Home

LOTR Academy Award-Fest

Neverhoodian

Originally posted by ET Warrior

I personally thought it was too short. The movie ended and I was just stuck to my seat. I stared in awe, and I was slightly crushed. Because the ride was finally over, and I didn't want it to end.:(

OMG, thats how i feel at the end of a good book, sometimes i even cry (yes im a sissy), not because its a sad story, because its a great book and when it ends, asneverhoodian put it, its like loosing a good friend.

I wouldn't say ROTK was the best film i have ever seen.... but the trilogy as a whole was a magnificent accomplishment (captured the essence of the books without dumbing them down, but converted them to filmable) and has to be the best, most consistent trilogy of all time.

The only ones that can compare are Star Wars, Godfather & Dollars trilogies... and each of those has a weak link.

I still prefer the first one (extended) and two towers (extended) to ROTK, but i guess that might change when they release the 5hr version on DVD later in the year.

Maybe this will lead to a few other "unfilmable" books being attempted. It shows that what you need to do is devote the time, money and effort needed rather than just trying to squeeze the book into a short genre movie.

THe hobbit, Dune, His dark materials, Ender's Game strike me as books that could do with the same sort of adaption. I'm sure there are others.

Originally posted by toms

I wouldn't say ROTK was the best film i have ever seen.... but the trilogy as a whole was a magnificent accomplishment (captured the essence of the books without dumbing them down, but converted them to filmable) and has to be the best, most consistent trilogy of all time.

The only ones that can compare are Star Wars, Godfather & Dollars trilogies... and each of those has a weak link.

I still prefer the first one (extended) and two towers (extended) to ROTK, but i guess that might change when they release the 5hr version on DVD later in the year.

Maybe this will lead to a few other "unfilmable" books being attempted. It shows that what you need to do is devote the time, money and effort needed rather than just trying to squeeze the book into a short genre movie.

THe hobbit, Dune, His dark materials, Ender's Game strike me as books that could do with the same sort of adaption. I'm sure there are others.

You sir, compare too much...

Originally posted by txa1265

After what David Lynch did to it - and the production company hacked out of it ... I dunno if we'll see that.

Mike

I know. But that came from attempting to sqeeze it into ONE movie. Lynch ended up with a 6hr film that was then cut to a two hr film. Imagine if they filmed it like LOTR, as 3 2 1/2 hr films. It would rule.

Of course, the Scifi channel basically just did that, and it is surprisingly good. But the lack of budget does stop it reaching it's full potential.

I'm still surprised they haven't decided to film all the Harry Potter books at once. It would seem to be a sure fire success with much less risk than LOTR, but if they keep making them one at a time they are going to have to deal with the kid actors getting older and the fact it will eventually loose it's appeal to kids.

Originally posted by Neverhoodian

Another thing moviemakers can learn from LOTR is the fact that the team didn't cut any corners in the making of the films. Not once did I ever think "that looks like a [insert common plastic everyday device here]" or "that's not REAL chain mail." The reason being: it WAS real chain mail. They were as authentic as possible for props, costumes, weapons and miniatures.

not only was it real chainmail, it was only two people who made ALL of it. they sat through the entire making and put little metal rings together. now, they absolutly NO fingerprints on their thumbs and index(?) fingers...

Originally posted by toms

I'm still surprised they haven't decided to film all the Harry Potter books at once. It would seem to be a sure fire success with much less risk than LOTR, but if they keep making them one at a time they are going to have to deal with the kid actors getting older and the fact it will eventually loose it's appeal to kids.

Well, the first two have been mega-hits, and pretty decent films as well. And I have heard that the third is the best yet (well, that is true for the books as well, so perhaps it isn't surprising)

The difficulty in any series around kids is that no two kids age alike and that making big movies in sequence based on their natural aging is a difficult feat. The HP books are 1 year spaces, but the movies are taking at least a year - tough squeeze. Looking at the trailers, you can see how each kid is hitting their teen years diffierently.

But then, they have switched Dumbledore, and I suppose all of the others will be swapped out before the 7th movie hits ... who knows how that will impact things.

Mike

Originally posted by txa1265

After what David Lynch did to it - and the production company hacked out of it ... I dunno if we'll see that.

Mike

as a lynchphile I wont say that D word....but Mike, have you seen the resent minseries version of Dune and Children of Dune.....they;re SUPERB !

MTFBWYA

bought them on dvd as they weren't shown over here.

I've watched Dune... it was good, but a bit stagey and hampered by the obvious lack of budget. Haven't got around to watching Children of Dune yet.

But even they are perfect examples of the same thing as LOTR... there are some books that JUST CANT be compressed into one film. Hopefully with the success of LOTR producers might be willing to give a few more of them the time they deserve.

Archived