Home

Raven sure knows CTF!

JDKnite188

The past three weeks have been extremely busy for me, but last weekend I decided to play some JA CTF. I got instantly addicted. The maps and pace are just too much fun! And then there is that 742 Evergreen Terrace Server . . . 32 player capacity! It's all good :) .

The only problem I have with it is that they didn't include the JO maps. JO's Yavin, Bespin, and Nar Shaddaa CTF maps were and still are awesome. Even Garrison wasn't that bad . . .

Thoughts? Any other CTF fans here?

Ah I love CTF! Its all I play! You can actually download the old maps from PC Gamemods They should be under the JA CTF section. The problem that I'm facing currently is midterms and some insanely high ping like 300-600 on this T1 line. I have to play early in the morning or late at night. Hmmm..... So much for sleep :D

My personal fave CTF in JO was with Disruption.....very fast, veeerrrry dangerous! I must try to find a good server for that in JA...

What do you guys think the best CTF maps for JA are? I think Nar Shaddaa was a classic for JO, though I quite enjoyed Garrison too for some reason.

EDIT: I knew I recognised that name from somewhere. JDKnite188, you had some cool showcased work for JO SP back in the day - whatever happened with those? Any chance of some JA SP mapping goodness from you?

Jedi Academy with wall climbing, dual sabers, saber staff + xMod2 for JK2-style flip kicks and rolling, JA SP pull-stab, and lots of other gameplay enhancements + the JK2 CTF Map Pack for ctf_ns_streets Nar Shaddaa Streets, ctf_bespin Bespin Air Shafts, etc. = heaven.

I ran my server like that for awhile, but most people were too lazy to download the map pack despite my begging and pleading, so I gave up.

That server set up sounds very cool :)

It never seemed enough custom maps were used on servers for JO or JA, despite the massive selection of great ones avaliable. I guess peoples reluctance to download is a part of the problem, and then servers won't want to run them. What people need are reviews of maps...

I love CTF!

Sure it gets ruined when people don't know how to play (I teach them) or they whine incessantly (I kick them, though it's usually only when I join public games, ; p), but it's a great fun gametype.

You pretty much can't go wrong with CTF, it's been fun in every FPS I've played it in, and it's fun in real life too. ; )

Originally posted by Kurgan

You pretty much can't go wrong with CTF, it's been fun in every FPS I've played it in, and it's fun in real life too. ; )

You mean that thing where you run around in fields trying to snatch the other teams flag without being captured? Weird :)

I agree, CTF is pretty much a sure hit, as long as there are some good maps for it. TFC is still my favourite game for CTF mayhem.

Referring to original topic; Raven has only made one CTF map for JA and that was in the bonus map pack. All the base multiplayer maps except for Siege were made by Threewave Software.

Anywho, I would have bothered playing JA CTF beyond the first week after release if it had felt like an improvement on JO rather than a huge step backwards. The maps are pretty but it just lacks the Quake 3 feel that I loved.

And oh yeah... people played my CTF maps :p

Well, JA does have some drawbacks vs. JO, but the addition of wallclimbing adds a lot to CTF, and strafe jumping with Speed on feels smoother (to me, anyway).

Detritic, you did make some great maps, not the least of which was Can Yun-O Ace Is? :D

Originally posted by DeTRiTiC-iQ

Anywho, I would have bothered playing JA CTF beyond the first week after release if it had felt like an improvement on JO rather than a huge step backwards. The maps are pretty but it just lacks the Quake 3 feel that I loved.

100% agreed

Originally posted by Kengo

EDIT: I knew I recognised that name from somewhere. JDKnite188, you had some cool showcased work for JO SP back in the day - whatever happened with those? Any chance of some JA SP mapping goodness from you?

Yes, Kengo, the map you are referring to is a Single Player map that was going to be something completely non-linear. It has been a problem finding time to finish it, though. Fortunately, it has been converted into JA is a WIP. I hope to at least make it into the stature of what you and some other SP makers have achieved.

I have been dreaming about the scope of my map. At first it was just one mission. Then I thought about making it into a whole Star Wars drama. Eh well, we will see what happens :(

Originally posted by JDKnite188

I have been dreaming about the scope of my map. At first it was just one mission. Then I thought about making it into a whole Star Wars drama. Eh well, we will see what happens :(

Glad to hear its still alive. :) I think its easy to make things more and more epic and then they quickly become something you'll never realistically be able to finish. If it gets too much of an undertaking in one go, I recommend cutting it up into pieces and releasing smaller levels that build on each other. Too many projects die because they were just too massive for anyone to do.

Archived