Home

Ok, hitch warning... searched forums

Losonos

Ok, i'm running JKA dedicated server downloaded from fileplanet on a Windows 2003 Server.

Server is a Duel AMD 2000 MP box with absolutely nothing on it but JA. 1 gig of ram.

Average CPU use is around 2% with 2 servers running (1 full, 1 just starting), problem does persist with other server shut down. Servers are assigned to diffrent IP addresses.

Only services running right now are required to run windows + an FTP Server (Disabling it does not help/fix the problem)

The hitch warnings occur randomly during the matches (Power Duel and Duel servers) and can last up to 2-3 seconds, on another server setup by a professional company I had the same exact problem but it was much worse (Then again that server was a bit more active as far as CPU/resource allocation goes)

(Config - only thing removed was the PW section)

set g_gametype 4

seta sv_maxclients "14"

seta g_inactivity 0

seta sv_maxRate 10000

set g_allowvote 0

set timelimit 7

set capturelimit 20

set g_autoMapCycle 1

seta sv_privateClients "2"

seta sv_reconnectlimit "3"

seta g_dismember "100"

seta g_maxForcerank "7"

seta g_allowvote "0"

seta g_saberLocking "1"

seta d_saberkicktweak 0

seta g_debugmelee 1

seta g_weaponDisable "524279"

seta g_forcePowerDisable "163837"

seta g_saberDamageScale "0.9"

seta duel_fraglimit "10"

seta g_tracesaberfirst "1"

seta g_forceregentime 200

seta g_duelweapondisable 65535

seta g_friendlyfire 1

map mp/duel7

=================

TIA

The hitch warning, from my understanding just means that the server had trouble contacting the master server for whatever reason. This is normal and can happen for any number of reasons, whether its there being a CPU useage spike, or another processing running that tied up the CPU from performing the task of broadcasting to the server, or just a glitch. Its normal for when the maps first start since most master servers run on a 15-minute cycle. If it continues consistantly, then you might have a problem.

Yeah i've looked around on the forums and see that everyone so far say it's linked to CPU usage, but when this occurs there is no spike in CPU usage and it only seems to effect the JKA servers, the other servers act as if nothing occured. I've added ET and UT2k4 servers and they work flawlessly even when the JKA servers give hitch warnings.

The hitch warnings do not seem linked to sending heartbeats out to the master servers, they occur entirely at random.

Here is an explanation snipped from the GameAdmin site:

Since the question "What does the 'Hitch warning: x msec frame time' message mean on a dedicated server?" keeps coming up here, I figured it needed a real answer. Quake 3 has a program loop that is constantly handling game "events". The loop gets an event, handles that event, gets an event, handles that event, etc. That loop has to execute at a fairly constant rate for the game play to be smooth. However, since that loop can be interrupted by other programs running on the computer, or can be delayed when the game does some time-consuming operation (like loading levels or bots from disk), there's code in that loop that adjusts for small amounts of time lost to those interruptions (call the interruptions "hitches"). Longer hitches cause glitches in game play (you've probably seen those where your connection to a server goes bad and everything starts jumping around).

When Quake 3 is running as a dedicated server, it warns you (via the console log) of hitches longer than 500 msec. You'll probably see hitch warnings as the game loads levels, loads bots, or other time consuming operations. The hitch warnings can be ignored as long as they are small amounts of time. However, large hitches will be noticed by the clients (with the extreme case being a temporary disconnection). (from SysError 119)

Archived