Home

KotOR and KotOR2 Savegame Editor (KSE) - Current Version: 3.3.3

tk102

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goran, Darth333 -

Thanks for your feedback. In regards to the cutscenes failings, I believe the scripts associated with some cutscene objects are faulting out for some reason. Hopefully I can trace down the root cause.

As for the gender changing -- is there a chance you may be working with a corrupted savegame or maybe have the editor open at the same time as swkotor.exe? Could you send an email to me detailing the problem as best you can recall -- see the readme.txt for email address.

Originally posted by tk102

Goran, Darth333 -

Thanks for your feedback. In regards to the cutscenes failings, I believe the scripts associated with some cutscene objects are faulting out for some reason. Hopefully I can trace down the root cause.

As for the gender changing -- is there a chance you may be working with a corrupted savegame or maybe have the editor open at the same time as swkotor.exe? Could you send an email to me detailing the problem as best you can recall -- see the readme.txt for email address.

Man these forums are running slow today.

Ok as for the cut scenes I was able to by pass them by using a difent gender mod.

As for the editor... I was playing a female char, and trying to use the Both gender option.

I am still uncertain as to why it was happening, but the new gender mod I am using seems to be wroking so far. I have only made to Dantooine so far.

But I am using the other features of your editor such as give feats, skills etc. and it's working fine.

I'll let you know if I need to change back to a soldier when I leave Dantooine.

I've investigating the problem of using KSE to change to a Jedi on the Endar Spire and getting stuck in the "vision" sequence after the crash landing on Taris.

Here's the sequence of scripts that I believe swkotor.exe goes through:

1. end_pod.utp (Escape pod placeable)

2. end_pod.dlg (dialog of "use the escape pod")

3. k_pend_pod01.ncs (loads the STUNT_00 module)

4. k_pend_pod02.ncs (end_pod.utp OnUsed) (hard to tell what this script does, fade in, fade out, initializations,etc)

5. k_pdialogue.ncs (invisible001.utp OnUsed) (script called by the CutStart object, invokes Jordo.utp and his conversation)

6. Jordo.utp (invisible man)

7. cut00_convers.dlg (Jordo's dialog to initialize the 'vision' sequence)

8. k_ren_visonland.nss (loads the Taris module)

9. tar_m02af.ifo (Taris module loaded)

10. k_pebn_hawk.ncs (invokes the vision initializes the apartement with Carth)

Somehow this chain is getting broken around step 5 because the invisible001.utp doesn't do anything visibly. Unfortunately most of these scripts are compiled and decompiled scripts are hard to read (even you do know assembly). In addition I can't follow how step 4 goes to step 5.

I'm looking for help here from anyone who might be able to figure this out. It doesn't make sense to me how being a Jedi can break this chain.

I am not sure either. But since there is a Padawan mod out there, you might want to take a look at that.

I don't see how changing your gender could break it either. There is a gender mod out there that doesn't break it, so you may want to look how that's done too.

The "other gender mod" simply alters the scripts.

By default, the scripts check the player's gender and return a value depending on which script is used.

The problem with that mod is that it works for some things, but not for others because some things in the game check "is the PC male" and others check "is the PC female" - there seems to be no actual standard for it.

The mod that's floating around out there simply makes the game always say "yes" - which seems to work for at least some of the romance stuff (haven't tested it all myself yet), but I know it also makes some other aspects of the game a bit odd (various NPCs will consider you the wrong gender etc).

TK's editor goes about things a little differently. It actually sets your gender to both - which believe it or not was a viable, included possible gender in the game files by default. There just wasn't a way to use or select it before.

As for why it might be breaking things.. I haven't actually looked into it, because as stated, a lot of that is in pre-compiled scripts anyway... but - I'm guessing there's a gender check for the PC before the conversation with Carth on Taris.

I've always played the game with female characters, but I get the impression he'd probably have a different demeanor towards me than the one he always has once I wake up. Perhaps having gender at both is giving some sort of error that the game doesn't know quite how to manage at that point.

Likewise, seems to me there's a dialogue option in that sequence where he asks about what you used to do. The game probably only has options at that point available for Scout, Scoundrel, and Soldier. Setting your first class to one of the 3 Jedi classes means you can't pick any of those anymore.. which again, is simply a condition the game has no idea how to check for.

Perhaps this is something that could be solved by finding and adding to the .tlk file (or is it a .dlg) for that module? I'd look into it myself, but I haven't even begun to dig into those dialogues yet and I know others have had a lot more experience and success with editing them already. (T7 or gameunlimited perhaps?)

-Kitty

Ok... been doing a little more investigation.

When you leave the Endar Spire (Click on "Use the escape pod"), first you get the movie that shows the pod launch and then crash land on Taris.

This plays no matter what.

