Home

I think there should be less people on Atkins after this

BongoBob

My mom just read this on CNN at the bottom of the screen on the ticker

(in own words)

Diet Guru Dr.Atkins was not only obese at his time of death, but was also a heart patient and had 2 heart attacks.

What does this tell you about Atkins Diet :D

PS:If anyone can find this story on the CNN website, feel free, I'm just too lazy.

:)

Originally posted by DarkLord60

Got something against it?

I have something against all these crap "diets" that never actually work, and then I have to stand behind some stupid person at the grocery store whining about how the diet doesn't seem to be working, I'm like "stop eating the pizza you dumbass, it's not a dietary food." And then they try and askt he cashier why the diet isn't working.

Originally posted by InsaneSith

I have something against all these crap "diets" that never actually work, and then I have to stand behind some stupid person at the grocery store whining about how the diet doesn't seem to be working, I'm like "stop eating the pizza you dumbass, it's not a dietary food." And then they try and askt he cashier why the diet isn't working.

They dont do they thats why I am going to our local gym and get back into shape.

The goal of reducing carb intake is actually very good and healthy - as the mainstay diet (in USA anyway) is mega-carb overloaded. However, people who lose insane amounts of weight are either very heavy and have poor habits (hey, I was 325lbs at one time ... as opposed to my current 185) or they are starving their body of something necessary so that it goes into some type of shock (I think for Atkins it is Ketoacetosis (sp)) and starts earing its' heaviest disposable asset - muscle.

We teach our kids - everything in moderation. No depravation, no starvation, no exclusions, just balance. I lost ~150 lbs in ~9 months when I was 23 by the oldest 'fad' diet - eat less and exercise. I put on ~40 lbs after my second son and was colicy was born and my wife was in the hospital for two weeks and sick for ~9 months, but I'm still at 185 now ... at 37. 5 mile runs everyday (really fun in the avg -10 weather this January in northern massachusetts!) and reasonable eating.

Anything that deprives your body of something it needs has a horrific rebound ... getting a quick 20 by depravation is one thing - but seek balance Obi ... seek balance ...

Mike

Originally posted by txa1265

getting a quick 20 by depravation is one thing - but seek balance Obi ... seek balance ...

Oh, I know that a balance is required. I'm not going to be very strict on it longer than three weeks at a time. There is balance, trust me. I'm not strictly sticking to just meats, etc. I just don't eat as much of the other stuff as I used to.

originally posted by txa1265:

The goal of reducing carb intake is actually very good and healthy - as the mainstay diet (in USA anyway) is mega-carb overloaded. However, people who lose insane amounts of weight are either very heavy and have poor habits (hey, I was 325lbs at one time ... as opposed to my current 185) or they are starving their body of something necessary so that it goes into some type of shock (I think for Atkins it is Ketoacetosis (sp)) and starts earing its' heaviest disposable asset - muscle.

We teach our kids - everything in moderation. No depravation, no starvation, no exclusions, just balance. I lost ~150 lbs in ~9 months when I was 23 by the oldest 'fad' diet - eat less and exercise. I put on ~40 lbs after my second son and was colicy was born and my wife was in the hospital for two weeks and sick for ~9 months, but I'm still at 185 now ... at 37. 5 mile runs everyday (really fun in the avg -10 weather this January in northern massachusetts!) and reasonable eating.

Anything that deprives your body of something it needs has a horrific rebound ... getting a quick 20 by depravation is one thing - but seek balance Obi ... seek balance ...

Mike

:wstupid:

Exactly. When the human body is deprived of vital nutrients, (such as carbohydrates) it goes into "conservation mode." It starts to use fat for energy instead of its normal diet of carbos. That's why people tend to lose weight on the Atkins diet. Unfortunately, once you get off the diet, the body, in order to brace itself for its next starvation phase, converts practically all food to fat. Consequently, the person rebounds and can actually gain more weight.

Every science teacher I've had has said that the Atkins diet is not a very healthy way to lose weight. Just follow the tried-and-true method of eating right (making sure to eat plenty of fruit and vegetables, avoid fatty foods, etc.) and exercising regularly. Now I'm not saying it's easy or quick; believe me, it isn't. But it's the healthiest way to do it, and you'll feel good that you made it.

Wow txa, running 37.5 miles per DAY?! Man, that's dedication for ya!

Originally posted by Neverhoodian

Every science teacher I've had has said that the Atkins diet is not a very healthy way to lose weight. Just follow the tried-and-true method of eating right (making sure to eat plenty of fruit and vegetables, avoid fatty foods, etc.) and exercising regularly. Now I'm not saying it's easy or quick; believe me, it isn't. But it's the healthiest way to do it, and you'll feel good that you made it.

Don't forget that you can not stop! That is why most diets fail, because it is not a lifetime goal, simply a temporary one.

Archived