Home

Can't we do something?

tembleofbu

The annoying thing is that it isnt just lucasarts it's all these companies who are discontinuing adventure games I mean it would be great to see more sequels or fresh ideas on the same guide lines but the good old adventure game is just not what people seem to want it's games like the sims and other simulations! :mad:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by kuksoolwon

well i did read a lucas arts interview and they were sayign that there are going to be more than a 5 monley island game they were talking like they are going to make at least up to 7.

Dude - where did you see this?

• 1 month later...
Originally posted by LeChucks Pizza

The annoying thing is that it isnt just lucasarts it's all these companies who are discontinuing adventure games I mean it would be great to see more sequels or fresh ideas on the same guide lines but the good old adventure game is just not what people seem to want it's games like the sims and other simulations! :mad:

Of course, we are now entering a Catch 22... Adventure games are not being released because the market doesn't seem interested in new ones... while market sales are lower due to the fact that there aren't many new adventure games released.

Kinda crummy, if you ask me. Someone's gotta break out of that mold, and I see no better candidate than MI5 (or perhaps Grim Fandango 2)!!!

wait, why isn't stop motion possible in a game. I mean theretically it's just like a sprite. Every move would have to be set agianst a blue screen and then cut out. And moved across a background. It would have a extreamly cool style also. they did it in Neverhood right?

Also, why is it Dumb?

Of course stop motion works theatrically, in things like the movies and TV, they follow a certain path and the people making it know what they're going to do. In a game, it's more dynamic than that and people can't be sure of what people will do, where they will move and so on. In order to compensate for every eventuality you'll need stop motion animation for every move that's possible in the game and considering stop motion takes bloody ages anyway to do about five seconds of animation, no one would be that patient. This is why it is easier to used 3D models in 3D environments, it just makes sense and isn't... dumb.

Also, we can't make LA do an MI5, we can just wait for them to decide to start making it. Of course at that point I'll be starting the count down poll to when they cancel production (my bet being that they actually will cancel it so if I lose, I still get a game in the end).

I can't see any reason Lucasarts haven't yet brought out MI5. They must have got enough sales from the first 4 to encourage them to bring out a fifth. And its obvious that they planned to bring out a fifth whilst they were making the fourth, as voodoo lady says she has an unbreakable 5 game contract.

Why must people obsess over that little one liner? They had no plans, they just figured, hey if this sells well enough then maybe we'll make another, oh boy prophecy come true, if not, then hey look at the irony.

And the reason they haven't made it yet is now is not the proper time to release a graphic adventure. Or so they say.

• 5 weeks later...

They better make another one. But its been talked about a lot. At least there has been nothing on scrapping it. If they scrap it, I will never associate with Lucasarts again. Not even seeing their movies or buying anymore games...I'll hate them forever!

*Whispers* maybe they bought that...;) hahaha, now they'll make a new one for sure.

Actually the company who makes the movies is not really intertwined with the one who makes games. One is LucasArts, the other is LucasFilm. George Lucas owns them both, but they don't really work together. So you can still see the movies. If you don't see anything done by George Lucas's companys than anything ILM works on should be out too, so that almost every movie with special effects. Hows this for political correctness?

Lucasfilms will probably provide a small amount of fundage for other films not associated with Lucasfilms in any way and they'd be out.

So you're basically stuck with a lot of artsy foreign films and crappy student work.

Also Star Wars ep3 will be out as well as Indy4. I'm not saying they're gonna be the best most unmissiable filmes in the world, but they are widely anticipated.

And also, you post had no effect whatsoever considering I doubt any of the LA staff come here as this is a fan site.

I think it´s quite wierd that they dont relase a Mi5... Nearly all I have spoken too says that they like Adventure games and that Monkey island are the best! Also Grim Fandango is an awsome game! If they would release a Mi5 i would buy it without thinking! =) Nothing new on any adventure games comming soon?

Unfortunatly, none coming from LucasArts.

The two adventure games that they were producing got cancelled because they were afraid not enough people would buy them, and they're partly right, the action game or strategy game fanbase is a hell of a lot bigger than the adventur game fanbase. Old classics are good and all, but Escape From Monkey Island showed LucasArts that they were losing their touch and so they took a step back from adventure games abd probably won't revisit it for a while.

The most promising adventure game set to come out from any company currently would be 'The Longest Journey 2', as it's predecessor was awsome and this is being made by the same guy, so expect a pretty good game.

• 1 month later...

1st: Please stop saying that MI5 is announced.... It isn't and that sucks....

And then........................... Back on topic (W00t!) :

Point is we can't do anything? Which also sucks! Please LucasArts, make MI5, GF2 and S&M 2! Please! We will all buy at least one copy of the game! Don't worry you'll earn lots of cash! Have you read the letter to you @ scummbar.com ? You should, it is interesting... Now just make the game(s) right? Remember that the Voodoo Lady can sue you, cause she has an un-breakable five game contract, you will never win that case! Then you will loose money instead of making money by releasing MI5! Nice point huh?

I don't want MI5. Seriously, I don't! I would have wanted it if there was another company making it, but LucasArts will never ever sell the rights as long as they still are making money from it. I don't want MI5 by LucasArts because LucasArts suck big time. And I don't want a sucky company to make another sequel to, in my opinion, one of the best game-series of all time. All I want now is Sam'n'Max 2. If they bring it back, I will still have some bad feelings against them, but then I can trust LucasArts to make another MI again. But they will never do anything like that. Making a decision that will make everybody hate them is one thing to do. But they would never admit that they're wrong about Sam'n'Max.

I'm sorry that this turned into a "bring Sam'n'Max back" post. But I mean it. I don't want MI5 when things are like they are now. I would have buyed it, yes, but I would not be able to enjoy it as much as I could if LucasArts hadn't cancelled Sam'n'Max 2.

So the only thing I want to do to make them make MI5 is to encourage everybody to keep mailing letters about Sam'n'Max. It won't make them think about making MI5, but my hope is that someone will see the enormous mistake they have made, and bring Sam'n'Max 2 back in production. And perhaps they will make MI5 afterwards. But I don't want a MI5 before they have admitted that they're wrong.

-Rapp Scallion

(Wow, this was getting longer that I meant to. Sorry:) )

Edit: And I might add: I don't want a GF2. GF1 was perfect and ended the story nicely. A second one just wouldn't be the same. And LucasArts would just screw it up.

MAN, I hate LucasArts!

Amen!

So now all we need is:

Something of head,

something of thread,

something of body,

and something of death

from one of the bastards. Who should we pick first? I vote for Mike Nelson. Bus he isn't in charge anymore...

(someone got an alternavive recipie?)

-Rapp Scallion

Archived