Home

Religious stuff...

Zavior

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been questioning that for years now. My brother said that God isn't a being, but he's a continum. Then I asked who set the God cycle in motion and he never gave me an answer. I know alot of ways to question God's existance, such as...

If God can do anything, can He make a rock that even He cannot lift?

-or-

Can God make 2 mountains without putting a canyon between them?

we firstly need to "define" god perhabs.

"someone" (a being? some form of intelligence?) or "something" (some kind of effect? some sort of causality?)

if it's "someone" is "he" "doing it" on purpose? or accidently?

also.. if god "created" us on purpose for some kind of plan if you will .. why such a "big" "universe" for only a "couple" of humans? or if he created the "universe" on purpose.. why only a couple of humans?

if it happend accidently.. was it some failed experiment? WHAT was the real aim then?

and if "god" is some kind of person .. what is "he" made of? from the same stuff he made "us" of? is "god" "artificial" by "himself" then?

if "god" is "something" could it be the "smallest bit" of the "puzzle" "universe" and all other dependencies and stuff that "makes up" the "universe"..?

This is what I believe:

God is something created from people's minds and thoughts. He was created because people could not understand the many workings of this universe, and due to their human curiosity and passion for understanding, they created what we refer to as "God" to satisfy their doubts and "fill in" the knowledge "gaps" missing from their lives.

This is what I choose to believe because due to the evidence deduced from our findings over the many thousands of years, their is no reasonable explanation for God's existence. But then again, what do we know? God could exist. Or maybe not. We just don't know for sure, and perhaps never will. However, from our current scientific standpoint, there hasn't been any plausible explanations for God's existence, as for now I'm inclined to believe that.

*waits for Skin to write a much more eloquent and articulate post :)

[edit]Let's not turn this into another flame war...or, wait...never mind, that's just wishful thinking. ;)

Same here. It happened with all the ancient religions. The Greeks created Gods to explain things they couldn't, life, death, earthquakes, etc. The Egyptians did too, the Vikings also, the Britons, etc.

Now since science has solved most of our questions about the physical universe, God and religion in general is here to try and explain the unexplainable such as life and death.

Such questions are unanswerable by science which is why people turn to religion.

I do believe however that there's some kind of strange force that can influence your everyday life(influence yourself). Perhaps it is just the strong will of a man/woman that helps us accomplish things we don't think we can but prayed that we would and did it.

I won't bore people with this, but certain events in my little life has made me believe this.

The thought however of a single omnipotent being capable of doing absolutely everything seems rather unlikely. Too many contradictions.

Originally posted by Kain

If God can do anything, can He make a rock that even He cannot lift?

The correct answer to the question is, He would create the rock, and then he'd lift it :p

And as for what created God... God wouldnt be much of a God if he wasnt the end of all begginging... and if we are going to insist on what created God, then what created the first protiens and cells that supposidly forumed the the earth and all that nonsense?

You cant believe anything without believeing that SOMTHING came from nothing, period, end of story.

Time to throw in my 2 cents' worth...

Personally, I don't think that there's any 'God' in existence. People created God just because they wanted something to believe in. If God were in existence, why is there so much suffering in the world? Why the terrorists?

There's been talk about God controlling whatever we do. I think that's not true either. Our future is in our own hands, we reap what we sow, no God controls us.

Originally posted by ET Warrior

But that isn't the correct answer, because then he hasn't made a rock so massive he couldn't lift it. He made a rock that he could lift.

Well the fact is if God is God, he can do anything, it would be correct that he could make a rock that he couldnt lift, and in the same instant it would be correct to be able to lift it.

Originally posted by Druid Allanon

why is there so much suffering in the world? Why the terrorists?

Without pain there is no relief, without hate there is no love, without Black there is no White. It wasn’t made that way, if you read the first book of the bible, it would answer that question for you.

I have seen first hand, in my life, things that cannot be explained, and oddly enough, they happened when people prayed... odd isn’t it... I've literally seen a girl’s leg grow an inch, I’ve seen a broken limp form back together in a matter of seconds. My brother saw a man with an eyeless socket, grow an eye.

All I know, is I have seen things that defy mortal laws, and it happened when I called upon "God"

It doesnt bother me if you guys choose not to believe it, but I dont lie, and I've seen what I've seen, and nothing can change that.

on the rock thing:

??? if or if not.. what would that mean?

and what is a big rock? a planet? a sun? a black hole? .. and also .. everything is made of atoms and subparticles, whatever come with it.. what if he lifts it atom by atom? is he lifting a stone though? and.. in zero gravity .. even i could "lift" a big rock.

i totally deny the importance and significance of that question.

Without pain there is no relief, without hate there is no love, without Black there is no White. It wasn’t made that way, if you read the first book of the bible, it would answer that question for you.

I have seen first hand, in my life, things that cannot be explained, and oddly enough, they happened when people prayed... odd isn’t it... I've literally seen a girl’s leg grow an inch, I’ve seen a broken limp form back together in a matter of seconds. My brother saw a man with an eyeless socket, grow an eye.

All I know, is I have seen things that defy mortal laws, and it happened when I called upon "God"

It doesnt bother me if you guys choose not to believe it, but I dont lie, and I've seen what I've seen, and nothing can change that.

1. did you saw it directly in front of yourself? i mean.. 10 cm distance?

