Home

What do want in JK4? ('Future of the Series' merged)

Tidus01

What I'm saying is, maybe people don't really want JK4, they want Galaxies: Free Jedi Edition or KOTOR 2: Online Edition.

But why not have all of the above?

I'd love to see JK4 (as a FPS).

I'd love to see Galaxies as an off-line SP game.

I wouldn't want KOTOR online, but I'm sure KOTOR lovers who play online would love it.

(I haven't played KOTOR yet, though I really, really want to, and my 56k won't handle online gaming...)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the controls need to be completely overhauled. the awkwardness of saber battles is horrible.

hows this for a new control system - move your mouse up, the saber goes up. down, down. that and improve the collision detection and you have some INCREDIBLE gameplay and online play. multiplayer would have some skill involved then.

Of course if they use the Doom3 engine that means several extra years tacked onto the development cycle as the team "learns" the new engine and figures out how to add stuff like Sabers and Force (that aren't in Doom3 to begin with).

And by the time the game comes out, people will be starting to say the Doom3 engine "looks dated."

Trust me, it will happen! ; p

While Raven Software is doing Quake IV which will help them learn the engine (and even assuming Raven is on the next project for JK4 if and when that occurs), I think the Unreal Engine would be a better choice. After all, it's been out for years and its more well known and easier to edit (so I hear). That and the Unreal tech is constantly being updated and refined, so you have games like UT2k3, UT2k4, Unreal II, etc that look amazing and play well (okay maybe Unreal II wasn't anything special, but you get the idea).

I think the controls need to be completely overhauled. the awkwardness of saber battles is horrible.

hows this for a new control system - move your mouse up, the saber goes up. down, down. that and improve the collision detection and you have some INCREDIBLE gameplay and online play. multiplayer would have some skill involved then.

Sounds great, but remember what happened to the VSIM system in "Die by the Sword"? It operated that way, but this just encouraged people to wiggle their mouse rapidly like monkeys, which allowed them to win more often than not. Pure hack 'n' slash basically. Not much skill involved there...

Put in a "block button" and people will just hold it down forever (piece of tape on the keyboard?).

That and any system you use is going to be affected by lag in Multiplayer, so even the best laid plans have to account for that.

PS: I agree with Rhett, definately more Cowbell.

Well technically JA was JK3 in that JK3 was the working title, project title of the game until the name was chosen.

But let's not get into the whole "It should be Dark Forces IV: Jedi Knight III: Mysteries of the Sith II.... " business. ; )

I know, I know.

The logo on the box says "JK II" (the stylized "II" inside the J and K with Academy underneath) and its technically not about Kyle (leading to people comparing it to Mots and calling it an expansion when it wasn't marketed as one, etc).

When Jedi Knight came out, we all called it "JK" only a very few people called it "Dark Forces II" even though that was officially its title right on the box.

Whatever, we know what you mean. ; )

But I doubt the next game will be called "Jedi Knight III" that would be a little confusing, don't you think?

I like the idea of a Force Choice progression actually being a progression, not something so artificial and not just a "press 1 to choose Darkside, press 2 to choose Lightside" as somebody rightly described JA's "choice." ; )

Something akin to "karma" points as you progress that influences your powers and path makes a lot of sense. Making the game into Deus Ex is a tall order, since that's a very different kind of game, but I suppose it could be done. Keep in mind how long it took to make that game though (and all the patching, etc). But if people are willing to wait... that's cool.

It just seems like LA likes to put Raven on tight schedules, so they have to work fast.

Damn Prime that was a long post lol! Anyways I tend to agree with Prime on his comments. Tidus' version sounds very much like Galaxies. I can compare but that was already done by Prime. I for one am not going to pay a monthly fee just to play a game that I just bought for $50.

I can't wait for the next game though. Better graphics, sound (I had some issues in JA), refined combat (more powerful and faster guns / less random lightsaber swinging. Just my personal opinion). As with what I said in my last post (back in the other thread), I want SP co-op. Friends connected via LAN or Internet. 2 at most (3 including yourself). But, this isn't key to play SP, just an option that you can experience with your friends.

