Home

NJO brawl...

Master_Keralys

The NJO was...  

29 members have voted

1. 1. The NJO was...

• the best EU story ever told!!!
    • pretty good; I enjoyed reading it...
    • just okay. Not the best, but not too shabby...
    • not my favorite. Could have been a lot better
    • pretty bad. It sucked, the authors sucked, I didn't like reading it...
    • the absolute worst thing that could have ever happened to the EU!!!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, but have you actually read all the way through the NJO, oh haters of it? Because what you come to understand is that it expands on what the universe already had, not changes it drastically in the end. Indeed, as Astro already pointed out, the relationship of the Yuuzhan Vong to what's already in the SW universe is one of the most important points of the NJO...

here's another thing: the universe can't stay the same, like it or not. Moreover, it is the same theme. The theme is still good v evil, courage v selfishness, etc. It's the same themes on a different background. And where the themes are different, remember, it would be a bad thing if every story had the same thing. Every story in any given universe can't, because then it's just stale (as the Bantam series books eventually became in many ways).

They're also writing a story that's actually larger in scope than that of the OT, just as the Sith Wars were larger than the OT - maybe no more important, but larger in scope. As such, they'll have different foci and different ideas in them. The themes of the Sith War were different, but I didn't here you complaining about them. And I think that you'd find, Rhett, that if you finished the series you'd be immensely satisfied with how the Vong tie in.

I'll gladly acknowledge that it had its down points. I hated Dark Journey, and I really don't even like Vector Prime very much. But it's set off by fantastic novels like Star by Star, Traitor (arguably the best SW novel ever written) and The Unifying Force. You guys who hate it haven't seen the whole picture. And that's your loss.

there are a few points in the real world you have to consider.

People FEAR change. :) everything that is different then what they are used to scares people till hatred almost.

a working formula should not be changed. if coca cola would all of a sudden change their flavor.. ill bet you its gonna cost them.

i agree with a lot of your points ofcourse. but you have to realize that most of the EU readers are readers who LOVED the OT!. if you change the chars all of a sudden... they are gonna hate it.

my 2 cents

A good point, of course. Luckily for them, though, the OT characters didn't really change that much except to get better and stronger. Thus, the OT people would love this, except they never gave it a chance beyond the first book or few. And the end of the series really brought the characters full circle. I honestly believe that, low points aside, those who didn't read it truly missed out.

What I loved most about NJO was that it made the star wars universe evolve. I've heard so many peope who view star wars as an escape from reality get mad at the NJO series because it started to emulate one key aspect of reality. Change. Changes in the kinds of evils people face, the beliefs they embrace, and their understanding of their world. We got to see a maturing of a whole two generations of characters, some of whom we'd seen on film as kids. In the end I guess you just got to ask yourself, do you want an escape or are you willing to face the reality that NOTHING STAYS THE SAME.

Oh and traitor and TUF oh yeah were those books sweet! If you read about what a kick ass master Luke became your jaw would drop! Ahh I love feeling enthusiastic about good stories. :)

Originally posted by Wraith 8

there are a few points in the real world you have to consider.

People FEAR change. :) everything that is different then what they are used to scares people till hatred almost.

a working formula should not be changed. if coca cola would all of a sudden change their flavor.. ill bet you its gonna cost them.

i agree with a lot of your points ofcourse. but you have to realize that most of the EU readers are readers who LOVED the OT!. if you change the chars all of a sudden... they are gonna hate it.

my 2 cents

Well said ! Kudos to you too, Keralys !

Dont forget for a while the EU itself feared change too, so we had an endless procession of evil Warlords, a Grand Admiral who was soooo brilliant he was sent away during the Empires most desperate conflict (duh!).... and the occasional idiotic 'dark jedi', not to mention ridiculous superweapons...... no, EU needed a drastic change... thank the Maker it got one !

mtfbwya

Yeah, I'm on The Final Prophecy. I've read every NJO book besides the two pointless e-books. The NJO series owns. It is the best. Vergere's telling of the Force not having a dark side really made me start thinking and enjoying the power of the dark side.:):lightning

These books rock. I have read almost every Star Wars trilogy/duology/series that count:

Bounty Hunter Wars Trilogy

Corellian Trilogy

Dark Fleet Crisis Trilogy

Jedi Academy Trilogy

Thrawn Trilogy

Hand of Thrawn Duology

NJO Series

The New Rebellion

Cortship of Princess Leia

Jedi Apprentice Series

Jedi Quest Series

Boba Fett Series

Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter

All of the Journals

Tales from the New Republic

Tales from Jabba's Palace

:fett:

