Home

Basic Request: New Weapon Classes

Pahricida

Hey there!

This is more a request then an idea :D

I've been modeling for about half a year now and I've done about 6 new Weapons.

Those Weapons would profit from new Weapon Classes.

Boba Fett's Blaster for Example.

bobagun.gif

Since I find it rather unpleasant, that Boba uses the Standard E-11 Stormie Rifle I made his weapon but since there is no

WP_BLASTER_BOBA

Class or something like that I would have to replace the E-11 with the EE-3 and since I don't want that I ask you to add a class like that. I really don't need anything special like new animations ... just that new Class for Boba.

Another Thing is the Vibro Axe used by Jabba's Guards:

Vibroaxe.jpg

shot0002.jpg

As you can see the weapon is finished it just doesn't fit any class except the Tusken's garadirfi...

The Axe is feasable even with the base code. You'd have to set up a variety of small blades to cover the entire blade area of the axe. Not tough but time consuming. You can adjust the length & width via the .sab files, then once the blades are adjusted correctly you can disable the glow.

As for the new weapon class, unless someone codes the multi-firearm code or something, you'll have to have it replace an existing weapon. I personally wouldn't do it Siege exclusively but that's me.

It's all a matter of code fiseability, Alchemix.

Right now, the code itself doesn't allow it since the game has a weapon ammount limit, you can't have more than a certain number.

To even reach that point, that limit must first be fixed like the vehicle limit was fixed.

Originally posted by Admiral Chemix

for a community interested in making mods for the community u realy seem to turn down ideas alot. So far to my knowledge the only ideas u've used are your own. No offense, I'm just saying, be more open minded

I'm often "shooting down" ideas because I happen to be the primary of the four or five actual modders that have submitted work. 99% of the ideas are thrown out here with no intent of people actually doing them and large percentage of them are unpractical.

If you find someone to do the work, great! Get it done and submit it. Otherwise, please don't complain when the people that actually do the work shoot down some of your ideas.

First of all I'm not just complaining about my ideas being shot down first post, but many other ideas by other users are just ignored, rejected left to rot no matter how good they are, no matter how doable they are. Sure I may not know half as much about coding as u, heck I don't know anything about programming other than basic JKA scripting, however I do know what the point of modding is, it is to better the community, to make others happy through giving them something they will enjoy. I'm not trying to sound harsh or selfish or self centered or naive and if it comes off that way I'm sorry, I am merely attempting to help, in one way or another. If you don't wish for me to attempt to help, the fine, so be it, I'll still DL the mod and post what I think of it in the comments. So far I realy like the mod, I hope it continues on it's current course however I also hope that u become more open minded, if u don't think an idea is possible, then tell them why, don't just ignore it or tell people it's not gonna happen with no explanation, thnx for reading this post, have a nice day

First off, I've done a multitude of things for the community based on what people have discussed here.

Secondly, when have I ever ignored anyone's ideas? I thought that I'd replied to all of them and always explain (to at least some degree) why I like or don't like the idea.

Thirdly, I imagine I often sound negative because most people tend to throw out ideas without any actual plan of doing them. That puts a lot of pressure on me and the other modders not be too positive about those types of ideas because then people get an unrealistic expectation of us actually implimenting them.

While I sympathize with Chemix, I just think he fails to realize the caliber of the request, especially when there is no real gameplan to develop it. It may seem like RA is shooting down the idea & in some ways I'm sure he is but you also have to realize there are other things on the table, not just this one idea & he has to choose what he thinks is best to code - that is part of his job, it just comes with the territory.

As for "pick up some c tutorials" - ya right man, I've been there & done that. Coding isn't like modeling, mapping, or (while it's very similar) like scripting either. Coding is something that takes years to make happen, you make it sound like it's something you can learn how to do in a month or 2 - it's not.

Coding is the 1 thing I'd really like to know how to do but with all the stuff I have to do modding-wise alone, I wouldn't have the time.

Coding is something that takes years to make happen

I think it more depends on how well you pick up on things like this. I took one college class on object oriented programming that I slept through, just so I could move on to COBOL. (years ago)

And then I started sifting around the SDK reading some web tuitorials (of all things!) as I went. It may take awhile to read it like a book. But he'd do well enough as it is.

edit:

You just have to stick with it until you get it. I may not know what all the functions do in the SDk but I know alot about what I was working on.

Just be warned Chemix As a newbie you'd be reading over those source files 500 times before you get a clue on what needs to be done.

I haven't seen u give many, explanations, just it's impracticle, it's impossible. I realize game limitations, how far the q3 game engine can go and I know some of this stuff would take months. Yes, modding big thinks eats a big chunk of time. I realise the size of the request. I remember along time ago there was a tutorial on C++ called "C++ For the Complete NEWBIE" however it has long since went down, dang! I took a look at the files inside the sdk 3 weeks ago, and I suppose ur right, I could read it 500 times and not know where to look for the right stuff to make it work, yes. Most of the people posting ideas here have no plan for modding this stuff, yes, thats because it takes years to learn how to decently code C++. Yes a single aspect might take months, but when it's done it will be incredible

I have a novice grasp on what you can do gameplan-wise with ideas I post (that needs coding) & I normally post them. Most of them are pretty self explanitory though.

Anyways, the point is we have tons of stuff on the table here. There's so much stuff that still needs work, yet alone the stuff that we haven't even got to yet. You're talking about a concept that would take a pretty long time to produce. Granted, it would be hella cool but I guess you just have to decide for yourself what's better. A bunch of features that don't take up as much time, or 1 feature that takes up tons. The 1 feature might be sweet & all but so is all the little ones too.

It's really six in 1 hand & half dozen in the other & since RA, Phunk, & the other coders are the ones that have to actually do the work, it's rightfully their place to say what does or doesn't get coded next.

This was one of my problems with Lee when we were partners but unlike Lee, RA & them are saying that if you can find someone to code this stuff & add it, they'd be willing to use it. That's not the case with my old partnership, so take it from me, be grateful for what you have & try not to get too upset about the things you don't. It could be worse.

Archived