For replayablity: In the beginning, you can start out as dark, neutral or light and throughout the game, you can go back and forth between them. Sort of like KOTOR's morality meter. As for endings, I wouldn't mind multiple (3+) so I would have a reason to play the game again.

There's my 2 cents. Nothing too radical but some things that I think would help the series continue.

Originally posted by txa1265

I thought Sony either had one or was putting one out ... but can't remember ...

Planetside is a massively multiplayer fps, w/ just a few rpg elements thrown in

Then, of course, there is Tribes, Unreal Tournament, Quake Arena, Counter Strike, etc, etc, ad infitium, ad nauseum

Originally posted by Tidus01

many gamers have wanted to be immersed in a star wars universe.....

that could all be done.

let me explain some things that would enhance the image of the star wars universe:

1) you create or choose a character

2) you get placed in a servers called PLANETS. let me explain: each server is a different planet on which you live on; these arent your normal servers. these servers include single player and multiplayer together. To elaborate:

3) you start a new identity on a "planet" and u live and save your progress(only) in an appartment building where you have your own room which only you have access to Well the idea sounds nice but li prime said is to much like galaxys so if you want a game like this buy kotor or galaxys so$.

4)As you travel thorugh different markets, you obtain market codes which when you enter in your appratrment you are able to buy, sell. trade items from within your appartment without having to travel all the way to the market itself

5)within the building perameters there is a massive garage for those who live in the building:

each player is allowed to keep probably only one vehicle within the garage

6) moving along, within the server/world there are various buildings, on of which is an Academy, presumingly for Jedis. This Academy is used for training. To explain: as your character progress mentally and physically they are able to gain new features towards themeselves such as

endurance: how welll you take damage, reflex: how well you react and block , etc. ; you are able to gain new force powers such as push, pull, grip,lightining, heal, etc. All of these features towards your character must be trained with within the Jedi Academy. Not going into too much detail, your character must train and live temporarily within the academy and train with others to excell his character in different areas.

7) continuing, as it could be predicted, servers/worlds will fill up and therefore, there should be many of them, each significantly different (different terrains, buildings, items, etc.). Now you ask

" well...how how can i go to planet XYZ and talk to Joe Shmoe? "

....to answer that, you go to a special place where starcrafts are held, you get into a planet transportation shuttle and it will take you to the planet of your choice. .... now you ask,how do I save when on another planet? well to answer that you should have a choice of renting an appartment.

8) the gameplay will be very similair to Jedi Acedmemy although one main new feature that will DEFINETLY be noticable. I call it - The Blocking Button -!!

in Jedi Academy you do not quite control defense....but within this game, blocking will be don automaticlly 10-20 percent of the time and manually blocking will have to be taken in mind when fighting; for in Jedi Acedmy/Outcast the game is very strongly based around runing around, moving away from an attack and then jumping towards the enemy with another attack (no defensive side to th game really).

No you ask - where can we fit the Block button to make the fighting comfortable? well, already thought of that. If youre using the mouse, and you probably are, then the block button would be the Middle mouse button.

9) your character would probably be able to carry a few weapons (unlike Jedi Academy you should be grounded to the floor for you carrymrethen 10 weapons and items). You always carry a pistol. (1) You carryYou are able to carry (1) BIG WEAPON such as rocket launcher. And you are able to carry (1) Medium size weapon. And you carry a lightsaber/sword (1)

10) your health would go down realisticlly. your armor will prevent a horrible death. and as in HALO, your able to purchase for a great deal of money a Power Shield. This prevents a minimum amount of damage going through. when it wears down normal damage will go through. but soon the Power Shield recharges.

if I think of anything else I'll add it in

msg me if u want at ibendelman@hotmail.com

understand this is only a taste of whatcould be done to let star wars fans live thier star wars fantasy

.......*taking in breath*

Originally posted by sabretooth

Here's how the RPG thing will work - (to my mind)

Remember the mission overview shown after every mission? That data can be used to analyze what sort of Jedi you are. In JK:JA, your core powers advanced with the tier you are playing in (t1=1 force, t2=2 force) etc. But ink JK4, it should be based on your gameplay. If you are a person who jumps a lot, your Force Jump will increase faster. If you go fast, your Force Speed incrases and so on. That really seems Jedi-ish, otherwise, you add a point, and you learned so-and-so power. Gr8!

