Home

**OFFICIAL**: SIEGE Star Destroyer is OUT!!!

Andy867

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think of this as the "Lite" version of Destroyer.

Once Asteroids is finished and released there should be some major "improvements" & tweaks available. ; )

But for now, feel free to join my server (see IP info my sig).

I can't promise it will be lag free (it wasn't last night) but it can still be fun if you can't get in anywhere else!

Originally posted by tFighterPilot

The options are only limited by the fact that no server will have them :(

There are several servers hosting the Seige Destroyer level, and that's with me only using the in-game browser. I'm sure there's even more. I had no problem finding a good game last night, and that was less than 24 hours after the release.

Originally posted by Manquesa

There are several servers hosting the Seige Destroyer level, and that's with me only using the in-game browser. I'm sure there's even more. I had no problem finding a good game last night, and that was less than 24 hours after the release.

I also found several good servers, but right now I find none that I can use (locked or high ping)

I played just now - with pings of around 300. It was fun - I guess it seemed more like BF1942 than JA. One thing was that I kept falling through the red force-field thingy in the Destroyer.

And is there a way to enable it so that you can easily use a joystick to fly?

Wow, this new map came as a real surprise for me! Yesterday I was using TASE to search for some good FFA server when a pop-up appeared telling me that a new update was available for JA. I followed the link in the pop--up and...wow! :D

By the way, I immediately downloaded the map and managed to join a server using it. My first impressions are:

- flight controls are good and the fighters are well balanced.

- I appreciated the fact that instead of using teleport for the edges they added an automated return manouver which makes you very vulnerable and discourage people from just run away during dogfights. What I hated in KFS was people with damaged fighters flying away toward the nearest teleport area...grr.

- It seems to me that lasers and warheads have unlimited range, this allow Rebel team to atatck the ISD from distance giving them a slightly advanatge IMHO.

- Somehow dogfights are heavily affected by high ping. I'm a XvT/XWA veteran so I know how to lead the fire and how to deal with lat but yesterday it was very hard for me to hit people even with a 150 lat (on the Zone I won matches even with 250-300 pings)

Well if you think about it, why WOULDNT the blasters and warheads have unlimited range. I mean, space is VOID, so there is nothing to slow down or stop itm until it hits an object. Like the Law of Inertia says, an object in motion will stay in motion until an outside force acts upon it (and then it goes on about other things)... But in reality, it makes sense, least to me.

Don't rush to play it, unless you're a fool chances are you'll be highly disappointed, there is no real goals to this map, you can shoot anything at any time with the only protected thing being the tractor beam generator, the rest you take down at will.

9/10 for visual effects

1/10 for gameplay, it's worse than kotor. I prefer a large selection of ships to 2 ships per team with no goals but to shoot anything that's red.

The bugs in JA 1.0 were a letdown, the patch was so minor many took it as a letdown and now Siege Destroyer is, to me, a letdown.

The only reason I can see for it doing so well is it's an "official" release. Aside from that tell me...what does this map have going for it that we don't have in homemade maps already? Make a few of the asteroids targets in KOTOR Flight School et voila, you have this map.

just wait for Asteroids and its releasing. It'll be more than what people bargained for:)

Plus the reason why people like it is not because its an official release, because technically it isnt since neither Raven Software, LucasArts or Activision support it. They like it because its Siege and Space-based. Besides, who said it would be the only one of its kind to come out ever:) ;)

No one did, and Siege Destroyer is being marked as a Raven release, I know it's not, but the fact is people believe it is because it is from some of the workers at Raven, technically speaking it is from Ravensoft even if it's not official.

Nor are we talking about asteroids here, my point is this map is getting irritatingly over-rated. I mean it isn't even a major work load to do! It's a flight map, we have those, it's a siege map, we have those, the only thing we don't have so far is a siege space map and lets face it Raven hardly made it easy for us from the start, only releasing tid-bits of information. I had to personally request a hyperspace tutorial before Raven actually released how to do it.

I find it offensive to mappers out there who make far superior maps to be bashed and then this map gets loved by almost everyone when if anyone of us had released it would have got far less exposure and far less excellent reviews.

Asteroids I've heard will be great, I played an early beta and it was...asteroids, but that was early so I can't pass judgement. However based on the hype to actual gameplay value of this map...I wait to be amazed and hope I don't get disappointed like I did this time otherwise I've found community number 2 to go the route of failure.

Actually, Seige Destroyer is 100% Raven made. It's a level made by Raven that was intended to be releaed with the game but was left out either because it wasn't ready or they didn't feel it was "Academy" enough. Either way, this is Raven's work. The only reason they have that unsupported tag is because it was released after the game.

The majority of the people i've seen saying bad things about this map are people who don't like space combat in JA in general. I'm fully aware there are many people out there that think JA should juswt stick to FPS and that's it. All I can say to that is, if you don't like space combat in JA, don't play it.

And to bash it because it's not full of awe inspiring geometry and architecture, boo hoo. Professional game dev's although they do like eye candy as much as the next person, they know that GAMEPLAY is even more important, and this is a FUN level to play. Sure it could use some improvements, but i'm sure everyone can think of things in every game level they've ever played that could use improving.

my .002

Nice map. It is cool, but, EVERYTHING lokks like Asteroids TFFA!!!! The hangars, the Hyperspace, AND the Z-95 is better than the X-wing!?!?! WHY????

