Home

KOTOR vs. JA

rick ulo 11103

i beat JA for the third time today and anyone whos played KOTOR knows that

i dont know how to make a spoiler tag so scroll to see

theres an awesome battle in space in the end of it and in JA there just a small crappy one

your thoughts?

Originally posted by Darth Exar Kun

JA is no comparison to KOTOR.

Yea they are two different games, why would you really wanna compare them. Yea of course KOTOR has alot of great stuff in it, but still you cant compare them because their different game formats. KOTOR's a RPG and JA is a first person shooter. So theres nothing really to compare...just storylines basically.

I compare KotOR and JA regularly, as they are my #1 and #2 all-time favorite games, respectively.

KotOR is set at a time of epic galactic expansion, where the *current* fate of the galaxy is hanging in the balance (as witnessed by the ending(s)).

JA is set in a time of galactic chaos, post-destruction rebuilding and reorganization. Things are happening on a much smaller scale. The struggles have to do with the *future* fate of the galaxy.

Besides which there is the whole FPS vs. RPG thing.

Two really great games - can't they just get along?

Mike

KOTOR is a better game because, for one, it was the first star wars RPG so it was new, original and exciting, just like when dark forces or JK1 was first released, you didn't really know what to expect when you first played it.

JA was good and i liked it alot, but we knew what we were getting. nothing really new about it... it was just JO with a few extra features and thats fine by me, as i said i liked it alot, but when compared to KOTOR it will lose.

of course you shouldn't really compare them because they are two different games... but we do because they are both star wars games.

KOTOR certainly has greater depth and whatnot - BUT!!! Astrotoy7, if you come on here, listen to this one, eh? Raven was under a check of a lot tighter of a deadline with JA than Bioware was with KOTOR. That limited them immensely. IMMENSELY. From all we've seen of Raven (the bonus maps and everything else they didn't have to do) they would have done a lot better; it was LA.

Originally posted by Darth Exar Kun

and JA has very little storyline or character development where as DF, JK and KOTOR gave you a connection with your characters.

Well, KotOR is a RPG, which *means* extensive character development.

Dark Forces has *NO* character development (which doesn't stop it from being in my top 5 all-time games)

And I honestly believe that JA offers as much or more character development than JK.

Mike

Originally posted by Master_Keralys

KOTOR certainly has greater depth and whatnot - BUT!!! Astrotoy7, if you come on here, listen to this one, eh? Raven was under a check of a lot tighter of a deadline with JA than Bioware was with KOTOR. That limited them immensely. IMMENSELY. From all we've seen of Raven (the bonus maps and everything else they didn't have to do) they would have done a lot better; it was LA.

yes, that wouldnt be too surprising. However, even a game like Elite Force 2 has a greater depth to it because of the storyline element....walking around at starfleet academy, the enterprise E was cool...

MTFBWYA

Don't even think about comparing the two. KOTOR is more than 1 billion times better than JA. Lucasarts should have let Raven spend longer on JA, I didn't care about waiting 5 years for KOTOR...look at the game we got at the end.

I'm sure if we had waited 5 years for JA, it might have had a chance against KOTOR. But in its current state, it dosen't stand the slightest chance.

ah the good ol kotor vs ja.. bear in mind that

• JA is both SP and MP, they didnt focus as much on SP as kotor
  • rpg<->fps 2 totally different sp gaming styles, imagine kotor beeing fps, they would have to focus on a lot more dif stuff, would there be the same high gfx or would they have to trade a bit for jumps etc?
  • yes ja sp was a dissapointement, but was mp?

well yes I enjoyed 4-discs KOTOR a hell lot more than JA, but that doesnt make me feel bad about JA

Originally posted by txa1265

Well, KotOR is a RPG, which *means* extensive character development.

Dark Forces has *NO* character development (which doesn't stop it from being in my top 5 all-time games)

And I honestly believe that JA offers as much or more character development than JK.

Mike

i understand that KOTOR is supposed to have more. But i thought JA seemed like the storyline was just a quick fix. I mean every chocie was the same you are the same exect person choice you choose you end up the same a rodian and keldor should not sound like a human

Originally posted by Alegis Gensan

• yes ja sp was a dissapointement, but was mp?

Was it? It may have been for you - but you state it like a *fact*. I whole-heartedly disagree. JA was my #1 FPS for 2003, and my #2 game of 2003 behind KotOR.

(yes, I like JA SP better than Halo, CoD or DX:IW ... much better)

Mike

Archived