Home

OJP Enhanced Models

keshire

eh? What do you mean?

Send it to me to work on? No thank you, I've got enough on my plate as it is.

Mmmh, i think you misunderstood me, i meant send him the model , the glm to try it ingame because he have the mod/code; not to finish it or to work more, just for try it and see if the new tags work good and all. But if you have to do more work than put the .pk3 in base i won't send it to you, sure.

Also, to make the new tags invisible in normal mp i have to surf them off?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mmmh, i think you misunderstood me, i meant send him the model , the glm to try it ingame because he have the mod/code; not to finish it or to work more, just for try it and see if the new tags work good and all. But if you have to do more work than put the .pk3 in base i won't send it to you, sure.

k, here's the way to check how they'll move and look in-game.

open your model in modview

under tags

find the holster tags

right-click, bolt model

search for a suitable weapon model

wala, that is how it'll look in-game.

Also tags never show up in-game no matter how many you add. So no you won't have to mess with the skin file or surfaces.

ok i have 3ds max 6, milkshape 3d, and gmax. i ATTEMPTED to add 1 tag for the saber holster called *saber1 and its ALL screwed up. can i email some one my .glm file, and they just put a saber staff on the back (diagonal) and a saber tag on each side, then put it at least into a .md3? it would be SO kool of you to do so. i tried doing it myself, but like i said, i wasn't pretty.

if you can tell me, step by step, how to do it, that would be even better (im a hands on type person) so please help me any way possible.

btw my e-mail is jack1989@earthlink.net

Keshire you said you were reweighting the models to add the tags.

This mod here seems to have somehow adjusted something so that the weapons appear on the back without any reweighting.

Ninja Mod

Maybe the same thing could be applied to the existing models so that you won't have to reweight all of them.

I'm not really familiar with the code or anything, so these ideas might not work, but I thought I'd give these suggestion incase they are feasible.

Maybe it could be set up so that the weapons display in a manner similar to this mod by default. The first saber and second saber could default to their respective places on the hips as well as the saber staff on the back.

What weapons are enabled to display by default would need to be decided. You wouldn't want all possible models displaying at the same time similar to the models you've already set up.

Then have the code possibly check the models for the new tags you've created. So basically it will put the sabers on the hips and staff on the back by default, but if someone making their model wants to have the sabers (and other weapons) positioned somewhere specific, they would apply the new tags and they would override the default positions. (That's kind of the part that I don't know whether it's possible or not.)

This way old models wouldn't neccesarily have to be reweighted unless you wanted to do some specific tag placement with them (i.e. the Chewbacca you reweighted having the bowcaster on his back rather than the saber staff.)

Also, you've mentioned the problems with having swords and other weapons showing up on the hips because of clipping issues.

Since that's pretty much only a problem that you would have with weapons that are large and most likely bounce off of surfaces, would it be possible to have the code scan the ".sab" file for the weapon for the line that determines whether or not the weapon bounces off of surfaces. Then set it up so that if it's a pass through weapon (lightsabers) it appears on the hips and if it will bounce off surfaces it will appear on the back.

Again, I'm not familiar with the code or anything so I don't know if that's even possible or if that would require access to the engine code.:(

I think that was the basics of my idea. I'm interested to see whether or not any part of that would be applicable. It seems that it would definately lighten the work load, as well as enable the visible weapons on older custom models where the authors may not go back to add the proper tags.

Yeah, we already had that idea, it's just that it would take a lot more coding work (with a bunch of yucky vector math) on my part and I am a bit sick of messing with it after doing the sections that I already did.

I already talked to the coder for ninja mod about his code and he said that he lost his. I beleive him.

So, basically, you're stuck with the current system unless you find another coder to do it or wait for me to finish it when I feel like it.

Sorry, it's just that if I spent all my time doing what other people requested, I'd never have any time to work on anything that I want to work on....or sleep/eat/etc.

Yeah, I understand where you're coming from. :)

It would be nice to see it someday, but it's just a cosmetic detail anyways so I can understand wanting to focus in on some more important issues and features.

Like I said, I am not very familiar with the code at all so I had/have no real idea how much work it really would be to get something like that up and running.

Maybe someone will be able to pick it up sometime.

Thanks for your response.:)

alright, i give up!!!!!! I've looked at like 20 different tutorials, and NONE HELPED! no matter what, carcass gives me an error, whether weighting, Heirharchy, or animations:swear:!!!!!! :freakout:

Chesire, can you send me the Max and the .glm? i could really use them right now. :compcry:

ya load that sucker up. The xsi is the important part. It keeps the tag names and is compatible with anything that can import xsi. The glm is just an in-game example. viewable with modview.

Also I'd recommend not using the JKA carcass. Its givin me nothing but problems. Use the older version from the JKO tools. I also never use assimilate, prefering command line myself.

:( 3ds Max 6 doesnt have a compatible .xsi importer :( so the only real usefull thing is the .max file, so i can import my model, scale it, then export it to an xsi then run carcass on it. so if you could put the .max file up Razor, that would be awesome. as i said, i tried doing this myself, but to no avail

(it doesn't exactly help being only 15)

Well I guess I can do some trouble shooting.

First your not actually naming it "*whatever" correct?

all tags should be "bolt_whatever". the "bolt_" part gets stripped when anything gets converted to glm.

Otherwise what errors are you having exactly?

heh, i wasn't naming it "bolt_saber" or "bolt_staff" i was naming them "*staff" or "*holster_staff" heh.

but it keeps saying that a part is not weighted, but when i go into 3Dmax it shows it is when i go to the "edit Envelope" its weighting set to 1 for all verts.

and im basically a skinner but im trying my hand at modeling. i figured adding a few tags would be simple, but i found that modelling is all BUT simple

it makes me rate things just a little higher.

I gave up on the Player Model thing. not 4 me. but i am a (not very good) saber modeler.

ok so can you guys add a saber style (like SABER_SINGLE or SABER_STAFF) called SABER_CLAW? because I made some awesome Claws and on that Malak model they go through the leg. I would like to be able to use them properly in that way (putting them away).

• 2 weeks later...

I was trying the new tags on my model to see how everything looks and it's great.:) It's fun running around with extra weapons holstered everywhere.

One thing I noticed that looks kind of odd is having the EMP gun using the blaster tag. That gun is so much bigger than the blaster that it makes it really hard to place the tag. If I put the tag close enough to the body for the blaster to look natural, when I pick up the EMP it clips into the body.

Perhaps it should either have its own tag or join the group of the other guns.

I also had an occurance where the EMP appeared on both the blaster rifle tag and the blaster pistol tag. I don't know how it happened though, so I can't give any symptoms.:( Sorry.

Other than that though, it looks great.:D

Originally posted by LightNinja

i hope you dont fix that because look at the screenshot i put before, i think that weapon is simple to place than the other.

Are you talking about this picture?

danadn-roc.jpg

Maybe ultimately it would be best to have separate tags for all the weapons so the modelers have full control over which weapons are displayed and they can leave weapons out that they don't want to display or that wouldn't display well.

I was just saying that on the model I was trying it on, I got the Blastech to display so that it looks like it's on the belt, but if it gets swapped with the EMP then it clips into the torso.

How did you have it positioned LightNinja? Where is the EMP in that picture anyways? I think I know where it is but I want to know for sure. :)

Archived