Home

I was there in 1977 man !....??

Astrotoy7

When did you actually see Star Wars(any episode) first !?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. When did you actually see Star Wars(any episode) first !?

• I'm an old fart and actually saw it in the thetares in 1977 !
    • I first saw Star Wars it on TV in the 80s !
    • I didn't see Star Wars until the 90s
    • Only after watching Episode I /or II
    • I first saw Star Trek in 1965....um.....oops....sorry....

Ok, here is my story.

My primary schools principle's wife was a friend of my mums and one day she gave us rebel assualt 1 to see if we (me & my Brother) beat it.

I watched my brother play it and beat it in 2 days.

Then I bought Ep 5 in which time ep 3, watched it and crapped myself basically.

ANH (original release) was a year before my time. RotJ is the 1st film I can remember seeing in theaters though. Nothin like Vader & the breathing & Palaps evil cackle on the big screen, blasting thru the speakers. C'mon E3 2005 cant come soon enough.

Good times.....

Good grief you people are old. I was a kid when I saw it in the early 90's - I think it was '93, actually. And that was a VHS tape my parents had made of the TV showing at some point. Later my mom picked up the trilogy on VHS about a year or so before the SE's came out (I remember her coming in; we were talking with my maternal grandmother and showing it to us. We'd never seen TESB or ROTJ, so I was like "This is cool") I watched them as soon as I could. I got hooked on the movies, and my friends Iand I got psycho about them. Then a neighbor across the street found out I liked them and lent me Tim Zahn's original Thrawn trilogy. I haven't stopped reading SW books since, and though I've not gotten into the comics as much, I've yet to meet anyone who knows more than me in real life. ON here or over at the boards on TF.N, sure, but not that many there, either...

Heh...The first time I saw it was when I was about...5ish and I had the flu. (1995) My dad wnated to cheer me up because I was pretty much crying and coughing at the same time. So he went out, rented the original version, and I saw it all up to right after the battle of hoth (I saw ANH, then TESB) because I was too tired and sick to watch the rest, even though I wanted to. I watched the rest when I was better. It was all great. I loved Star Wars from there on.

I didnt get interested in Star Wars until the mid 90's. The first time I watched A New Hope was on TBS when I was atleast 12. Eversince then ive been a hardcore fan. I went to Phantom Menace the day after its release and Attack of the Clones at the midnight showing. It was awesome, I just cant wait for Episode III. Thats gonna be the biggest event for all Star Wars fans everywhere. Man I cant wait til 2005!

I remember going to see Return of the Jedi in the theatre, I was 4 or 5. The line for the movie was around the corner, but it was worth it. I also inherited tons of the original Star Wars toys from my older brothers. Those are what started my love for Star Wars.

I never had much in the way of Star Wars toys ... but I was 11 - 5th grade ... my kids have a bunch of them, though.

leXX has a nice collection, though - and some of the 'gaming space' pix show others' nice collections.

Mike

Originally posted by BawBag™

90's Massiv'! :D

The Originals I saw on tape in '94 I think.

I was swimming about in a testicle in '77......

You sure? Because what if he was, how do I say this...hands on?

:p

But if you want a full story about my star wars beginings, [Rod Steiger]I will have to take you back to a time. A time that has no begining and end. A time that will shock and amaze you. Welcome, to the Troopr zone[/Rod Steiger]

I was just a lad (5) sitting on my couch shooting myself in the face with a suction dart gun (ya know, like very child does) when my dad picks me up and plops me in front of the boob tube, and I didn't pay much attention to it and kept mindlessly shooting myself. When I hear "DUN DUNN DUN DUNNNNN, DUNNNN, DUNN DUN DUN DUN DUN!" and I see those yellow letters crawling up the screen all the while constrasting with the black abyss of space, and I remember asking to whatch it again and to my sadness my father told me

"sorry son that was on TV."

:confused:

"huh?"

"we can't whatch it again."

*cries*

"ok...OK! I'll go and buy it for you."

"I wuv you daddy."

*waits for awwws from the swampies*

Yes, and so the rest was as we say...History ;)

Troopr, at least your old man went out and bought you the tapes. All i used to get from my parents(and it continues *to this very day*), was (please imagine a southern european accent :

in the earlier days(when I was still living at home) :

"I dont know why why you like that movie. it's all full of lies, no one has a space ship, or a robot. that film will get you nowhere. why dont you watch something else. Go to your room !"

nowadays

"What! you still like that movie!! its for kids. what does your girlfriend think. If you have kids, you will have more toys than them. What type of a man are you ! Start acting like a real man. Computer games are for little kids !When I was your age I used to work 7 days a week. People these days are just lazy......!!!!!"

ah well, parents.....

