Home

very stupid aunt

rick ulo 11103

my aunt was getting TONS of music off of kazza (and you know how it gives you lots of virusus) without any anti virus system running and all the time me and my cousen were yelling at her .

that happened yesterday

today the computer is WRECKED

have anyone of you experienced something like this?

take her computer and sell parts of it.....then take the money to her and say "i told you not to do this, so i took the parts of your computer and sold them." then wave money, fold up into pocket and buy another game......at least thats what i would do but thats just me....and i dont like me aunt....she looks like Salacious Crumb:fett:

I have NortonAV and ad aware, a handful of d'ls on kazaa lite were rounded up quarantined, cheeky buggers.....

yes, your aunt is silly....she reaps what she sows though, why didnt any of you get off your A$$ses and install some AV software for her anyway..... poor lady...where's your uncle in all this....not in front of the TV in a truckers hat I hope...... j/k

MTFBWYA

Well, what can I say but this ...

Anyone who pirates stuff deserves to get their computer hosed ... perhaps at least some value equity will be gained from the cost, hassle and trouble of having her computer repaired.

I'm sorry, but this is like saying that you stole a car, and then complaining that the in-board VCR ate your video tape. Tough luck - buy the CD's!

I recommend three alternatives - iTunes music store, Amazon.com or the older alternative 'brick and mortar' music shop. People said that <$1 per song would be the price to thwart pirates ... heh, like that matters to them. Why pay for something if you can get it free with seemingly no complications?

Mike

Originally posted by txa1265

I'm sorry, but this is like saying that you stole a car, and then complaining that the in-board VCR ate your video tape.

....Tough luck - buy the CD's!

Mike

....In board VCR in a car...Man!! you ARE old.....!! all us kids have in board dvd players Mike.....

...I have ripped a few cds and dvds in my time.... but the bugger of a thing is that stuff I *really* want is relatively rare so I dont really have any option other than to buy...... :violin:

as far as piracy is concerned... different points to consider :

1. Organised crime element that mass produces pirated material and sells things cheap(happens alot in Asian countries especially) They make money off it and thats wrong.....

2. Filthy rich rock/pop stars who whine about their stuff being downloaded....starting with Lars from Metallica........that ************ !

3. Every time I hear how much Bill Gates makes that I feel like burning 100 copies of xp, office etc and throwing them off a plane with little parachutes, with note attached, "please make 100 copies of each, attach parachute and repeat"

4. Every time I hear about the lifestyle sof actor who make a mint per picture, I wish (1.) from above send them and their leechy producers into bankruptcy

*puts on armour, helmet and gauntlets* , waits for "Old Moral Mike" to lay down the law......* :p

MTFBWYA

BTW, all of my tragic and catastrophic computer crashes throughout history have occurred due to one single factor : my own stupidity....I have learnt something, each time though.....

My personal views...

They should just make it free to have - but not for profit. If your going to listen to it - then let them have it free.

Ya - I know...blah blah they won't make any money off a CD. Well if they'd stop making CRAP CDS I'd buy them - Hell...name a CD that has come out recently with ALL of its songs a worthwhile listen., excluding Greatest Hits CDs.

I love music, I love CD's but I hate throwing $13 dollars of my hard earned money on one song....I also can't stand Apple so no itunes for me!

Originally posted by STTCT

Ya - I know...blah blah they won't make any money off a CD. Well if they'd stop making CRAP CDS I'd buy them - Hell...name a CD that has come out recently with ALL of its songs a worthwhile listen., excluding Greatest Hits CDs.

I started a thread specific to good music in 2003.

Here are a bunch that really blew me away - worth every penny, IMO.

1. Jeff Beck - Jeff

2. John Scofield - Up All Night

3. Pat Metheny - One Quiet Night

4. Dave Holland Quintet - Extended Play Live at Birdland

5. Wayne Shorter - Alegria

- Box Set - Jaco Pastorius - Anthology

- Reissue - Art Ensemble of Chicago - Reese & The Smooth Ones

Then there's ones that were good, but not great - still very listenable:

- David Sanborn - Time Again

- ScoLoFoHo - Oh! (a John Scofield ensemble)

- the XIII Soundtrack

- The LOTR RotK soundtrack

I know this isn't 'pop' oriented material - but I never had much like for pop stuff. I was recently pulling songs from my brother's old John Lennon albums, and for the 5 songs I wanted on my iPod I had to pull out ... 5 albums! So let us just say that the 2-good song album is not a new phenomenon.

Another thing - the people whose music I listen to literally have their lives impacted by CD sales - many live month to month based on CD sales and gigs. Even the 'rich' ones - like Metheny - are not so well off that they do not need to work and sell CD's.

I love music, I love CD's but I hate throwing $13 dollars of my hard earned money on one song....I also can't stand Apple so no itunes for me!
I also hate throwing money at bad product - but I could have bought 10 CD's for the crap games I dumped cash into last year that I regret (Deus Ex 2, Unreal 2, couple of GBA games).

If you don't like a company (e.g. Apple, Microsoft, Sony, Disney, etc) the best way to let them know is to *not* buy their stuff. So I applaud you exercising your dislike of Apple by not using iTunes.

Mike

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

*puts on armour, helmet and gauntlets* , waits for "Old Moral Mike" to lay down the law......* :p

I guess my issue is with the disingenuousness of piracy. We seem to have globally decided as rationalization for piracy that to aspire to succeed is good and shows that you are ambitious, but having succeeded makes you a filthy rich greedy underserving subjugator of the downtrodden masses who *deserves* to have their property stolen from them.

If people would say - yes, I steal music and software, I saved $5000 last year alone by stealing everything I could grab ... and acknowledge that stealing is stealing, and is wrong. I would have less of a problem. I would disagree with it, but at least there would be honesty involved.

I teach my kids - if it is not yours, you leave it alone, you have no right to it. What is the new pirates parenting philosophy - if it is good, pay for it, if it is mediocre or lousy, they don't deserve to be paid, so just steal it if you can, they're too rich to notice? If so, we really are living in a moral sewer ...

Piracy has gotten to the point where, as one Mac game publisher put it - what should have been their best seller of all time sold ~100,000 copies, but they have indications that over 1,000,000 were downloaded from various p2p places. That has an impact on what games are made - and let me assure you that the decisions are not good for us gamers.

Similarly for music - if you like commercial music (not just pop, anything possibly associated with the 'broadcast' part of thee Grammy's would be commercial, IMO) and don't like the trend in what is available, you have piracy in part to thank. Downloads have impacted millions of sales, making music biz execs make tough decisions about what to push - and because the music *biz* is a business, which is about making money, not art - the decisions are not about better variety and quality of music.

Mike

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

....In board VCR in a car...Man!! you ARE old.....!! all us kids have in board dvd players Mike.....

Tell my poor kids! I have to drive - what do I care what is in the back :D At least we have the hookups so I can plug in my laptop to broadcast DVDs (send a 15" screen to a 6" screen ... go figure ...)

;)

Mike

Oh bittersweet irony. I hear about all these people who get viruses from downloading stuff. I've been dl'ing stuff for years (I quit about 2 months ago), and now I have a virus from clicking on ONE bad link.

I HATE EM ALL DAMMIT!!

Originally posted by STTCT

My personal views...

They should just make it free to have - but not for profit. If your going to listen to it - then let them have it free.

Linkin Park Meteora, Time Stoppers movie soundtrack, and the last four Weird Al cds :p

And I don't care if people pirate music, but i think it is just plain wrong to pirate movies and espesially video games! :mad:

TiE

Originally posted by Tie 23

And I don't care if people pirate music, but i think it is just plain wrong to pirate movies and espesially video games! :mad:

TiE

Can someone please explain this to me?

No really - what's with the subjective morality? Wouldn't one morality apply - if you believe that downloading stuff for your use, and uploading stuff for others' use is not stealing but rather covered by a broad application of the 'fair use' clause, then why should games or movies be different? Is making a video tape from a DVD then sharing it (i.e. non-exclusive) so different then making an audio tape from a CD and sharing it? Or a CD-R from a game from that matter.

I know that all morality is not black and white, but I hope to learn something from this thought process. The reason I join these discussions is that most of you are much younger than me (I'll not insult you by calling you kids) and as I have young kids ... it can only help me to learn. My morality is pretty well set, as some have noted :p

Mike

Archived