Then what's supposed to happen is you get a series of cut-scene like deals in sort of a slideshow. It goes something like this:

1. Click on escape pod

2. select dialogue choice (assumption is you choose to use pod here)

3. see pod cutscene

3a. (the error happens here if gender is not male or female - or if class is other than the starting 3)

4. see a "restless sleep" cutscene - this is the same one you see right before you see any of the visions.

5. see the first "Bastila vs. Revan" cutscene

6. see the "you waking up" cutscene - starts similar to 4 above, but then you stand up and look around.

7. Carth Initiates Dialogue with you - as far as I can tell, this dialoogue has no options or branches that seem to change based on class or on gender.

Now then.. as I said, the problem seems to be between 3 and 4 no matter which is altered (gender or class). I believe the reason is because the game plays a slightly different animation for males and females. Presumably, this might also be altered based on class. The differences are pretty minor, so that's hard to tell, but if you make a quicksave right at the pod, then go through the sequence once as female and once as male, you can see some slight changes.

The eyes are, for lack of a better way to put it, closed tighter for the male, and the actual positioning and angle of the head are slightly different. If you actually use a female model but alter gender to male, your head clips into the pillow too much.

Soooo.. obviously there's a script firing after the escape pod cutscene that's checking for a gender, but gets confused if it doesn't get a result that tests positive for either male or female.

Presumably, since the error happens in the same location, that script (or another called from the same place) also checks for class, but since it's at such an early point in the game, it doesn't understand what to do if it finds anything other than Scout, Scoundrel, or Soldier.

I haven't dug down into the module files yet, but I wanted to at least get these results out there so they can help as you try to nail this down.

-Kitty

I'd like to be able to help you more but I'm just a beginner. So the only thing I can do for now is to give you some additional feedback.

However, you may want to take a look at the Darth Revan mod

here

which turns the PC into a Jedi on the Endar Spire. I've been using this mod during a few games and never ran into any problem.

Things that work fine with your editor:

-I changed the skills, name , attributes and feats of my PC with your editor while using the Darth Revan Mod and everything was ok.

It seems that the problem only arises when making a class and gender change.

If I remember that mod correctly, it makes you a Jedi, but you're still multi-classed aren't you?

As in, you still have a class of soldier, scout, or scoundrel, albeit at only level 1?

If that's the case, then no. It wouldn't be affected at all by this problem.

-Kitty

Originally posted by Darth333

It seems that the problem only arises when making a class and gender change.

nope , also happens if you just change one of these things

also i found it creates problems if you play around with Trasks model , the game hates it if he isnt his "Unique_Trask" model , but its funny to see him as a sith appretance (same as the "its a dark jedi! this fight is to much for us!" guy you see fighting)

Well without using any mods that affect your class at this point in the game, it's (as far as I can tell) impossible to ADD a class with the savegame editor.

You can change the one you already have, but since there's only one class actually listed, I don't see any way to add or change your second class (the one you'd normally gain on Dantooine).

Soo.. makes it hard for me to test anything on that line. =/

My GUESS would be, if you DO use the Revan mod, and thus gain a second class on the Endar Spire, and THEN used the save editor, you'd be ok so long as you didn't try to change your STARTING class to anything other than scout, scoundrel, or soldier.

But as I don't use the Revan mod, I haven't specifically tested that. But then again, if you're already going to use the Revan mod anyway, why would you want to bother changing your class with the save editor? :)

-Kitty

Originally posted by Kitty Kitty

But as I don't use the Revan mod, I haven't specifically tested that. But then again, if you're already going to use the Revan mod anyway, why would you want to bother changing your class with the save editor? :)

-Kitty

Using the Darth Revan mod is an alternate solution I found. But for the benefit of others who are using the KSE only, it could be a problem. Furthermore, the KSE is a very interesting tool with more flexibility than the Darth Revan mod and you can customize your entire party whenever you want.

As for the class change problem, I will verify. I used the editor more than once (not only on the Endar Spire) and I remember trying to change class on Tatoine when the problem first occured. I would have been multi-class at that time. But as I mentionned, I don't want to mislead anyone and I will verify. It could well be something else because I was trying other stuff as well at that time.

Ok, i got home so no more speculation: i found that old saved game on Tatoine. It appears that the class change i made was a weird one: consular and guardian (hey i just wanted the additional force powers that a consular gets during the game).

I tried to make a class change from soldier/guardian to scoundrel/consular and everything went for the best.

Sorry for my rambling...

No worries. Any feedback is good feedback when trying to track something like this down. ;)

At least it would seem that the problems are definitely confined to:

1. Gender other than specifically male or female.

2. 1st class other than scout, soldier, or scoundrel.

Makes it easier to fix the more we know about just what exactly is broken. ;)

-Kitty

OK I found that using the Both gender Mod running around, and playing a female will give you All the romances. . Carth Bastila, and Juhani.

I also did not change the class.

I waited till I could become a jedi, before leveling my Main char.

