Home

Some questions about OS's

BongoBob

Lately, my mom and grandma have been having problems with windows, and my mom started wondering something that got me curious...Linux

I had heard about it, and that sort of stuff, but was never really interested, but now that for no apperant reason our comps our getting errors to the MAX, I am interested. I have a few questions...

1) Is it more reliable than windows?

2) Is it as easy to use as windows?

3) Can I still do everything I do on windows on Linux?

Thanks to anyone that answers these questions :cheers:

:)

Originally posted by BongoBob

1) Usually

2) Not even close

3) If you know the commands and customizability, then pretty much.

I only know a little about Linux. Our labs for Data Structures are in the computer labs that run linux

if you (and the ppl who will be using it) arent IT savvy, then I would reccommend you dont go near it. windows is what it is because for all intents and purposes, it is/aims to be 'very' user friendly....in particular for low end users and ppl without IT expertise....

It all dpends on what you need to do, of course.....

MTFBWYA

Originally posted by BongoBob

Lately, my mom and grandma have been having problems with windows, and my mom started wondering something that got me curious...Linux

I had heard about it, and that sort of stuff, but was never really interested, but now that for no apperant reason our comps our getting errors to the MAX, I am interested. I have a few questions...

Thanks to anyone that answers these questions :cheers:

As a Linux user myself, you need to select a version, now this comes down to the genre, of Redhat, and Mandrake, because these two, are the most popular.

Both are becomming easier to use with each patch that comes out, they both have outstanding GUI's like windows, but then again, as warrior said, you're going to have to read up on it, because it may look the same as windows, so did mac, but each operating system has their differences.

You could be a little dink and get Microsoft Linux, which doesn't even have a source code for you to build upon, like Linus made, and be a sell out by buying it.

Or, you could be cool, download one of those versions for absolutly nothing at all, install, and expand upon.

anyways..

1.)It's more reliable, hell yes.

2.) For me, hell yes.

3.)You can do everything and more, Honestly, it's a gateway, an operating system with an open source code, it's every little programmers dream :)

Which version of Linux do you have? I've already went on to creating my own version lol, It's something new from continuing on with my impossible video game.

Windows sucks dude, that's PERIOD.

I hate microsoft with a growing passion because they're nothing, no selfrespecting programmer, no self respecting hacker uses Windows, you're better off with Linux, or UNIX(The god of all O/s!)

And Atari is pretty easy to use, it's similar to the dos prompt, so if you are getting a new O/S and find Linux too hard, think about Atari, I recommend it (Y)

Like they said darklord, windows is designed for every dummy and average user and is very user friendly..it's mostly there where the errors come from. I recommend you read articles/books etc about linux, so you get a basic feeling of which commands to use etc..you wont be so far with 'do you like it?' Q's since taste is always unique, and those who use it are able to use it

We found a book called Linux for dummies, and comes witht eh latest copy of Red Hat. Plus apps for red hat. I think that we may get that and experiment with it on MY comp, and then if I can get it to work well, then I may put it on my moms comp.

Thanks to all of you guys.

Ooooh, I hate to sound like a stupid here, but what's the difference between linux and unix? I thought they were essentially the same thing.

Well, Linux was made off of the UNIX design, that's basicly the only area where they're similar, the code is totally different, Or, that is what I'm aware of, I only have a Linux box, I can't find UNIX anywhere :(

We found a book called Linux for dummies, and comes witht eh latest copy of Red Hat. Plus apps for red hat. I think that we may get that and experiment with it on MY comp, and then if I can get it to work well, then I may put it on my moms comp.

If you have like a 100 to 200 dollars laying around, you could buy a crap computer and install Linux onto that, and use it as a Linux box like I do, it'll save you the time from not liking it to reformatting and reinstalling windows :p

Get Apple.

I have four different Macintosh computers ^_^

I have absolutely no problems switching to Linux, but the only thing that keeps me from going is the fact that there are hardly any games on it. Same with a Mac.

And of course, if too many people go to Linux, then there will be alot more viri written for it. :/

have absolutely no problems switching to Linux, but the only thing that keeps me from going is the fact that there are hardly any games on it. Same with a Mac.

Most video games that come out for windows, usually comes out with a linux patch and source, so there really isn't a big problem there.

My friend has Windows XP, and a whole bunch of games, then he got like, all his favourite games, and the linux patches for them.

it's so cool too, because the patches include the source code of what was changed, then you end up getting the whole source code for the game, and then well...there is no limit to an imagination :p.

Macintosh has amazing games, but most of them are like, based on graphics,so like, JK2, and JA, are amazing for the mac.

Quake 3 is amazing for the mac, and I think thats all I've played on a mac.

And Right now I'm currently ranting on >_>

And of course, if too many people go to Linux, then there will be alot more viri written for it

Many people who go to linux are only intrested in the source code for creating their own O/S, that's why there aren't many viruses for it, because everyones trying to get their hands on a popularity method.

The reason why most viruses were created for MS, was because of the lack to freedom or some crap, I don't know I read it up one night when I WASN'T reading about PHONE FREAks.

Well, a friend of mine and I are going to "semi-convert" to Linux. We're going to dual-boot both Linux AND Windows...

Oh, well, if you want Linux because of its peace, yet want to play hardcore Windows games, get Knoppix, a variant of Linux, as it runs from a CD. I would recommend Mandrake, as there are many free programs that come with it. If you have a subscription to PC World, there was an article in there about how a guy switched to Linux from Windows for a month.

Well, Linux is like a "non-newbie" OS, as its programs don't install themself as well and easily as Windows ones do. You have to know more command lines, know every single directory of the drives (maybe), and so on. Linux is nice, though, because of its open-source status.

DO NOT get Linux for games. It has horrible graphics, and lacks a 3D look on games. There is, though, something like a Windows emulator sandbox (something something Wine???), but it isn't as good as Windows.

btw, I have 3 Macs, and one of them costed my dad like $3000, seriously.

Archived