Home

"The Future of Espionage in '04"

Link Antilles

Anyways, this thread isn't about the past... but of the.... *looks around* FURTURE! Heh, so anyways, which of the following upcoming (hopefully soon) titles will be the definer of the covert game genre in '04? your favorite? or the loser of the five?

Let' s start off with one on the most anticpatted....

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

mgs_thumb002.jpg

The graphics look excellent, especially for a PS2 title. For a jungle environment, Konami seems to be doing a good job in keeping the variety up in game play and what you can do, like the previous games. At least this is… what I observed from the trailers. Yet, my compliant is... the story seems to be or is absent.... I like the Metal Gear games, because the fact it feels like your in a movie. And the eat to survive thing? I like the variety, but I think it's kinda odd. Though, I know it's gonna be a great game and you play as Snake or Big Boss or someone who looks like Snake and not Raiden. Sadly, for me... I'm gonna have to steal a PS2 for a weekend, when it comes out. There is the possibility for it coming to the X-box or PC... I hope. I’m not gonna get my hopes up though….

Star Craft: Ghost

562237_20030826_thumb006.jpg

First of all, this game is gonna be great! Why? Because, Blizzards is making it and it's Star Craft! Those two reasons are good enough for me. O'yeah, you get to play as my personal favorite unit in Star Craft, the Ghost. The graphic look stylish and artistic like most of Blizzard games. Hopefully, it will be released this year and it's for all the systems

Tom Clancy's Pandora Tomorrow

915074_20030918_thumb004.jpg

Like Splinter the lightning engine is stunning. The game promises new moves. Though, my complaint in the original game was that the hand-to-hand combat was pathetic. From looks of the trailer, it’s still the same. This is only a minor rant though. The most interesting aspect is the multi-player. Co-op online sounds pretty spiffy to me.

Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes

589712_20040109_thumb008.jpg

Of all the games... I'm looking forward to this one the most and it’s right around the corner. This may not be anything new, but just an awesome game. The graphics may not be the best and are a little dated out in the impressiveness area, but it still looks sleek and stylish. The over-the-top cinematics add to the style. So, I don't care what anyone says this game is going to be awesome! And yet again.... No Raiden! O'yeah, I heard they add ed some more tricks to Psycho Mantis. So….. March 9!!!! w00t!

007: Golden Eye 2

Just announced or at least confirmed today. EA has decided to make a sequel to my old favorite... Golden Eye. Personally, I believe this game is gonna fall flat on it's face. O'well we'll see....

Top three I’m looking forward to playing:

1. Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes

2. Star Craft: Ghost

3. Pandora Tomorrow

Aight, your turn..... discuss!

MSG3: I think it looks very dumb, I can't believe they're making it. Hideo Kojima said he'd be done with the series after MGS2, what an ass. The whole premise sounds stupid to me...

Starcraft Ghost: Can you say franchise exploitation? Everybody was (and still is) expecting a Stacraft 2, and we get this instead. WTF? A third person action game on consoles? Geh. I might get flamed for this, but I really believe Blizzard is past its prime now...

Pandora's Tomorrow: Well this one looks interesting to say the least. The first game was great, even though I personally could never get into it (too hard). The multiplayer portion looks especially fun.

MGS: Twin Snakes: Although the original game is great, I'm puzzled as to why they are remaking it already. It's not that old! I could think of a dozen other Konami games that would need a good remake, other than this one. I guess they're trying to milk the name as much as possible...

Goldeneye 2: Electronic Arts is the devil. That is all.

MSG3: When I saw a review for this a while ago, I thought it looked incredibly stupid, just the idea of the game. Everything in the game is supposed to look nice.

Starcraft Ghost: I've accually been looking forward to Starcraft Ghost, untill I heard it was for X-box, does anyone know if it's coming out for PS2?

Pandora's Tomorrow: I havn't heard very much on this game, but It is supposed to be very good.

MGS: Twin Snakes: I havn't heard alot on this game either, but from the little I have heard, it will be ok.

Goldeneye 2: I liked the first goldeneye game for the N64, but it won't succede, EA is pushing the limit on this one, they should just stick to making up new storylines.

Ones I'm looking forward to.