The character will also have statistics like Attack, Defense, Agility etc. These will increase depending on how you battle and move. There should also be one statistic named "Wisdom". This makes you wiser and more effective with your saber and force. You obtain wisdom by analyzing the style you battle, the choices you make, the sabers and weapons you choose etc.

The conversion is also automatic. In JK: JA, you can learn all Light side abilities and turn to the dark side. Sounds pointless. In JK4, the computer will choose your side depending on Wisdom.

Wisdom will be of to types. Minus wisdom (dark side) and Plus wisdom (Light side). After every mission, you're wisdom is calculated. Suppose in one mission you get +35 Wisdom and in the other, you get -50 Wisdom (Bad, bad Jedi!:D ) then you have -15 Wisdom. In other words, you are a bit on the dark side. Well I like the idea but it sounds alot like kotor and if you want a game like this go buy kotor!$$$$$$$

they should bring back sam and max easter eggs like in the old jk games, they should bring back force projection from MotS (the kyle makes a dummy of himself that punches mid-air while you run away with force persuasion), definitely fix the saber fighting so its not run, spin, click click click click, swing, lucky kill, die, respawn, run, click, click (you get the picture), and they should make the RPG-like alignment chooser so you can turn to the dark side through your own actions (like in KOTOR).

also, it seems there's a lot of dispute on which engine they should use for the sequel if they make one. i think they should make a new engine perfect for star wars saber fighting, force powers, dual weapons, etc. it may take a long time but with a good, solid, new, perfect star wars engine, they could make sequels until computer gaming graphics got sooo good that they had to make a new one.

Remember the mission overview shown after every mission? That data can be used to analyze what sort of Jedi you are. In JK:JA, your core powers advanced with the tier you are playing in (t1=1 force, t2=2 force) etc. But ink JK4, it should be based on your gameplay. If you are a person who jumps a lot, your Force Jump will increase faster. If you go fast, your Force Speed incrases and so on. That really seems Jedi-ish, otherwise, you add a point, and you learned so-and-so power. Gr8!

Well, based on that, I can be a Jedi Master by completing just one mission. Just jump, use heal, absorb, push and pull alot! And booya! Master of the Force you are. ;)

Originally posted by jojobob

they should bring back force projection from MotS (the kyle makes a dummy of himself that punches mid-air while you run away with force persuasion)

Not to mention projectile throw and destruction from Jedi Knight. But Deadly Sight bothered me, it just was annoying!

We also should get Jedi Master mode and Holocron FFA back (by default), those were awesome! Jedi Master was a favorite at my LAN Parties.

No I don't think a block button should just be a matter of holding down it down and you block everything. You would have to time hitting the button to block. It would sorta be like the Phantom Menace blocking. You don't control the way in which the saber moves to block a saber, but when you hit the button affect whether you block the hit. The only reason I say there should be a block button is that in JO I sometimes run into the problem of trying to attack with the saber and having the autoblock override my movements to try and deflect my opponent's blade. If that annoyance was removed and attacks would utterly override autoblock against a saber I don't think it would be necessary. Also I just think blocking another person's saber should be more effective. In the movies we see saber wielder's parrying each others attacks all the time. In JO that really doesn't happen so much.

As for bringing back powers like destruction I think thats a no no. We don't want a star wars game to degenerate into mortal kombat or dragon ball z.

For mission selection I think they should change it to where you have a braching storyline where you are presented choices of where to go and what to do. But you should feel in the midst of events. It should not be an unimportant objective decision that doesn't seem to affect anyone.

Oh and the only statistics that should have anyplace in the next JK game should probably be ones such as computer hacking, first aid, lock picking, and maybe stealth. And a morality score. How you fight should not be a battle of statistics like KOTOR. THis is an FPS not an RPG.

Originally posted by JediLiberator

No I don't think a block button should just be a matter of holding down it down and you block everything. You would have to time hitting the button to block. It would sorta be like the Phantom Menace blocking.

