Home

Jedi Academy Cry

EmperorZod

oE|EmperorZod here with a cry from thousands of Jedi series players. Does Ravensoft know that there was a huge amount of players who play true FFA and TDM on jedi outcast and Jedi academy? Im talking no saber only and no changes to force regain or any other server setting. The only games available now are all saber only, or have the force regain turned up all the way. Do you guys actually look at the internet lists of servers that are up? Is it not easy to say that allowing such foolish settings ruins this game? After all, its designed the way it is and tested the way its intended to be right? Well, after playing true ffa for 2 years on jedi outcast I joined oE, a gun clan. Our favorite game ever for our clan is Jedi Outcast, but what I was surprised to learn, was that there were many many other clans who played true FFA and TDM, even starting their own leagues and such.

They all have stopped playing Jedi Academy, and my clan is in considerations to disband the jka division. So of course im left upset, my favorite game happends to be jedi academy, its unbelievable in all aspects, from ninja wall climbing to golon blasting and force jumping across huge distances. I will continue to play this game online, finding the odd odd true server in FFA mode, such as huntingwabbits server which is tryning hard to get a following. The gunners I have played with say that the sniper rifle was seriously changed from a quick shoot mode to a slow firing mode, seriously ruining the once great weapon, as well as the pistol, which now has been made twice as hard to frag someone with. The slowness of missles and other weapons projectiles has let those gun ffa users all down, disbanding clans such as RISE, OBSIDIAN EMPIRE, IMAGE, ALT, AEROPLANAX, and countless others. Solutions? A patch that disallows server force changes? The sniper rilfle the same as in jedi outcast? The gun prjectile speeds turned back up? A dip in the pocket from the billionare lucasarts for some FFA servers to host true FFA? The NOOBS of the game are all expierencing saber only full force ...im sure thats not a GOOD thing. Long live jedi academy and may the next part include saber fighting done in the dynamics of enterthematrix multiplayer fighting.....now consider that.

First of all, oE Obsidian Empire is a truly great clan: truly great players who are not arrogant a**holes, unlike (sadly) many other "elite" players. I think everyone who has played with\against them respects them and enjoys playing with\against them.

But for better or worse, the market\customers\people\players\whatever have spoken and are "voting with their feet" by making saber-only and fast force regeneration servers popular. There are default regeneration FFA gun servers like HuntingWabbits and the oE server available, but that just isn't the game that most wannabe-Jedi want to play, and no one can force them to like what they don't like.

If Raven came out with a patch that removed g_weapondisable and g_forceregentime, mod authors like Slider would make a mod that made them available again, and that mod would be popular. It's too late, the cat is out of the bag.

Many of the regulars on my FFA server are now spending more time playing the UT2k4 demo than JA.

I think the changes in the weapons that you mentioned are quite possible. The Red Slushie mod has a lot of new weapon cvars.

I totally agree. I was sad with what Raven did with in terms of multiplayer. One, I really miss my kicking ability. With Duel and Double blades sabers, I think the kick from JO is an excellent counter to the people running around holding down attack (That's why I like playing with Xmod). Two, the weapons do seem slower. Everything from the Bryar to the Sniper Rifle. The Bryar in JO was great in that it did a good amount of damage. Actually everything in JO seemed to do more damage if I think back. The guns in JA just don't cut it for me really. I also miss the ole sniper where when you move it takes you out of zoom. And just the feel of shooting really. Being the old schooler that I am, I play with a single blade. The one gripe that I have is that when I hit people with the saber, it doesn't do much damage. I have had people survive two full hits straight down on them with the heavy stance. I just think that the saber hit system seems a bit random.

Now, I don't want people to feel like I'm whining so I'll list some of the things that I like what Raven did. The first is the strafe jumping. It is a lot smoother than in JO. But I do miss those wall floats. :( The second is the wall climbing. Though it is just like jumping, it does seem to add another dimension to the game.

So, if there is a way to get back that old JO feel to the weapons, that would be great. Maybe I'll stop playing the UT 2004 demo and head back to JA :D

Oh, and one more thing. I hear ya about the force regeneration thing. Now I thought it was bad in JO but it seems worse in JA for some reason. Even with absorb on it feels weird. I wish they kept absorb like they did with JO when you see absorb when someone is trying to use a force power on you. It makes you more aware of what is happening which I thought was a good thing.

