Home

Oldskool Players?

Long Live MI

Just wondering how old people were when they first started playing Monkey Island... I got mine in 1991 on the pc when i was but 4.... Admittedly much of the reading was done by my older sister but i was the one who finally beat it.

As you can all appreciate, it kinda lead to a big disappointment as far as gaming is concerned, the only other game i enjoyed half as much was Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. They just don't make 'em like they used to. What happened to adventure games?

[/naustalgia]

Originally posted by Long Live MI

As you can all appreciate, it kinda lead to a big disappointment as far as gaming is concerned, the only other game i enjoyed half as much was Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. They just don't make 'em like they used to. What happened to adventure games?

[/naustalgia]

I remember I got the Classic Adventures pack when I was about 9 years old. Never have I devoted so much time to any computer games as those.

You said you were disappointed in many other games. Did you ever play any of these: Loom, Indy and the Last Crusade, Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max Hit the Road? These are all classic great games in my book.

Originally posted by Long Live MI

I played all the games except indy and the last crusade...Is that like fate of atlantis? I played indy and the infernal machine, but that's like tomb raider.....If it's the monkey 1 + 2 interface, I'm going to buy it now.....

Infernal Machine pretty much sucked. Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb is where it's at.

Hi all you Monkey fans (time passes quickly) I played the first game MI1 long long time ago just before the first Gulf War. Playing, Full Throttle, Sam and Max, Kings Quest Games, The Dig, Discworld, My favourite except for Monkey Island was Indiana Jones Fate of Atlantis just to name a few, as the list is endless and still have the originals in the loft and play them occasionally " sad eh":)

"Oh how can I get a picture on my message?"

i got MI3 wen i was 9 and that nite wen i was in bed my mum took 4 hours 2 complete part one (at the time she was 29) and in the mornin i was well dissapointed! shes 35 now and cant wait 4 MI5 to come out...gow up mum...shes loved MI ever since...

...but still says nothin beats space invaders:confused:

• 1 month later...

My dad bought my older brother Monkey Island 2 for his birthday along time ago....I was the first to play it. lol. I was about 6 or 7 when i first played it. I was addicted. Whenever i was outside I use to pretend I was Guybrush and role playing around and all that stuff. Then a few years after that, I saw the original, then bought it. And loved it! I was still obsessed. I played those two games sooo much, and coulnd't get enough of playing them.

Thank god for the master minds who but their teamwork together and created those games.

I never really got into MI3 or MI4, i just didn't like the artwook as much, too cartoony. Then I found out it is because a different team created it. That explained it.

I am ready for more, but theres nothing left right now(that will satisfy me), except what is in the drawer of Ron Gilberts desk (his MI3 designes).

So I have to make my own adventure....that is why I am joining the Navy. lol. (not the only reason.)

ok, im done now, im gonna go and have a barking contest with my neigbors dog...

later.

Point and clickies have always been my favourite genre. I got into them when I first got a pc back in 95.

I've played plenty; Sam and Max, Monkey Islands, Broken Sword, Beneath a Steel Sky, the Dig etc.

They are brilliant games. To be honest I would have liked MI4 to have been point and clicky...but times change *sighs*

I think i was very young when i got monkey island 1 and 2 in a white label box. I am 14 now and i think the only reason i got it was because it had monkey in the title, the cover or because it had funny jokes on the back like "Ear-piercing reggae music".

I got my Amiga version of MI 1 in 91-92, I was 10 at that time. Lots of good memories about that game, I spent whole summer playing it with my sister, and I think it's the only game that i've really been addicted to.

• 4 weeks later...

I first got MI when I was about 9 (I'm 23 now). It was the Amiga version, and I just fell in love with it. It was the first adventure game I ever played and it took a long time for me to get anywhere at all.. my English wasn't too good either as I live in Norway. I actually thought that the entire game took place on Melee island, and I was really excited when a friend told me that there was a lot more to the game than that!

To me, it was actually a serious game since I was too young to understand much of the humour and as I said I really didn't know much English either. Because of this, the game is still really athmospheric to me and it really draws me in.

I also remember being amazed by its size as it came on 4 floppies. The largest game I'd played until then was It came from the Desert which was on 3 floppies.

I was really stunned when I bought MI2 and found out that it was on 11 floppies! That's quite a lot, thank God for CD's :)

Anyway, I consider these two games to be the "real" MI games, the two other ones just didn't do it for me. I did like MI3, though, but not by far as much as the previous two.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah memories! I was 13 when I got my hands on CMI, it was just out for Christmas and my Dad bought it for my 7yr old sister but I was the one who fell in love with it. That was seven years ago, scary

• 4 weeks later...

I got it when I was young but I couldnt read then so it wasnt so much fun. Im pretty glad I didnt play then either because I would have to look on the internet to find how to do the puzzles. That would ruin the game. So im kinda thankful I waited. Little kids have a short attention spans. When you first go through the game you need a punching bag....very agravating. Thank goodness for punching bags.

Archived