Once I got to dantooine, I ubered everyone with feats and skills, and powers, and etc. I did not play with XP.

So far so good, one starmap to go and No breakage there.

OK so we have figured out that making you're self a Jedi before it's time, and the gender option will break the game.

Well now we know.... And knowing is half the battle.

Hold up a sec Goran,

We weren't saying that the romance mod broke anything.

The problem is if you use KSE to hack your save game and actually set yourself to be both genders - which while similar, is NOT what the romance mod does - breaks the game.

Well, it doesn't "break" it, but it causes a problem in some places.. the first of which being between the Endar Spire and Taris.

It will also happen if you use the editor to make your ORIGINAL class anything but the 3 you can choose at character creation.

I know the problem is in a check in a script someplace.. the trouble is figuring out a way around it, since most of them aren't available as source - just compiled versions. =/

-Kitty

v1.3.0 released

• Added ability to add/remove classes to PC and NPCs (see readme)
  • Added Min1HP flag for immortality for PC and NPCs
  • Expanded sex changing to NPCs
  • Added mousewheel support for XP

Actually I could some feedback regarding the last one, cuz I have Win2K.

Barring any obvious bugs, this will probably be the last version for awhile.

Haven't tested the rest yet, but as far as I can tell, wheel support doesn't seem to be working.

Win XP with a Logitech Dual optical wheelman mouse.

*edit*

Incidentally, I also have a Logitech keyboard (forget which model) which has an additional wheel on the side which allows me to simulate a mouse wheel for like web browsers and whatnot. It doesn't seem to work either.

*/edit*

Just figured I'd let ya know :)

-Kitty

Originally posted by Kitty Kitty

*edit*

Incidentally, I also have a Logitech keyboard (forget which model) which has an additional wheel on the side which allows me to simulate a mouse wheel for like web browsers and whatnot. It doesn't seem to work either.

*/edit*-Kitty

heh. I think we have the same Keyboard Kitty. I have a Logitech Elite keyboard(black matches the rest of my system) and a Microsoft optical mouse blue. The wheel function does not work for either one.

But the main reason im posting is That I fragged two saves( not a big deal they were back ups of other saves)this happend when I added jedi guardian class lvl1 to canderous( I didn't give him any jedi feats or powers) When the Save load it hung on load the a windows send don't send error popped up. The second time I tried to make Jolee a jedi Guardian and the same thing happend.

by the way does kse still output an error log. and if so where is it :confused:

One last note your bring out each new version so fast I can't keep up :) I haven't tried half of the added features from the last couple versions. :fett:

TK try that Canderous save again but give him one force power , any one you want , it shouldnt crash i had the same problem when i changed trask to a jedi and didnt give him force powers

game doesnt seem to like you being a jedi without having some powers ~shrugs~

Hmm. You talking to me Jackel.

maybe. The thing is I gave Jolee guardian class and he had lots of force powers and he was only lvl 17. I'll try it again and report back.

EDIT: :rolleyes: OK I fragged 2 more saves one that I now wish I had Backed up and the other was a quick save.

So what I did was load an clean save game(no mods at all) and then I quicksaved it to try out kse on. Well I gave candorous jedi guardian class and attempted to add force powers, but they would not add so I wanted to if I could change his soldier class to guardian and add force powers there, but i deleted the soldier class.So i thought If I just close the program and reload it the save would be back to normal as I didn't even save it although I did apply the changes.

When kse reloaded the quick would not open, and so I thought I ould just do the same thing again but for some reason the save That I did NOT edit was Fragged. and even stranger the quike save would load but my crew was gone.

So I quite the game and was about to post this when a thought struck me(i won't bother with details) I tried to load the quick save and my entire system froze :rolleyes: I had to hit reset :rolleyes: I shouldn't have been surprized about that.

Anyway to sum up some when I closed kse in the middle of editing a quicksaveI killed that save plus the save that it was saved from. :(

but the other thing also is that when I gave candorous Jedi guardian Class i could not add force powers. I didn't try anyone else but that didn't work.

ok enough of my rambling. :) there is my report of an unsuccessful edit. Did I do something wrong :confused::cool:

T7- I'm sorry it's caused so many of your savegames to get corrupted! :(

Okay, so I'm reading that there's a problem giving NPCs a Jedi class. I'll start with that one.

When you add a Jedi class, you immediately see a Force Powers leaf appear underneath it. You should be able to click it and see selectable force powers on the right.

The KSE.log will be written to only if it exists. So you have to create it.

I could see the force powers, but they would not highlight so I couldn't pick em. It worked ok when i just changed the npc's first class to a jedi one. multiclass didn't work though. I did only try candorous and Jolee.

Don't worry about the saves getting corrupted. :rolleyes: I should have backed them up. it's ok any I still have atleat 6 clean saves and about another dozen others.

that was the only new feature I tried, After that happend I thought It best to not push my luck any futher. :)

Archived