Also, there is a Battle of Endor Siege map being created. I'm beta testing for it. It has ground and space combat, and it is one Siege map, not two!! The funniest thing is, I'm only 14!!!! A Battle of Hoth Siege map was being made, but, it is now discontinued :(

Here is a link to the forum of the Battle of Hoth Siege map: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=109475&perpage=40&pagenumber=2

Anyway, G2G!!:fett:

The bugs in JA 1.0 were a letdown, the patch was so minor many took it as a letdown and now Siege Destroyer is, to me, a letdown.

Whoa Wade agrees with me now, (maybe?), you may remember me as Naso from the Raven forums, until banned, and in-game.

This does have lead indicators though, which are a huge improvement over say flightschool.

Originally posted by WadeV1589

I find it offensive to mappers out there who make far superior maps to be bashed and then this map gets loved by almost everyone when if anyone of us had released it would have got far less exposure and far less excellent reviews.

Anything made by Raven guys deserves a lot of attention in my view, official or not. This map is so different from any out there (first vehicular siege map etc) you can't really compare it anyway - architecture isn't really an issue except on the SD and gameplay is totally different to a sabers only FFA...

As for what people do and don't like, what maps do and don't get exposure, its rarely fair and its certainly a mystery. Ladder was created by a guy playing around with a few bits of scripting and using a pre-built duel level, and its been downloaded by hundreds of thousands of people, whereas some complex SP levels that took over a year to build got a few thousand. Life ain't fair, but I don't think its offensive, you seem to be taking it a bit personally.

And complaining about the support Raven gave for Siege, Space Combat etc seems pretty unfair, there are tutorials from them plastered all over forums, and they've included tutorials to coincide with this release....

"You have to wonder whether he's actually played the map."

I've played it, hosted a server that ran it and beaten it on both teams.

As for gameplay, you honestly say this is great gameplay? Flying around to destroy anything you want in any order? It's kotor with targets! This could have been a great thing from Raven mixing walking with flying, making it a true objective based game, instead it's a FFA with targets, this could be re-released as an FFA and work perfectly because of the lack of actual linearity.

As for space in JA, I love it, I've played KOTOR for hours on end and flown around in deathgliders for hours, I absolutely love flying in JA.

As for flight indicators...they were left out of the PK3 by Raven, a mistake on their part costing other modders - I found that out though and included it in my map so anyone who got my map would have it.

"And complaining about the support Raven gave for Siege, Space Combat etc seems pretty unfair"

Plastered all over forums...hmm...you mean those places we have to hunt down and find them or ask for what we need? Like I said I had to actually ask for a hyperspace tutorial before one was posted. They release the first siege space map and then alongside it the tutorials which we should have had with the SDK; instead they've done what a lot of people do, hold fame back for themselves, ensuring they get the first vehicle siege map out...and then they make it pure vehicles.

I can see a lot of you won't budge on this being a great map...but none of you can come up with why either, you say it's the first vehicle siege...ask yourself why it is. Aside from that, I see no fun in it after the first couple of times, it's more repetative than anything yet.

It sounds to me, after reading your post, that Siege Star Destroyer does have an objective as opposed to KOTOR. And how can you say that you love KOTOR which has no point, and can fly around in it for hours, but then criticize and be all bitter against an objective-based space map that has more linearity than KOTOR, and the maker of KOTOR agrees.

You say you love space in JA, and love the flying, and that you have played KOTOR for hours on end, but then you say that Star Destroyer is KOTOR with targets.. To me, theoretically, that would make me love Destroyer even more since it would give the space combat more meaning.

originally posted by Uber_Saber

You have to wonder whether he's actually played the map.

Ummmm...he helped MAKE the map, so I think he knows what he's talking about.

Seriously though, how can this be a one? The Star Destroyer model and automated turrets alone would make it at least a three in my opinion. To add on that, though, they implemented a simple yet effective ship configuration and let their FPS gamers get the chance to participate in seat-of-the-pants space action that's not nearly as confusing as some flight simulators are.

Raven didn't have to make this map for us; they did so because they volunteered to do so. It's not often that a computer game company actively participates in its modding community. It shows that the folks at Ravensoft care about what their gamers want.

If you don't like it, that's fine with me. There's always at least someone who won't care for something, that's simply a fact of life. But you have to take the effort into account. Raven worked hard and they made many of us (including me) pleasantly suprised. That should be worth something.

I don't really know the mapping end of this and such, but my basic point is that the release of an essentially non-functional product and the total lack of support for a long time means they are no longer trustworthy. If a star destroyer that has little things on it to blow up makes you think some future product they put out might work, I have a nice bridge to sell you. I had thought they were trying with added content they were trying to make up for things, but it just really doesn't measure up or seem that way.

Originally posted by SpaceButler13

I don't really know the mapping end of this and such, but my basic point is that the release of an essentially non-functional product and the total lack of support for a long time means they are no longer trustworthy. If a star destroyer that has little things on it to blow up makes you think some future product they put out might work, I have a nice bridge to sell you. I had thought they were trying with added content they were trying to make up for things, but it just really doesn't measure up or seem that way.

uhmmm... the map works so I don't know what you mean by non functional. I think this map is excellently done by the way.. And who are you to insult them? they did this even though they didn't have to. It was scrapped from the game but they finished it anyways. So... please, be quiet. ;)

Archived