Home

Search someone

-]Holoman[-

Hello, this is a little bit crasy method to search but :

Can someone say me how I can contact one of the Boss-Coder from the Game : Jedi Academy ?

I´ve a question witch I didin´t cry out in the World.

I were very pleased when someone can tell me that.

I konw that someone would write something like :

- They didn´t answer

or

more like this.....

but

I want to try it in any case.

Hmm .. no risk no fun ... my question -->

Where im Code is the point of gravity ?

And how can I change the point of it ?

... .. me reason :

When I change the point of gravitation .. --> I can make a mod, where the gravity is only a point in the middle of the map ... how the real world ...

When this works .. then grows up a new era of mapping ..

Of corse you understand why I didn´t want to tell this anyone in a FOrum like this ... to danger that someone steal this Idee....

**** happens ....

When I change the point of gravitation .. --> I can make a mod, where the gravity is only a point in the middle of the map ... how the real world ...

When this works .. then grows up a new era of mapping ..

Huh? What now?

...your making a map which includes the centre of the earth (/moon/planet)?!

...that's gonna be one BIG download...!! :D

I'll forgive the bad english. In Quake3 Games, the 'gravity' is really just down - straight down. You can't make a globe and people won't be able to walk on the surface of it, like our planet earth. It is possible to code this kind of things in games, but it really wouldn't be worth it. You'd have a better time doing some other kinds of rad spatial effects, as the key goal of walking on a sphere/planet is that you can walk in one direction and if you walk long enough, you eventually reach the same point you were at before, which isn't possible currently in the Quake3 engine, unless you did some heavy modifications.

Are you a mapper or a coder? Modelling real world physics is a rough thing to accomplish, so much so that no video game completely recreates our physics, largely because we don't understand all of it. Central point gravitation is easy enough, I'd wager, but it'd be a rough journey from scratch.

Hmm Wudan you´re right ...

but one Game has make it ! no one Game an one Mod ...

The Game is Serios Sam ... Ok .. it isn´t Q3 but this game used this kind of gravity...

The Mod is an Mod for Half - Life ... ... DragonBall Z ... I´ve seen a Video of this Engine WOA O.o this is more then excellent ... of corse .. when I found this Video .. I can post a link...

@ youre question :

I´m a Mapper, Modeller, Coder (no realy long), ... the full pallet of Editing ^^

Hmmm ..Nothing the despite .. I´m gratefully to all of you for youre "help" ^^ didn´t bring me further but I´m more smartly

Thx @ all to read my worse English ^^

cu all sometime --> Close

Is this 'point of gravity' stuff meant to be used as:

a. A special case situation (e.g. the circular capsule in the spacecraft in 2001 for instance)

or

b. a standard mapping technique for 'normal' maps.

If a, then fair enough.

...but if b, then sorry, but this is an idea that isn't worth talking about...

Maybe for an engine which can handle areas 100's of miles across - where you might actually want (if you were really being anal) to take the curvature of the earth (/ other planetary body) into account, it might be something to consider.

..but for QIII?! :confused:

You could probably simulate spherical gravity through code, but not through just mapping alone.

If you mapped a curved surface, you could perform a trace towards the surface, and then orient the player skeleton based on that trace. Constantly add a vector based the trace's direction to the player's velocity and bingo - instant gravity. There's some precedent to it - something similar has already been done in JKA (without the skeleton rotation, which might be tricky) with sideways wallwalking. It would, as mentioned above, require some healthy coding though, assuming all the assumptions hold.

Archived