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by majinrevan

These books rock. I have read almost every Star Wars trilogy/duology/series that count:

Bounty Hunter Wars Trilogy

Corellian Trilogy

Dark Fleet Crisis Trilogy

Jedi Academy Trilogy

Thrawn Trilogy

Hand of Thrawn Duology

NJO Series

The New Rebellion

Cortship of Princess Leia

Jedi Apprentice Series

Jedi Quest Series

Boba Fett Series

Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter

All of the Journals

Tales from the New Republic

Tales from Jabba's Palace

:fett:

I notice you did not list the X-Wing sereis. You have a thing or two to learn about what series really matter.

I read a lot of the NJO books. Like, 4 or 5 or 6? Maybe more, I dont remember, I read to the one past Traitor. But....I stopped. For a reason. And those reasons have been stated eloquently enough by Rhett that I needn't repeat.

Suffice to say, the NJO is not STAR WARS to me. I really hate the way they vong unrealistically went from being the absolute end-all badasses that nobody could kill, to an enemy that was relatively evenly matched with the republic. Furthermore, I pretty much just hate everything about the Vong. Their technology, the fact that they aren't even from the same galaxy strikes me as stupid, and so on and so forth.

Vergere also pisses me off. Worst. Character. Ever.

Originally posted by ET Warrior

...Vergere also pisses me off. Worst. Character. Ever.

ET ! Your regal title bears no authority the minute you are out of that murky mess of a swamp !

Too bad you dont like Vergere. She and Jacen are what *made* the NJO for me. I was really dreading the 'good guys are gonna win and everything will be alright' conclusion to the NJO, but what those two characters alone added has given it a momentum that has a great potential for future writers to explore :)

I love the NJO...... nah.....nah-nah....nah-nah! A pox to your kingdom sir ! :p

mtfbwya

Yeah, Vergere was a make-or-break for you in that series. But she also gave a lot of new ideas to the entire SW universe. And actually, if you finished the series, they got back to being the end-all bad guys who kicked some serious butt. Parity was only established for about 8 months of SW time, actually, before the Vong hit back with their own technological (or biological, if you will) improvements that rendered the Republic less than equal.

No offense, but I honestly don't believe Rhett did a very good job of stating much at all. I've never heard a reasonable I dislike the NJO because of such and such except yours and maybe two others, ET... everybody just says "It's unoriginal Borg **** and I hate it!"

Yeah, Vergere was a make-or-break for you in that series. But she also gave a lot of new ideas to the entire SW universe. And actually, if you finished the series, they got back to being the end-all bad guys who kicked some serious butt. Parity was only established for about 8 months of SW time, actually, before the Vong hit back with their own technological (or biological, if you will) improvements that rendered the Republic less than equal.

No offense, but I honestly don't believe Rhett did a very good job of stating much at all. I've never heard a reasonable I dislike the NJO because of such and such except yours and maybe two others, ET... everybody just says "It's unoriginal Borg **** and I hate it!"

But like it or not, they did happen, and that will of course be taken into account in all post-NJO literature, including TD's upcoming trilogy.

Originally posted by Master_Keralys

But like it or not, they did happen, and that will of course be taken into account in all post-NJO literature, including TD's upcoming trilogy.

Bastards! :p :p

NJO isn't the worst thing that's ever happened to Star Wars, but I just don't really care for it anymore. And if Vergere were to get eaten by a Sarlacc I would laugh and giggle with glee.

Originally posted by Master_Keralys

ET, you seriously should at least read The Unifying Force; it's a pretty fantastic book even for non-NJO fans, trust me... [/b]

I second that. Luke dishes out the greatest saber ass-kicking ever(including movies and EU!), its worth reading it for that alone...

mtfbwya

Yeah, The Final Prophecy was awesome, even though it was a breeze to read through. I enjoyed it just because it was a philosophical book more than action, but had great action scenes as well. It also leaves you thinking a lot about things that don't get answered until TUF, and puts Nom Anor's character into an even more interesting position (trust me, those who haven't yet finished it).

King of the Swamp, Astro's right. Put it this way, "His single blade might as well have been ten or twenty..." And when he gets into this one-on-one duel, you won't believe what goes down, it's so awesome...

Archived