Home

"Scientists Claim to Have Cloned Human Embryo"

Reborn Outcast

Originally posted by ET Warrior

Did you READ the article? They made stem cells, not a person...:rolleyes:

but we all know that sooner or later they will make a person soon. now all we have to do is to find a way to keep memories, and we have practically discovered infinete life! Kamino next!

originally posted by ET Warrior:

Did you READ the article? They made stem cells, not a person...

Ah, but this is only the first step...

I believe that it's only a matter of time before human clones start being produced. There could be any number of reasons why. Gay/lesbian couples might want a child using a method besides invetro-fertilization (sp) or adoption. Some parents might want their child to "look a certain way." Heck, some countries might see clones as cheap labor that can be easily exploited. Keep in mind that some scientists will do whatever it takes, even eschewing certain moral and ethical standards, to accomplish a "first." being the first to bring a fully-functioning human clone into the world would certainly be an auspicious "first." However, religious beliefs aside, there are some fundamental problems with cloning.

One possible problem with clones is that the process is far from perfect. All cloned animals have had weaker immune systems and less developed organs than the original animal. Consequently, their lifespans have been shorter. If humans are cloned, the already tottering health care system (in America at least) would be strained even further caring for clones who come down with diseases faster than humans who are not cloned.

Another problem deals with equality. Clones may experience feelings of inferiority because they may be percieved as "different" and "strange," because they were not "born," but "manufactured." Since they would be copies, they would feel like they are not an individual, and that, on the surface at least, there is someone else just like them. Such feelings may lead to psychological problems later in life.

If we are to undertake human cloning, we must be aware of all the ethical and moral implications it brings. If we aren't careful, we could find ourselves in perilous moral problems with no easy answer.

Originally posted by IG-64

No, i didn't read it (see #1)

If they didn't make a person then why is it a big deal?

I read your #1, and if you don't care then why are you acting concerned about it?

You should read the article anyways, so you at least know whats going on before you make claims to false accusations. Its an interesting read as well.

Originally posted by IG-64

No, i didn't read it (see #1)

If they didn't make a person then why is it a big deal?

*runs in circles around the room*

we're all gonna die!!!!

we're all gONNA DIE!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

*silence*

...ok the way I see it, if we can murder our babies before they are born, then why not grow them as well?

and then kill them?

and none of this..."oh its just a fetus"....in latin that means baby...as I recall.

so...in the name of science?

instead of a one night stand?

you guys swear, like its some big controversy.

get the hell over it.

no big difference there.

I see absolutely no reason to assume that, simply because we've now got technology to clone stem cells, which would completely revamp current medicine, giving us the abillites to cure what are currently uncurable diseases mind you, we're going to start making humans. Sure, maybe, someday. But would it be better to just make this technology hands off and have people dying all the time from parkinsons and diabetes, when we know that if we follow this research we can SAVE them?

Originally posted by XERXES

I read your #1, and if you don't care then why are you acting concerned about it?

You should read the article anyways, so you at least know whats going on before you make claims to false accusations. Its an interesting read as well.

Well, sorry, I din't mean to make any accusations, but when I hear "cloned human embryo" the first thing that pops in my head is, well, cloned people.

Originally posted by Neverhoodian

Gay/lesbian couples might want a child using a method besides invetro-fertilization (sp) or adoption.

Adoption and that other thing you mentioned are both better alternatives than cloning. And anyways, it's possible to make egg cells out of normal cells, and I'm pretty sure the same goes with sperm cells, so if they want children that are genetically connected to them, there are way better alternatives than cloning.

Some parents might want their child to "look a certain way."

Perhaps, but that technology has little to do with cloning.

Heck, some countries might see clones as cheap labor that can be easily exploited.

Clones are both more complicated to make and more expensive to make than normal children. So that won't happen. And in any case, there's no reason for why clones should have less rights than other people.

Keep in mind that some scientists will do whatever it takes, even eschewing certain moral and ethical standards, to accomplish a "first." being the first to bring a fully-functioning human clone into the world would certainly be an auspicious "first." However, religious beliefs aside, there are some fundamental problems with cloning.

It'll be a breakthrough for technology and science, and will open a lot of new paths. There's no problem in wanting to be "first".

One possible problem with clones is that the process is far from perfect. All cloned animals have had weaker immune systems and less developed organs than the original animal. Consequently, their lifespans have been shorter. If humans are cloned, the already tottering health care system (in America at least) would be strained even further caring for clones who come down with diseases faster than humans who are not cloned.

If properly cloned, it won't be any worse health-wise than it's origin. Faults in organ and immune systems shouldn't have anything to do with the cloning itself, but rather with inperfection in the cloning process.

Another problem deals with equality. Clones may experience feelings of inferiority because they may be percieved as "different" and "strange," because they were not "born," but "manufactured." Since they would be copies, they would feel like they are not an individual, and that, on the surface at least, there is someone else just like them. Such feelings may lead to psychological problems later in life.

Firstly, clones are born in the same way as humans, and I would definatly not say they are manufactured. Second, genes are only a part of what makes an induvidual, and even though two people share genes they will be two different persons.

I'm all up for letting them continue research to make breakthroughs with new diseases, but cloning a human? I dunno, doesn't seem right.

There are enough people on this earth - if parents that can't conceive want a child badly, they should adopt.

*shrugs*

Originally posted by Jed

I'm all up for letting them continue research to make breakthroughs with new diseases, but cloning a human? I dunno, doesn't seem right.

There are enough people on this earth - if parents that can't conceive want a child badly, they should adopt.

*shrugs*

Ya. I think they should find a way to slone spinal cords or something.

Originally posted by DarkLord60

Dont get me wrong its good for having extra organs to replace bad ones but i also dont think its natural.

Neither are synthetic drugs, but do you feel bad about taking some tylenol when you have a headache?

We're not talking about making actualy PEOPLE here, I mean, sure, maybe eventually we COULD, but practicality takes over, and people realize how impractical cloning is. aside from the massive expense, why wouldn't you just do it the old fashioined way? It's about 5,000,000 times more fun than cloning anyways.

But cloning STEM cells IS a big deal. stem cells are very impressionable and can be used to create tissue that our bodies won't reject in transplants. This is invaluable for burn patients, people who need heart transplants, the list goes on.

Originally posted by Jared

and none of this..."oh its just a fetus"....in latin that means baby...as I recall.

Fetus is both a noun and adjective in Latin. It can mean "pregnant" as an adjective or "childbirth" as a noun.

The Latin word for baby is infans.

Anyway, what's wrong with saying "Oh it's just a fetus."? I've got a list scores long of animals slaughtered every day with more life invested in them than a fetus does.

Archived