Home

**OFFICIAL**: SIEGE Star Destroyer is OUT!!!

Andy867

non-functional? It ran flawlessly on my computer. In fact, I didnt even have to worry about the dynamicglow or any of that, plus I used the All-Seeing Eye and never used the in-game browsers anyways, so that didnt affect me in any way. And I dont know what bugs you guys ran into, but my game was just fine. The patch simply fixed stuff that I had no problems in the first place, or never used. Oh, and did you know the patch was out sooner than expected? Even though people bitched about needing one since Day1, which is very pathetic of the community. 99% of the community cant even make a model, more less an entire game, so be happy that they even made JA for us. And then they have shown support to those who have sought it, like the big modder groups and such. Like ChangKhan has been a tremendous help for Manquesa in fine tweaking his vehicles, and I know the AOTC:TC and other groups have been in constant contact with Raven staff for support. So I dont see this lack of support fiasco that you are referring. And plus they even gave us a christmas present of 6 maps, which is more than what anyone expected. No one really even knew about the Bonus Mappack, (cept me and maybe a handful of other people close to raven). And for support, they also provided that Siege Vehicle Tutorial (which obviously you didnt download and check out) or you wouldnt be complaining about the support. So in reality, Raven has really been there when needed and they have done a lot more, people are just too blinded to see it.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by SpaceButler13

I meant the non-fucntional game out of the box for what was it, 3 months?

The patch came out on Nov. 10 so it was less than two months.

The single-player game was fully functional from day one. Multi-player was functional except for the ingame server browser. People using the All Seeing Eye and Qtracker (granted, a minority of all players) were playing multiplayer from day one.

Originally posted by WadeV1589

Plastered all over forums...hmm...you mean those places we have to hunt down and find them or ask for what we need? Like I said I had to actually ask for a hyperspace tutorial before one was posted. They release the first siege space map and then alongside it the tutorials which we should have had with the SDK; instead they've done what a lot of people do, hold fame back for themselves, ensuring they get the first vehicle siege map out...and then they make it pure vehicles.

I can see a lot of you won't budge on this being a great map...but none of you can come up with why either, you say it's the first vehicle siege...ask yourself why it is. Aside from that, I see no fun in it after the first couple of times, it's more repetative than anything yet.

Like here for instance? Hardly obscure...

http://www.map-center.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=25

Raven (the editor as opposed to the company) took the time to bung up a bunch of tutorials here, along with those that came with the SDK.

You can't quantify whether its great or not really, that subjective - if you enjoy the Rogue Squadron esque combat (Its no X-Wing granted, but that was a far more complex game) then you'll probabaly enjoy it. One thing it offers over KOTOR is a sense of purpose, methinks. I think its impressive they managed to code in a flight type game (infinitely better than the unbearably terrible Battle for Naboo....why LEC, why???) in what is basically an FPS.

As for terribly flawed out of the box, I don't buy that. Sure, the lack of a working ingame browser was a bad ommision, but that was the only thing that didn't work, and it has to be said most ingame server browsers really suck anyway, hence the proliferation of other ones, QTracker being my fave. It worked fine other than that, you guys should try Championship Manager 4 out of the box, that actually didn't work hardly at all without the patch they released on the day it came out....

:eek:

ike here for instance? Hardly obscure...

http://www.map-center.com/modules.p...=viewforum&f=25

Find it on the Raven website or Lucas website then I'll agree with you, finding it in forums posted unofficially by a Raven employee is obscure. You'll also note I am a member of those forums and if you search I think you'll find the time I asked for a tutorial on hyperspace.

Oh and Raven have their own official forums of which there hasn't been many posts by the Raven guys. So it really is obscure as you'd have to know what you're looking for to find it on Google...and going with the amount of posts on here when people can't even search in these forums that's a lot of people lost!

Load it up as a Siege map (if you just want to check it out) and simply spawn in a bot on the opposite team.

Note that bots won't do anything useful, although on the Imp team they will sometimes get into a TIE and then crash it in short order (doh!).

\rcon addbot rebel <skill 1-5> <teamcolor: red or blue>

And no need to get upset. Bottom line: it's out NOW and it's cool, so give it a try.

No need to bash JA either because remember that Siege Destroyer was never marketed as a feature of the game (the only place you heard about it was that spanish preview that was talking about a cancelled feature, which Raven told us to remove since they didn't want to get people's hopes up about a cancelled feature).

So it's just coolness that they finally got it polished up (and let us test it) and released. It won't be the last thing that was unfinished and only hinted at in the retail release that gets hammered out later.

Personally I think they did a great job with JA. Though I'm sure we all wonder had, LA given them another year to polish and refine the game, who knows what would have happened?

Of course by then the whines of "the Q3 engine is so dated!" would be even louder than they were already!

Originally posted by WadeV1589

Find it on the Raven website or Lucas website then I'll agree with you, finding it in forums posted unofficially by a Raven employee is obscure. You'll also note I am a member of those forums and if you search I think you'll find the time I asked for a tutorial on hyperspace.

Oh and Raven have their own official forums of which there hasn't been many posts by the Raven guys. So it really is obscure as you'd have to know what you're looking for to find it on Google...and going with the amount of posts on here when people can't even search in these forums that's a lot of people lost!

Show me one company who has more support for their games.

Originally posted by tFighterPilot

That's also subjective, I like Battle for naboo!

Sure its subjective, any opinion is. Seriously, how can you like that game? :) I mean...its.....impossible to play...looks terrible....I actually got it packaged free with JO.

I guess Wade, but if there are a tonne of tutorials from a Raven employee on a forums you are a member of, well, that seems OK to me? I've seen so many companies far less supportive of the editing communities, for example Westwood (officially at least)dissaproved of any editing of their games, until they became EA Standard Games Unit 5 of 8 or whatever they are now.

Anyway, debate on the point of how good it is seems pretty pointless, you either love it or you hate it, it seems - like marmite, which I hate incidentally.

On an unrelated note, has anyone noticed how annoying it is when some TK-ing idiot decided to have a huge laugh by becoming Jedi class and jumping on top of your X-wing/Z-95? It completely prevents takeoff. Friggin' annoying. :mad:

Originally posted by Cataphract_40

On an unrelated note, has anyone noticed how annoying it is when some TK-ing idiot decided to have a huge laugh by becoming Jedi class and jumping on top of your X-wing/Z-95? It completely prevents takeoff. Friggin' annoying. :mad:

ROFL!

Another idiot on a friendly-fire server just camped in the Star Destroyer hanger with a Disruptor Rifle and killed all the players as they spawned.

Yeah I was on a server where this person or whatever decided it would be funny to fly ships into everyone. The team I was on couldn't even come close to completeling any objective because of this kid....

On the subject of Jedis jumping the aircrafts, someone jumped on me right as I was lifting up to take off and I sorta killed....Sorry who ever that was....

You do not know how happy I am to hear that Andy....

This maybe a tip for those that don't feel comfortable flying just yet(hope that you guys don't mind). I was playing against someone tonight and he was telling me wasn't too good flying yet. I go to thinking and told him to go and find Battle for Endor. I know it was posted a long time ago somewhere in the forums here. For me, I actually got a lot of practice in that game and helped me out here somewhat. If I can find the website, I'll try to post it again. Check it out and I hope it helps....

Archived