Home

the future of the jedi series ...

darthzick

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Prime

Yeah, but X-Wing Alliance came out 7 years after X-Wing. Jedi Academy came out 18 months after Jedi Outcast.

Exactly! You make my point for me! 18 is greater than 7! So the JA graphics compared to JO should be 257% better than the graphics in XWA compared to XWing!

:confused:

;)

Mike

Originally posted by Prime

Good thing I indicated units of time ;)

Your foolish little 'units of time' are no match for the power of my illogical argument!

:D

Back to the Jedi series. I don't want it to stop being a FPS-based game. I love that thrilling action. However, I'd really like to see options - choices. Flexibility. And I know that isn't easy.

Mike

Choices ... and consequences.

Not an automated operated saying "If you'd like to stay on the light path, Press 1. If you'd like to turn to the Dark Side, Press 2. If you'd like to impale yourself on your lightsaber, Press 3."

If the next game has a dark/light path, give it some depth. KotOR did it very well - your actions point you towards the light or dark (or you can play neutral) but ultimately you must choose a path.

I have a hard time seeing gripping someone in the air, and pummelling them against a stone wall while they gasp out there last remaining breaths as 'not light or dark' ... same goes for a slow, torturous death by electrocution, for that matter ... or draining someone's life-force for your own benefit.

Mike

Ultimately I think everyone here can agree that they want the next game to come out for the JK series to be immersive. Ultimately the point of any good star wars game should be to make you feel like your inside a star wars movie that's all your own. The thing that kills star wars games is a lack in that sense of immersion in the star wars universe. If lucasarts can deliver that then they've done their jobs. Period.

I'm not trying to compare the X-Wing series to the JK series in any respect, it's only an example to show how graphics can greatly improve atmosphere. If I wanted to bring the JK series into it, I would have compared the original JK with JA. Remember thos angular, ropey looking characters and locations? Don't get me wrong, it's a classic, but JA's locations and implementation of character design were obviously better, thanks to the wonders of modern technology. Atmosphere is a key point to all Star Wars game, something JediLiberator summed up quite eloquently. That was also my point in citing that a Deus Ex 2-style engine, with it's advanced lighting effects, would undoubtedly add oodles of atmosphere. A lightsaber duel in the dark? I don't think it could get much more tense.

But you can get decent lighting in JA from the saber - unlike in JKII, which was wrong, IMO. JK was a bit over the top, JA was more like EpII in the lighting regard. In fact, I could easily see a Dooku vs. Anakin style showdown in JA.

Poor JK. Right after it came out Quake II was released, featuring an engine that scaled with hardware. So on the mid-range of 1997 they looked ~similar, but on todays; hardware Q2 looks decent, and JK looks like ... well, it looks several years old ...

Better graphics are never a bad thing, nor are advanced physics - but they are niceties to be added to an existing solid framework, not an end unto themselves.

Mike

Which is what I've been trying to say. I'm not so shallow as to think visuals are the most important thing in a game-they most certainly aren't. The JK series has already built up a solid framework for a game, now it's the aesthetics and additional gameplay features that need work; my reason for the ideas that I've come out with so far. Immersion is the key for games based on this particular story, and with every advancement, the developers of these games face increased potential to further this particular end. I'm not saying every SW game (stand up Rebel Assault) could benefit from this, as they do need a solid framework, as you said. But those who already have such a framework could definitely further themselves in this way.

note: people are mentioning that they would like Kyle Katarn to return to the Jedi Knight series.

interesting personality.....but damn, hes kinda to old and doesnt have any style to him except for the pale grey and light brown pants and shirt he wears.

for the next JK, you should either be able to create your own character (like in JA) or you should be able to choose (or maybe create) a jedi/character such as the model:

model reborn/boss (which can be inputed in the console in JA) : to get a really intriuging characer with style and personality all in one.

previously, I spoke of an RPG'ish side to the next JK, so if the idea of this type of character (which infact looks like a master reborn in robes that really bring out coolness) is mixed with being able to suit him up and equip him, this character would definetly be a character that would be enjoyable to play and would give the feeling of a true jedi master..... not like kyle katarn who looks like just another character that would help a player along a mssion.

so if anybody wants to see the type of cool model that players should control in the next game, your in luck for its instilled in JA itself. The model is: model reborn/boss:cool:

Originally posted by Tidus01

so if anybody wants to see the type of cool model that players should control in the next game, your in luck for its instilled in JA itself. The model is: model reborn/boss:cool:

You mean the ones that have clown colours?

I always thought that JK was more atmospheric than JO/JA. There was something about the level design or just the look, or even the textures used that really immersed me into the game. It just felt a lot more star warsy. I think the JO/JA games were a little less because of some of the weapon choices made and some of the character design used. Even sounds are very distinctive and can have a great effect on the game, hence all the saber sound mods and even sound changes for the guns. What i'm saying is that little touches here and there can have a great effect on the perception of people on whether the game is good or if it is just ok. So far though, i think the games that have come out since JK (JO/JA) have been great and just ok. But i think the devs know that and i have faith that the next game will blow us all away.

Saying Kyle can't be in the next game 'cause he's too old is silly.

Obi-Wan, Yoda, Dooku, etc continued to kick butt well into their golden years.

And Kyle doesn't have to keep the same khaki/brown Bantha herder outfit, after all he had a nice black getup in MotS (and several mods have been made for JK2/JA where he wears something cooler looking).

We've had two diversions from the series using "younger" characters, MotS and now JA.

Archived