

• 9 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived