Home

very stupid aunt

rick ulo 11103

well no one shouldn't be afraid of virus most of them are useless anyway including the blaster worm(most useless to me).etc as long as you have a good anti virus program that update regularly

and there free and good ones avalible like avast!(http://www.avast.com/i_idt_153.html) and AVG(http://www.grisoft.com).

and also you should also beware of spywares so you should download free spyware removal programs like adaware,spybot .There are also other free spyware removal tools but some are actually spywares themselves and they trick you to believe that they remove spyware but instead they install spywares to your PC instead.

(sorry didn't include link use a search engine!)

and also free programs like spywareblaster and spyware guard. they do not remove spywares but they block them instead(they don't block those contained in setup files i believe .)and also give you more control over activeX protection.and it seem only to work with internet explorer more..(both found at http://www.javacoolsoftware.com)

and ...update....every once and then.

and finally

you might want some privacy too(to clear evidence) so you might want to download stuff like MRu-blaster(http://www.javacoolsoftware.com)

to clear your most recently used ........

and when deleting files set the number of passes higher so it will be harder to recover (optional)

and there also 1 good free program which i really like it for security (sorry no other open source thingy since this topic is about virus and spywares.. ...)

SafeXp(http://theorica.mirrorz.com/)

it work on 9x,me/2000 and xp

but when u open it choose carefully on which feature to enable .I do not encourage all items to be checked so juz put ur mouse over to that particular item and read it description.( i will not be responsible if you checked on the wrong item and actually want that particular services to be activated like windows update.)

on final note if her com is really doom... then it might be time to reformat of reinstall the neccesary windows files

overwriting the existing one and do the updates.....

Sorry my english is poor....i'm juz trying to type it out so don't blame me if you can't understand what i'm saying...

Wrote this in a rush so it incomplete but i believe it should be enough to give u an rough idea.

BYE

Originally posted by txa1265

Can someone please explain this to me?

No really - what's with the subjective morality?

Mike

Ok, I will admit , at some point or another :

*I have ripped music Cds

*I have ripped game, software Cdroms

*I have ripped DVD movies.....

*I have uploaded music, software

In no way do I see them as being any *different* some people think just because it is a movie DVD then ripping it is wrong, thats crap, it all falls under the same copyright infringement legislation, and all the same penalties still apply, Therefore as far as the law is concerned, whether you downloaded some songs or ripped 'the "Two Towers" DVD from your friend its all a breach of copyright. In terms of the enforcing and policing of the law, whether you made one copy for yourself, or 100,000 copies for sale in south east asia is a different thing...

needless to say, I can honestly tell you that 90% of people I know have some form of 'ripped' material, as per the copyright legislation..... the other 10% dont care or are rich enough that buying the items is used as a tax deduction.....

I don't know what the solution is to this 'issue'.....but as long as it as 'easy to do' , many will continue to do it, it is human nature....

btw, do I weep for sony,any of the major film companies and recird labels?..... no..... so much money is involved in the 'entertainment industry' that this element of it is as inevitable as day is followed by night

what a mess.....

astrotoy7

*owner and free distributor of the full set of metallica cds and dvds* yes Lars, whatcha gonna do...... :p ...... kiddin

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

btw, do I weep for sony,any of the major film companies and recird labels?..... no..... so much money is involved in the 'entertainment industry' that this element of it is as inevitable as day is followed by night

I do not weep for any large business taking a hit for legitimate reasons - I love to see companies pushing crap getting their due (i.e. making a movie for $100mil that takes in $4mil!).

I do not think that makes them a legitimate target for stealing, however. If they are selling crap - don't buy it. Period. No reason to steal.

Mike

I'll admit it now, I have downloaded songs, but most of the songs I've downloaded I actually HAVE the CD's that they came on, I've just lost them or ruined them or just don't want to travel all teh way home to get them.

The ones that I don't already have, I have two rationales. One, I want to find out if I like the band, and if the songs are worth paying money for. Two, I really have no intention of EVER buying that CD, even if it means i'll never hear that song again, but It'd be nice to have a little variety in my playlist.

Perhas i'm a criminal, perhaps i'm stealing. I would contest the stealing part with the songs from CD's I've paid for in my lifetime, but I'll agree i perhaps am stealing with the other songs. And I do feel bad for the industries I hurt, but I can say that I dont keep many of the songs on my harddrive for very long anyways, so it's more like I'm taking the songs out for a test drive...

i can definitely say that I have never downloaded a whole album, just select songs from an album, and often if its a song from a particular band that I dont really like that much.... mostly, bands that I love I have all their albums... like Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, Krs 1, Atari Teenage Riot etc etc....

Believe it or not I have *bought* every Star Wars/Lucasarts title I own, starting at Rebel Assault and most recently with KOTOR... The only one I ever ripped was 'starfighter' on pc. After playing it on ps2 i wasnt hugely impressed with it, and tried the pc version when it came my way...... I have no problem with forking out for these games, i see it as my way of showing support for the great games experiences they have provided me with.. the same goes for the Final Fantasy series and Neverwinter Series.... I have all retail versions..... Ive often found that the games I games I have ripped are the ones that I had borrowed and was undecided about if I liked them or not.....

A question.... if you hired a pc game, and installed it, and continued to play it with a no-cd patch after you had returned , is this still 'stealing'....

MTFBWYA

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

A question.... if you hired a pc game, and installed it, and continued to play it with a no-cd patch after you had returned , is this still 'stealing'....

MTFBWYA

Absolutely - which is *exactly* why many places had no-returns on open boxes for games.

When it comes to downloading songs you have bought but the CD got ruined or whatever, that is tough ... but when it came to John Zorn's Naked City (more avante garde stuff, but this with a thrash-metal-jazz slant) I chose to re-buy the CD. My older son loved to take all of the cd's out of the cases and put them in a pile when he was ~2 ...

Mike

Originally posted by txa1265

Absolutely - which is *exactly* why many places had no-returns on open boxes for games.

Mike

yeah, I can understand that policy for retailers but I am referring to places that hire out PC games..... Our local blockbuster has a great selection.... I just thinks its ridiculous to assume that hiring NWN or KOTOR for $6/3 nights is going to give you enough time to play through the game sufficiently to determine if you want it.......

MTFBWYA

Archived