Home

Georgia wants to remove "evolution" from the curricula

SkinWalker

Originally posted by THE BADGER:

Name me some evidence that proves evolution exist? You can't, thats why it's a theory. And a theory can be proved. Thats why there is laws. Laws were once theory's.

Not quite. The difference between a law and a theory lies not in the level of documentation, but rather in scale.

By way of example:

Newton's Law of Gravity states that two particles of masses M and m affect each other with an attractive force parrallel to the line connecting them and with a magnitude of GMm/R^2

Whereas Newton's Theory of Gravity says (roughly) that Newton's Law of Gravity applies to all massive bodies.

It is not, however, the case - as you seem to think - that Newton's Law and Newton's Theory of Gravity say the same thing or even that the level of evidence for either is greater than for the other.

And adding creationism to a schools curriculum is not forcing religion on anyone. It is simple showing both sides of the spectrum.

No. Creationism is not science. Evolution is science. Therefore Evolution should be taught in science class, not creationism.

At least you didn't just say "Bump!"

--- SkinWalker

Awww, Skin, that is work in progress, that is... BTW, I didn't bump it.

You take a quick stroll to pick up a pizza, and look what happens... Grumble, grumble...

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evolution is a fact (and a theory).

In the case of evolution, the following phenomena are involved:

# That life appeared on earth more than two billion years ago;

# That life forms have changed and diversified over life's history;

# That species are related via common descent from one or a few common ancestors;

# That natural selection is a significant factor affecting how species change.

They are all facts.

Evolution can effectively be simplified into these three statements:

# Organisms vary

# All organisms overproduce

# Some variability is inherited

All three have been proven, all three are facts. Evolution is fact.

'Natural selection', however, is a theory, amongst many many others in evolutionary biology.

The real scientific debate is about how evolution occurs, not whether it does.

Creationism doesn't offer any irrefutable predictions, and any it does offer have already been disproven. So Creationism isn't even a theory. It's an opinion, at best.

• 2 months later...

To me, this alone proves evolution and disproves creationism:

According to the Bible, God created two people. That's up to two different races.

Now count the number of different "races" out there: Native American, Aboriginal, Sami, European, African, Asian, Latin-American/Chicano, and so on. Seven from the top of my head.

Now explain to me how there can be seven from two without there having been some sort of change taking place? If the Bible and creationism stated that God created two people for each group (two whites, two Africans, etc.), it'd be a bit more plausible, but it doesn't, so it isn't.

If Evolution was not a fact, there'd still be only one or two "races" in the World. But there are 7+, so something must've happened.

Archived