1:Pandoras Tomorrow

2:Starcraft Ghost

Originally posted by Sherack Nhar

Starcraft Ghost: Can you say franchise exploitation? Everybody was (and still is) expecting a Stacraft 2, and we get this instead. WTF? A third person action game on consoles? Geh. I might get flamed for this, but I really believe Blizzard is past its prime now...

Both WarCraft III and its expansion are excellent games. I can forsee World of Warcraft being just as excellent (although this MMORPG thing is being used by a lot of companies in recent times). I'd more safely say that StarCraft is past its prime.

Originally posted by krkode

Both WarCraft III and its expansion are excellent games. I can forsee World of Warcraft being just as excellent (although this MMORPG thing is being used by a lot of companies in recent times). I'd more safely say that StarCraft is past its prime.

I wouldn't say that, there hasn't been a "real" Starcraft game since the original, so you can't really judge if it's past its prime or not yet.

I thought Warcraft 3 was very boring, but then again that's just me. Diablo 2 was a wreck, and so was the expansion. WoW doesn't look to be anything special. It's just another MMORPG set in a fantasy setting... I don't really care about the WC universe, either.

I'm an official StarCraft Ghost hater. I'm still complaining against Blizzard for wasting their time on this load of !&*?@%$ instead of making a StarCraft2. I've been waiting for StarCraft 2 since the first one came out...Damn you Blizzard.

Diablo2 was a fine clickfest but the as for the x-pac...worst x-pac ever made.

WC3's story was fun but the gameplay holds no appeal to me. The number of units you can have is ridiculously low and the game focuses too much on the heroes rather then the common grunts.

Golden Eye2: What the Hell? Why would they make a GoldenEye2?! There's no point. Make another James Bond game if you want but Golden Eye2?

Only Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow seems fine but it looks an awful lot like the old one with just new stuff put on it and a multiplayer mode(a multiplayer mode for a stealth game? A bunch of stealth assasin crawling around for an hour trying to kill each other. Wow, lots of fun).

Diablo II = 9 months of my life wasted (no joke, i played all the classes to at least above lvl 80)

I don't really like the espionage genre, i'm more of a Rambo, run in, shoot, and have fun kind of guy (Serious Sam anyone?).

personally, I hate stealth missions in a game, so I have trouble playing stealth games. But, a co-op stealth game could be kinda cool. It would resolve a lot of my problems like, 2 guards next to the alarm & you can only take 1 shot at a time.

Though, I too am never one to hide in the shadows for long. I am always the tank that rolls into the middle of battle, takes all the punishment and deals it right back. And I couldn't stand Goldeneye...the gun turns before you do, I could never line up a straight shot in time. The same goes for Timesplitters on xbox. Both of those games suck! *runs*

I guess I'm just used to the style of play employed by every other FPS ever made. That being, gun is stationary, but you turn. Instead of gun moves first, then your torso moves, torso stops, and finally the gun recenters. It just doesn't seem realistic.

(yes, I am arguing realism between that & games where you shoot energy beams into hulking monsters while maintaining a 40mph run & carrying a pistol, 2 different shotguns, several assault rifles, a rocket launcher, energy weapons, grenades, a knife/sword/other meelee weapon, ammo for each gun in mass quantities, armor, and med packs)

*resumes running*

True, but you do turn you head to aim, keeping the sights lined up with your eye, so the effect is basically the same...just imagine trying to aim accurately while turning with the gun first, then the body or head, it doesn't work.

Anywho, I believe I've gotten us far enough off track...

the games do look pretty sweet graphically anyway

• 1 month later...

The best stealth games I've every played are Thief: The Dark Project, and Thief II: The Metal Age. So I hope they don't mess up on the next in the series, Thief: Deadly Shadows. Yeah...it's a naff title, and Deus Ex: Invisible War doesn't really instil a lot of confidence - but I'm hoping.

As for 'espionage', I prefer the quirky humour and first person perspective of the No One Lives Forever games. I can only hope that Monolith will decide to make a third in that series - though the not exactly stellar sales of the last two games may nobble the idea.

Another game that looks promising is Alias, based on the TV series. It's a third person game which will allow you to sneak around and use disguises, and is obviously focused on espionage.

So the future for sneaker titles looks a little brighter...

Archived