MTFBWYA

I saw it in '77. I was 6 when it was released. i think I saw it about 14 times on the first release. I drove my mother crazy,.. although she liked the move too once she saw it.

I actually bought a paperback version of the story before it came out, although I don't think I read it until later. I just looked at the pictures thinking about how cool the movie was going to be.

I still have a lot of my Kenner SW toys around.

I was a wee lad of 6 when ANH first came out. At that tender age I was awe struck when Darth Vader first makes his appearance and has that little look around.

I must have driven my father insane with my NUMEROUS requests for more Stormtrooper figures to go with my Vader toy. Ah, how I remember having Vader win every battle with Luke Skywalker. Even then I was a sithling in the making :p

Originally posted by txa1265

leXX has a nice collection, though - and some of the 'gaming space' pix show others' nice collections.

Mike

Thanks. =)

I wish I could find more of them. I had a lot full size vehicles like the AT-AT, AT-ST, Falcon etc, and a lot of my bigger action toys are missing, like my Rancor and Jabba the Hutt. =( I'm gonna get dirty next time I'm at my mums house and have a good old rummage in the attic. They'd be worth a fortune now, not that I'd ever sell them.

I must've seen it on TV before ROTJ came out, since I was about 6, almost 7 when that came out.

ROTJ was my first cinema experience, but knew the whole SW plot already, got into it at an early age. Must've seen it on TV beforehand.....

Originally posted by leXX

I had a lot full size vehicles like the AT-AT, AT-ST, Falcon etc,

They'd be worth a fortune now, not that I'd ever sell them.

I have boxes of that stuff. I have the Falcon and both walkers, a standard Tie and Vader's Tie... and cases of action figures I don't know the real condition of any of this stuff though... although I suspect that none of it is in as good condition as I remember. I always took pretty good care of it all, but I still played with them.

I've thought of trying to sell or auction the collection a couple of times,.. but I wouldn't know what to ask, and I'm a bit too lazy to do that much work.

Maybe if I ever get a bigger place I'll actually display them all.

I just watched TESB with my kids on Saturday night (wife was a way so we had 'movie dinner' ... ) ... what a great flick. The kids enjoyed it - they mentioned they'd only seen it once or twice before. I think the impact of that is better with age (they're now 6 and 7.5)

The whole feeling of the movie - the rebels are fighting for their lives ... and losing - is very powerful. The problem facing GL in the prequels is that victory or defeat in action are excitiing, but stagnation and decay (i.e. the decrepit and corrupt Republic, the stagnant and arrogant Jedi order) is ... boring. I love AotC, I really do, but I think that if he can infuse into EpIII a sense that everything is going wrong and falling apart and people are desparately clinging to maintain order that it could be really great.

Mike

Mike, Im sure your kids love you and all, and might think SW is cool now, but one thing I love about SW is that it is part of *me*, its sets me apart from many of my friends. Many friends do say, 'yeah Astro, he's SW crazy!'

If my parents had introduced me to it, it wouldnt be the same, nice, but not the same. Another thing I noticed is that when my little sister was 12/13, she loved coming with her big bro to Ep 1, twice ! When EpII came out, it was "No thanks, that's boring"(yes, Astro was sad).....

ah well....

MTFBWYA

Originally posted by Astrotoy7

Mike, Im sure your kids love you and all and might think SW is cool now, but one thing I love about SW is that it is part of *me*, its sets me apart from many of my friend, many say, 'yeah Astro, he's SW crazy!' If my parents had introduced me to it, it wouldnt be the same,nice, but not the same. Another thing I noticed is that when my litlle sister was 12/13, she loved coming with her big bro to Ep 1, twice ! When EpII came out, it was "No thanks", that's boring"(yes, Astro was sad)

That's one of the joys (and frustrations) of parenting - sharing parts of you with your kids. SW is a part of me, which makes it more enjoyable for me to share it than to, say, watch Pokemon Heroes with them.

Star Wars isn't the end-all for them - and they're still young. My 6 year old is a Spy Kids and Scooby-Doo nut. My 7.5 year old is much more of a SW nut.

Star Wars changed so much in real terms, as well as just for me.

Mike

Archived