This wouldn't work for MP due to lag. It it hard enough defending with auto-block on all the time. Shortening that window would make it much more difficult...

Originally posted by Kengo

Actually, I think I'd settle for an engine where they really, really got the saber combat to film esque standards. Don't get me wrong, its good now, but if tactics came into play a lot more it would be great. It still has a little of a Q3, slightly random feel to it, good as it is, and you rarely see two people going toe to toe for 5 minutes ducking and sidestepping and such, ala the films.

In essence, I'd like a bit of a departure from current FPS standards rather than another FPS that happens to have the saber, which is how JA felt to me a little. It's good, but Raven can do better.

Totally off topic but LEC better not have cancelled Sam and Max 2...

I think that if the mouse were used to emulate human arm movement thus mimicking arm movement and used in combination with the keyboard, i think the saber combat could be greatly enhanced to make the duels more realistic like the movies. It's just a matter of the collision detection and how well the interaction with the mouse the devs make the game. But i think the answer lies with mouse movement in that how you move the mouse would be the way the saber would move onscreen. I figure if you hold down mouse button 1, that would be your primary attack, also you could switch styles as in JO/JA but it would be more in tune with the seven styles laid out in the source books. I would say that the staff and dual sabers would work in the same manner, maybe tweaked a little different.

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden

But i think the answer lies with mouse movement in that how you move the mouse would be the way the saber would move onscreen.

Isn't that pretty much how it is now? I mean, for the basic swings you have pretty fine control of where your saber goes. You can control whether you swing horizontally, vertically, or on the diagonals. You can swing high or low. Ultimately, you can more or less put the saber where you want it.

I'd say time would be better spent improving the collision detection which right now forces people to use attack and dodge strategies.

Originally posted by Prime

I'd say time would be better spent improving the collision detection which right now forces people to use attack and dodge strategies.

Absolutely. I mean - look at where Raven has taken normal shooter technology. Others may have better AI, but GHOULII is the best hit system - precision targeting tied into 36 hit zones, each with its' own characteristics. That is a major reason I love SoFII - it is a blast running around popping heads with the OICW ... so much more deterministic than RtCW or MoHAA were (or even newer games like CoD or H4l0).

How do you make a FPS with RPG elements that is satisfying to all involved? Not easy - I'd say Deus Ex was best at that. JK was pretty good, but it had an added dimension of light/dark conflict. Personally I'd love tons of NPC's, not just for environment, but the occasional discussion or side-quest. I'd love a skill-based progression like the hak-n-slashers ... if you're a gunner, you'll become a master gunner, same for sabers. Same, possibly, for Force Powers.

I very much agree that tomorrows engines are todays dreams which quickly become yesterday's news. Making a mediocre game with great graphics & physics & geomod or whatever ... is still a mediocre game.

Mike

Originally posted by Prime

Isn't that pretty much how it is now? I mean, for the basic swings you have pretty fine control of where your saber goes. You can control whether you swing horizontally, vertically, or on the diagonals. You can swing high or low. Ultimately, you can more or less put the saber where you want it.

I don't think you quite understand me prime. What i propose is that when you move the mouse, let's say for instance you want to attack someone using an upward slash at a certain angle, the mouse would directly emulate that movement. It would not be a pre-set, pre-programmed move but instead no two swings would be the same. I really couldn't give you a visual example but i could liken it more to the way freelancer uses the mouse in flight. Another example would be blocking. Your opponent goes for a low attack he swings towards your right so to block this attack you would do a low counter-clockwise circular movement, the movement of the mouse would be emulated onscreen, this movement would block the attack.

Ok i got it, your mouse pointer on screen would be tip of your saber, so lets say you move your mouse upwards, the pointer or in this case the tip of the saber would be towards the top of your screen. You then jiggle the mouse left and right, the saber would again follow your every movement, thus being more like an extension of your arms and giving greater freedom of movement as opposed to preset movements, in essense, the freedom of saber movement would only be limited by your imagination. Techniques, such as lunges could be accomplished by pressing the forward key on your keyboard. Blocking could be accomplished either by holding down mouse button 2 or having autoblock.