Anyways, can you suggest which servers are running mods that resemble the good ole days?

Finally Im in the presence of fellow fraggn professionals. Greetings to you all, and sincere gratitute for your understanding. I've noticed a huge diference between the ut2004 forums and the forums for jedi academy. They have all aspects of the game listed as topics with hundreds of posts in each. We don't want ravensoft to make us a jedi ut2004, we just wanted the jedi outcast game to be exactly the same and better. I can appreaciate the huge density of modders and jedi followers alike who run their servers they way they like, its a mind blowing element to the game to have such variables. The cry again is for the gunners who were impacted with the great jedi outcast, which I would say alone is 10x ahead of what 2004 is. 2004 is point shoot, jedi is force, sabers, and now really cool ninja stuff. The sniper gun alone in jedi outcast is beyond any ut sniper rifle, and they are copycating the siege element of gameplay that jka has brought us. From playing the entire jedi series on pc sw has always brought us more then we could have expected. Have any of you ever tried enterthematrix ps2 multiplayer mode fighting? Im talking blocking and counters like real jackie chan stuff, its all pre scripted and shot on video then modified, its not arcade style up/down block or hold back but when blocking the action has sequenced the hand/arm and body positions which allows in turn the craziest move sequences/combos like what you would see as if real life. After watching the new sw galaxies saber movie its kinda like that.

TRUE TDM/FFA RULES

One of the great strengths of the Jedi Knight series is the fact that it has so many options for gameplay.

You can play with sabers only, sabers and force, force and guns, guns without force, or (my favorite) guns + sabers + force.

Not only that but you can play each of those in different game modes such as FFA, Team FFA, CTF, Siege, Duel, PowerDuel and "Jedi Vs Merc" FFA, even pseudo "coop play" with the Single Player maps and limited use of cheats. ; )

I'll do my part to remind people how much fun all the weapons and force powers can be when used together by supporting this style of play on my server.

While others may prefer the "purity" of sabers only, I enjoy the challenge and pure mayhem of using "everything in the game" in battle.

While there is a certain attraction in giving players infinite force so that they can "spam" moves and powers all the time, I prefer the challenge of being forced to micromanage Force mana and use it wisely (or, in team games to balance your team's mana wisely, using powers such as Drain and Team Regeneration).

The series would truly suffer if it were changed into a guns only game or a sabers only game. It just wouldn't be the same, and certainly the challenge and raw adrenaline of fighting with all of these nuances to combat would be lost.

I can see the practicality by many of "training" with a certain game discipline (sabers, guns, force powers) alone in order to hone that skill, then to bring it to the table of proper (sabers+guns+force) combat. But denying those other facets of the game entirely is just missing out on the potential challenge and fun to be had in the game.

I do find it distressing when servers will ban certain force powers or weapons in Siege gamemode.

This is rather foolish because the Siege gamemode is balanced on basis of weapons, pre-set force, etc. Arbitrarily removing access to powers or weapons or messing with the Force Regen time throws this balance off from what the developers intended.

While other game modes can have their attributes altered and not be adversely affected, Siege mode should be played with the default gameplay settings of all weapons, all force powers and normal Force Regeneration.

Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

First of all, oE Obsidian Empire is a truly great clan: truly great players who are not arrogant a**holes, unlike (sadly) many other "elite" players. I think everyone who has played with\against them respects them and enjoys playing with\against them.

But for better or worse, the market\customers\people\players\whatever have spoken and are "voting with their feet" by making saber-only and fast force regeneration servers popular. There are default regeneration FFA gun servers like HuntingWabbits and the oE server available, but that just isn't the game that most wannabe-Jedi want to play, and no one can force them to like what they don't like.

If Raven came out with a patch that removed g_weapondisable and g_forceregentime, mod authors like Slider would make a mod that made them available again, and that mod would be popular. It's too late, the cat is out of the bag.

Many of the regulars on my FFA server are now spending more time playing the UT2k4 demo than JA.

I think the changes in the weapons that you mentioned are quite possible. The Red Slushie mod has a lot of new weapon cvars.

I never had a problem with them; but, they do/did have their fair share of competitive cockblocks.

And, to be relevant, my advice is to uninstall every la game you have and start devoting your time to solitaire.

Archived