2. i demand a video? .. wait screw that. maybe it's manipulated..

3. an advice.. stay away from those lsd-pills. :p

;)

Now since science has solved most of our questions about the physical universe, God and religion in general is here to try and explain the unexplainable such as life and death.

How daring!

Such questions are unanswerable by science which is why people turn to religion.

How confident! That's because religion is about pleasing people by giving them what they WANT, but not what they NEED (truth of knowledge)

Originally posted by RayJones

1. did you saw it directly in front of yourself? i mean.. 10 cm distance?

I wouldnt claim it if I didnt see it.

2. i demand a video? .. wait screw that. maybe it's manipulated..
videos dont prove anything, and no, I didnt get it dont tape, but I dont need one, I saw my proof

3. an advice.. stay away from those lsd-pills. :p
Im straight edge, I've never touched LSD.

Originally posted by ZDawg

I wouldnt claim it if I didnt see it.

yes. but you can see something from the near like for instance the things on your monitor, OR you can see things from the far like the guy on the other side of the street. and yes that makes a difference.. ;)

videos dont prove anything, and no, I didnt get it dont tape, but I dont need one, I saw my proof

just what i said. and you really saw a growing leg? and was it too short or what? and you brother saw an eye growing? an human one? how..? i mean.. why? and when? (just asking)

yes. but you can see something from the near like for instance the things on your monitor, OR you can see things from the far like the guy on the other side of the street. and yes that makes a difference.. ;)

I was 1-2 feet from it.

just what i said. and you really saw a growing leg? and was it too short or what? and you brother saw an eye growing? an human one? how..? i mean.. why? and when? (just asking)

Yes a Growing leg, yes a human eye, why? because sometimes God can show himself in ways you never thought possible.

Thats a very old question, and its been answered... its a trick question, with a trick answer, in which case most people wont accept the answer.

my trick-answer to that is that i assume god is a "cheater" and lifts it "atom by atom"..

but still, it depends where he would lift it.

also: what is a big rock? and what material is a big rock made of.

i mean "driving fast" can mean nearly anything. mainly it just says "you are moving".

another example would be that for an ant a stone of the size of a fist may occur HUGE. but every primate on earth should be able to lift it.

all that leaves much room for interpretation. too much to have a point after all.

Yes a Growing leg, yes a human eye, why? because sometimes God can show himself in ways you never thought possible.

no. i meant why as why? was the leg too short and had to be corrected? (or was that girl living on a hill and needed a short and a long leg :)) also had that man an eye and lost it? or was that eye "missing" from his birth on?

Thats a very old question, and its been answered... its a trick question, with a trick answer, in which case most people wont accept the answer.

It has NOT been answered. Your answer is completely contradictory to the question. There is no way that God can make something so big he can't lift if, and as soon as he does it he lifts it.

no. i meant why as why? was the leg too short and had to be corrected? (or was that girl living on a hill and needed a short and a long leg :)) also had that man an eye and lost it? or was that eye "missing" from his birth on?

The one-leg-shorter-now-longer con is one of the oldest known. As to the other "miraculous" healings, perhaps Zdawg believes what he saw, but he undoubtedly witnessed some clever scams. Never has a case of "faith healing" been documented or verified medically that couldn't be explained by psychosomatic response (placebo effect). Certainly not a sudden healing of a blind man or sudden growth of a limb. Flim-flam, pure and simple.

The one-leg-shorter-now-longer con is one of the oldest known. As to the other "miraculous" healings, perhaps Zdawg believes what he saw, but he undoubtedly witnessed some clever scams. Never has a case of "faith healing" been documented or verified medically that couldn't be explained by psychosomatic response (placebo effect). Certainly not a sudden healing of a blind man or sudden growth of a limb. Flim-flam, pure and simple.

What I think you've run into here, Skin, is an aspect of God that you can't explain away, so you write it off as a con.

The truth is, these things do happen, and there is not a scientific explanation for them - because it is the power of God.

I know. I've seen similar things myself.

Talk to people who have been to see 'mystical' guru's.

Notible examples exist in India - particular, well-known Hindu guru's are seen as 'semi-divine' - and you will find many, many people who can give you details of shed-load of miracles performed by them....

...are these people lying?

If you have the audacity to accuse them of lying (or being mistaken, deluded etc. etc.), why do you expect us to hold a double-standard? i.e. believe the miracles you claim to have seen / experienced, but then discount these other 'non-christian' miracles...?

The truth is, these things do happen, and there is not a scientific explanation for them - because it is the power of God.

Will they never stop...

Where is the truth here? It's your point of view. Where are your objective reasons for taking god's power as true in this case. Only thing that your common sense tells me now is that if something has yet no scientific explanantion has right to be considered god's power, and everything that does - has not. Am I right?

Skin has pointed to you some objective reasons why this knowledge of yours is highly unreliable, thus cannot be taken as true. Don't be blind, please.

Skin has pointed to you some objective reasons why this knowledge of yours is highly unreliable, thus cannot be taken as true. Don't be blind, please.

Skin didn't point to anything, he wrote it off as a con: "clever scams" is what he said. If it was a con, I wouldn't have seen it happen right in front of my eyes. Skin is writing it off as a scam because he can't explain it, and therefore assumes that it isn't true.

I say it was the power of God. That's what I believe.

Archived