I just finished playing JK:DFII again...and I decided to go totally dark side. I think that it would be interesting if they developed that plot line. Here's why:

1. Kyle looked cool in his big swishy Emperor cloak that he wore at the end - better than his Outcast/JA outfit.

2. Sariss would make a great nemesis...she double-crossed Jerec by not showing up to trying and defeat Kyle, then becoming his apprentice/assistant...what would happen if she then double-crossed Kyle & tried to take the power for herself? They could even have Kyle trying to defeat Luke Skywalker & overthrow the New Jedi Order and the New Republic.

Basically, this would be the total opposite of what they've done...but I think it would be a lot of fun...at the very least it would be better than waiting until you're almost finished only to get something like "kill Rosh to be dark or turn off your saber to be light." Come on...everybody wanted to kill Rosh...he was a whining loser.

Hey! Here's an idea! In the next game, Rosh goes dark again and makes thousands of clones of himself & tries to take over the galaxy. Then, we'd get to kill Rosh over and over and over again, fulfilling every JA player's fantasies without committing to the dark side!!!

Maybe not...but I think some kind of plot line based on a dark side choice in DFII would be lots of fun.

For the next title for the JK/JA series...

New engine, make MP a true dueling experience.

Diferent tasks during SP not just a frag fest and get the key to unlock door puzzles. Maybe a bit more of adventure type for SP where you can pick diferent paths and methods to finish a level.

A good compeling interactive storyline.

I like when you play an FPS that puts you in a middle of a battle with some npcs on your side.

DF2: JK was the best of the series IMO. I want a city that lives... civilians always help...in DF2, the civies where rare and scarse...more numbers are quite possible nowadays and i think it would add depth to the game... other than that it's a rush to enter a fire fight with innocent bystanders in the way ;) Even tho I like dueling as much as the next guy... a horde of saber wielders just doesnt feel right... specially the force injected reborn... I know most people may disagree, I'd prefer battling vs gun wielders throughout all the game and having few but good and justifiable duels as in DF2. I still remember the rush of playing every map wishing the next map would have one of the 7 Dark Jedi... and finally, each time a Dark Jedi map appeared, the anxiety... the rush of it all.

With all them saber wielders around you jsut go "oh brother another pathetic reborn/cultist/whatever... let's get this over with"... "oh man... do they expect to have an upper hand because there's 2 of them? who the "fek" are they kidding?"

Nowadays it just seems so boring I'd much rather go obi-wan/qui-gon vs battle droids and hack away while dodging blaster fire (which depending on the nubmer, distance and map location relative to mine... i find more challenging cuz i hate getting hit and will avoid it at all costs).

Dont take me wrong... I did like JO and JA... it just doesn't compare to the storyline in DF2 (not by a long shot), the bosses are just plain dull compared to jerec and his dark jedi... the maps where more interesting in DF2 save some exceptions (Baron's

Hed/the fuelling station/nar shadda/etc)

Somehow the clothing in DF2 seemed more appropriate than the ones in the followign 2 games.

If im allowed a bit of nit picking... I'd prefer the modly crow to the raven's claw anyday. ;P (ok..this one is really unnecessary but it's true)

One last thing... for a next title.. Katarn yes... he's crutial to the series... but just let go of the recycled reborn plotlines... go for a new approach. and preferably... a more vaderish last boss... with a more maulish as his apprentice. Jerec (even tho not as good as vader) as a lil vader type boss... I think desaan was meant to be liek that as well but something went astray(ash tray?) with that character...and tavion was a joke.

Once again i'd just like to enphasize that I luved the JO and JA...and I have a good impression of Raven Software... I just think that DF2 was better storyline/feel wise... and raven can really beat that if they want/are allowed to.

Cheers

The game shouldn't be strict. Suppose you are going to escort a senator to the Senate and there are enemies on the way. Then you kill the Senator somehow. Your wisdom will drastically go down and you will be ejected from the mission unless there is another important objective. The story will continue, but your wisdom will be so low, you'll need like 2 missions to bring it back up.

The key setup will be usual, but the X key can be used for blocking. In Padawan and Jedi modes, your character will automatically block on pressing X, but in higher difficuties, you will need to assign a direction with it.

