Home

Collecting S&M comics

Brushguy

Maybe I can fill in some of the missing TOTALLY FOX KIDS info. I own several of them. They were free if you subscribed back then but for some reason they have a $1 price on the covers.

Here's what I have and the Sam and Max info:

August 1997:

Sam and Max on the cover. They're the centerpiece of a group shot showing most of the new Fox kid's show...Louie Anderson is the only other character I can recognize. Sam is holding an Oscar.

Spring 1998:

Centerfold covers 2 pages. Shows Sam and Max in their office with every oddball thing imaginable around them. "Purcell" is written on the ant farm Max is holding...although it contains people instead of ants. Is this the "Sam and Max in the office" piece I see listed on various websites? It's not a strip but a 2 page centerfold/drawing.

Summer 1998:

"Action Figure Surgery."

Other things I have that I don't see listed (and not from FOX):

A poster/ad for S&M Surfin' the Highway. Reproduces the cover and is ~ 14"x18."

I bought a S&M print from Steve Purcell at Wondercon several years ago (also got the t-shirt and moving pen). The print is numbered 40/500 and is ~ 14"x18." Steve also gave us an Italian version of the game. He had some in several languages and we chose Italian. "Arrivaderciiiii Sam and Max!!!"

I also have "shelftalker"...a stand up ad for the game. It's about 14"x4." It has S&M holding a gun on one side...a rat eating a fig newton is emerging from the barrel...and Blurbs on the other..."Adventure Game of the Year." "Golden Triad Award" and stuff like that. "Look for the CD-ROM 'talkie' version."

Hope that info helps.

Sure. I'll see if I can get it scanned this week. I'll scan the shelftalker, the cover of the first FOX KIDS news and the 2 page centerfold of Sam and Max in the office.

The print is too big to scan...plus I have it framed and matted.

I haven't checked the samandmax.net front page yet but there must be info about where one can send pix/scans.

Just e-mailed 5 scans:

August 97 cover of FOX KIDS

Action Figure Surgury

"Shelftalker" - ad for the game

The 2 page centerfold from FOX KIDS

The Key to "Something's Not Right Here" - detailing what is 'not right' in the centerfold.

Sorry about the size but I wanted to send good quality scans...feel free to size to your needs.

Just a couple days ago I got my first Sam & Max comic, it was "Bad Day on the Moon", I just asked my local comic book store about anything Sam & Max and they said the could just put a vague order on it. (Sorta like "If anything comes in, we'll send it here.") I payed $3.50 CAD for it, I thought that was a pretty good price. It was in excellent shape too, only a couple of crease marks around the spine. :D I'm still hoping they find more. I also got the tapes off of the videoflicks website as well, good stuff those tapes.

Thanks for the info.

I've been a Sam and Max fan for a long time but until recently I didn't know some of the TV show episodes had been released commercially. I just finished converting my old taped-from-television episodes to DVD which reminded me I was missing some episodes.

They did some funny things when they originally aired the S&M here...showed some, then mixed some repeats in with a few new ones then stopped. I'm not sure they aired all of the series in the area I live in.

I'll keep looking, thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

That dirty jerkoff batroy snuck in at the last seconds of bidding on eBay to steal "The Collected SAM & MAX Surfin' the Highway --MINT NR" from me.

You can check out the bid war that happened in the last 18 seconds, as he had to pay in the 70's to top my highest bid.

The only thing that makes me okay, is that he payed over 40 bucks higher than what it was going for, for most of the time.

I'm still really pissed, though. I wanted it so badly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6533275370&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEDW%3AIT&rd=1

Update: if anyone cares.... the bidder that one-up'd me the other day was unable to pay, so it came back to me as a "second chance" to pay my highest bid, right away. So I took it.

Apparently the seller was non other than Steve Purcell, himself. I became a giddy little school boy when he wrote me about the book. And he said for me paying so much, I got this also...

forscottsmall.JPG

Archived