Home

Missing Maniac Mansion demo found

Benny

I've just been sent the missing Maniac Mansion demo that no-one could get hold of. It was on the IBM Zak disks.

Here it is, have fun and stuff.

I dont know how well it'll work in scummvm because, well because no-one has had it before to make it work. It might work with the Zak or Maniac Mansion targets, I havent had chance to check.

Originally posted by Udvarnoky

Unbelievably awesome!

It doesn't work on SCUMMVM yet, but this is certainly a great find.

It does work now :)

Basically this contains identical LFL files to the full game (except they're called MAN files in the demo). The interpreter is hard wired to run script 9 on startup instead of the boot script.

With the full version of maniac you can run the demo with an option to the interpreter to start the demo, in ScummVM this is --demo-mode (Note this only works with v1 maniac).

So basically grab a daily build and use the maniac target.

Originally posted by Laserschwert

Wow, that's quite a cool demo... were there any other LucasArts-demos in that style? I mean like this "tour guide"-thing?

I thought the tour guide was in the same vein as a section of the MM hint book, where a walkthrough of the game is in the form of Dave's narration and is titled "A Tour of Maniac Mansion".

*shrug* Just a thought. I've never seen any other "tour" demos.

I've known about this thingy for some time. You can also view it with MM v1, type "maniac demo" (without quotes) at the DOS prompt instead of just "maniac" when running the game.

Had I known it was 'lost' I would have sent it to someone who could make use of it.

That new demo from MM doesn't work... at least there are no sprites. No meteor at the beginning, but the sound can be heard, and the lights at Edison Mansion get lit... narration starts, but Dave isn't visible... the camera pans, and the door opens, but no people whatsoever.

Originally posted by Laserschwert

That new demo from MM doesn't work... at least there are no sprites. No meteor at the beginning, but the sound can be heard, and the lights at Edison Mansion get lit... narration starts, but Dave isn't visible... the camera pans, and the door opens, but no people whatsoever.

Don't use SCUMMVM. If you can't play the game at all on your comp without it, then I guess you have to wait until it's properly supported.

Originally posted by Udvarnoky

Don't use SCUMMVM. If you can't play the game at all on your comp without it, then I guess you have to wait until it's properly supported.

Enhanced Demo Supported now. :p

Remember to use --demo-mode

• 4 months later...

Archived