A TV or Replay system should be provided to check out replays of cool kills or make Jedi Documrentaries. An easy-to-use mission editor should be included as well.

To make crystals, you will need to find crystals. You can collect these crystals on some planets found in the game and then create a new saber. Your saber type will depend upon your crystals. If you got a bag full o' crystals, you might be able to create a saberstaff or maybe two! If you get enough for just one, you are given a choice to either replace it or use it as a dual sabers.

As for what the druid said, each mission will have a limit of how many jumps, blocks, saber throws, etc. to be considered during analysis. This will stop all of you walk-through followers!!

New move system:

The new move system will allow you to make new moves with force, saber etc. Suppose I want to choke and electrocute my opponent at the same time. Then I press F10 and F11 together and a notice will arrive saying that I have made a new move. Then if I press Tab and check the moves, I'll see my move as well. Now you have to just press a key to assign it to the move and viola! You have just invented and assigned a new move!

The AI should be better as well. What do you think a Sith or duelist is doing standing in one place? For a stormtrooper, he has a postion but a Sith? Saber-weilding opponents will move about and take rounds in the map. Also when they see one of there friendlies in danger or see a duel, they should instantly join and support their friends. Also, when you kill say 20 stormtroopers and 5 are still left. They will just run away rather than face you and die. If you get real close, then they will shoot you in a final attempt to kill you.

Again, if you say "move the mouse and it moves your saber" (attacking) then what do you propose we do about the problems inherent in this type of system (like Die By the Sword and it's VSIM?).

Example: player wiggles mouse around like madman, wins duel.

Why? Because he's swing his saber around so fast that it's forming a virtually impenetrable wall that his enemy can't penetrate and he can use it to wear down any defenses and batter his opponent to the ground.

Where's the skill in that? The strongest wrist wins!

Now if you want to go with the (defunct) Obi-Wan PC's "glyph system" you have other problems.

Okay, so the game makes you hold down a key while you twirl the mouse around in various shapes then release it to do a special scripted move.

Okay, so that means a large part of the duel is just going to be standing around while you wait to release a move. Some fun...

I suppose you could then have a second button for "fast attack" (just a plain quick swing) and still move with the strafing, turning keys, but that seems unnecessarily cumbersome.

Plus, what if people script the moves to gain an unfair advantage? Or what about lag? Lag will screw up these systems just as much if not moreso than the current hit detection moves system.

Likewise the block button, and "you have to time it perfectly" systems will also be affected by lag, and what will they really accomplish?

Maybe they'd be good for single player, but multiplayer, forget it.

why dont they use the Doom 3 engine like blackwolf stated?

i mean they didnt have sabers and force in Q3 did they?

and yes in JA you're lucky if you block a hit since you either dont

block at all or one or both of your sabers are whacked.

True, but remember that Raven already knew the Q3 engine very well from having done Elite Force. Then they cut their teeth on force powers/sabers with Jedi Outcast. (and the fact that they were getting even more practice by doing Soldier of Fortune II at more or less the same time as JA)

This made making Jedi Academy a lot easier since they could build on what they already knew.

Hand them the Doom3 engine and they'll have to start over from scratch, so it'll be a few years before they can make a new Jedi game based on it that stands up to the previous installments.

Granted, Raven is now working on QuakeIV, but again, they'd need another two games to get it "right" (if the past are any indictaions).

The Unreal engine is still a better choice since it's so familiar and has proven itself time and again.

The only reason that people are demanding Doom3 is because it has "wow graphics."

What does Doom3 offer that would specifically benefit a Jedi Knight game? Other than graphics I can't think of anything offhand. But maybe people who know more can tell me...

The only reason I can see for Doom3 to be an option is if Raven is picked again to do a Jedi game in the near future and they have gotten enough experience with the engine to think it could work.

Given Raven's long association with ID software's engines, it's possible they may go that route first anyway.

If Republic Commando proves a success perhaps LA will decide Unreal tech is a better option. Who knows?

It's based on time and money. If they think they can do it faster and cheaper (will still living up to the previous installments) on one engine than another, they probably will do so.

Archived