Home

BETA TEST: Bast Castle SIEGE

monsoontide

in the locations;

conferance room-> conference room?

there are some incomplete messages like

"the jedi are attacking the upper h"

and it's quite annoying to play the map without "objective complete" messages and sound...annoying as well is that

When you get the holocron at the bottom and want to get to mon monthma's face, i noticed I was out of force (it grows VERY SLOWLY back with a holocron) and could not make the jumps which were necessary to get there

The small lifts up are a problem indeed, almost ALL the switches are there and it's too easy to kill ppl using the lifts

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Erm... Who exactly is going to do this translation?

I didn't use language strings cos they're a pain in the arse. It just seems like yet another unecessary extra pain in the arse step/file to do/include. There's already enough stuff to try and get right. Why edit 2 files when I only need to do one. I can see why Raven did it though - it's easier for them to translate one file than lots of others.

The holocron thing is EASILY possible - but yes, you do need to conserve your jumps. I thought it was too easy without the holocron draining your force powers, but that's me playing the map alone. What are everyone else's thought on this?

The map does give objective complete messages - what are you talking about? Or do you mean C3pO's voice?

I actually recorded some custom voiceovers for when the objectives are complete, but I didn't include them to try and keep the file size down.

As far as the other messages go, does anyone know how to insert a "return" into the message so it's on two lines?

Zappo_0 join in if you can find a game.

I saw a game with 6 people playing on the [ONE] server this morning :D but with only a 56K dial-up, it wouldn't let me join. :(

P.S. I'm aware of some of the problems mentioned - but I'd also appreciate input on how to solve them.

One reason for the lift problem is MP lifts are kind of limited in functionality and stairs/ramps are kind of redundant - You'd have to run around so many ramps just to go up to the next floor! The ramps in the switch/power room are already steep enough! (Actually, should I change them to stairs?)

Bugs

===

# CRASH BUG :( When using basejka_pushfix mod, the server crashes when the Jedi attempt to break out. This happened three times out of three tests. The console gives the error message:

TARGET PRINT ERRORS:
activator classname: player
print targetname: escape
ERROR: target_print used in quick succession, fix it! See the console for details.
Sending heartbeat to masterjk3.ravensoft.com
Sending heartbeat to masterjk3.ravensoft.com
ShutdownGame:
------------------------------------------------------------
DROPPED

Pushfix is a very simple mod, compiled with gcc, so

I fear that any (Linux) user mod will cause a crash here.

# Sith get the "The Jedi are hacking upper/lower entry to the h" message when a Sith walks through the door

# In the Star Wars universe, hacking is called slicing :)

# When the Sith deactivate the bridge, the message says that the bridge has been activated. It would be nice to know whether it has been extended or retracted.

# No message for Jedi when ffield over cells is reactivated

# When Sith reactivate cell ffield, the message to the Sith is "The Jedi have broken out of the cell block"

# Falling onto the switch room floor gives the fade out death fall effect (classname trigger_hurt, damage -1). Inappropriate?

# Is it possible to get the rocket launcher? There is a fade out death fall trigger in the way if you try to jump from the below the main door to the hall (and it is otherwise possible to make that jump)

# By the tractor beam power nodes, there is a cushion on only one side. Falling the wrong side can result in death.

# Once a player has entered Anakin's custom JSF, it seems impossible to leave it again

Minor Flaws (debatable)

=================

# The front door to the castle does not open for the Sith - it needs to be either hacked or pushed up.

# There is no message when the Jedi slice Vader's meditation chamber

# It is possible to call lifts back to the top while they are still descending, allowing defenders to hog lifts

# Lower level lava above catacombs is fatal when raised, and non fatal when drained. Inconsistent.

Gameplay

=======

# Getting a full game going requires at least 6 ppl who know the map - and this map seems much harder to learn than Raven's. It takes over a minute to get from the top of the tower to the main hall, assuming no wrong turns.

# It is, in general, too easy to die all on your own. Experienced JK players (not me :)) should not be left on -16 points.

# All (afaics) the lifts drop faster than players fall, making them very dangerous - walk onto one (or jump, or get shot) just after it starts to descend and die.

# Fall damage is (too?) high, although it is possible to drop long distances using Protect.

# The catacombs leading to the holocron are dangerous even without no force regen and ppl trying to kill you. It is also quite a long way to take the holocron. I personally would rather the holocron not drain force.

# Getting through the sickbay can be annoying (esp. with no force regen or <level 3 jump) with 2 lifts to the lower floor and 1 to the perimeter walkway from the switch room.

Suggestions

=========

# Include a walkthrough demo in the pk3 to make it easier to learn

# Add ceilings to the lifts (i.e. make them enclosed rather than a platform) so Sith cannot drop explosives on the heads of climbing Jedi (Protect can work though)

# Make the castle simpler by removing an upper floor (e.g. lose Mothma's head room and use the meeting room instead for transmission), and use the space to spread out the switch room.

# Provide an exterior, non lift route up the castle, at least from below the switch room to above, e.g. ledges on the castle walls. Maybe make it exposed to the turbolasers.

# Provide lifts to go from the sickbay floor to the sickbay perimeter walkway

# Do not allow the Sith to reactivate the ffield over the cells. This can annoy people.

# In the power node area, put a small ledge around the edge of the interior wall so ppl can walk through the windows to the nodes outside. Jumping, ducking, rolling through the window is too common a mistake and always fatal.

I've started to implement some of the changes requested & to look at solutions to some of the other problems.

Am working to make progression through the map slightly more linear... (At least initially). So once you've completed an area there won't be any need to return there.

Also will combine the observation deck with the conference room.

There is now a ramp leading directly down from the sith shuttle into the main hall and I've removed the side ramps that used to be the way in.

Working on a way to make the hanger a less redundant area.

Also looking at a way to rework the medical center a bit.

Since no-one seems keen on the Sith Holocron, I'm looking at making that objective slightly different.

Will probably move the power room down a floor and remove the floor, so it'll be just one long drop down into the lava. Aieeeeeeeeeeeee!!! ;)

Not sure what to do about the problem with the lifts.

As for the tractor beam nodes, I'm hoping to make them destructable in some form or other.

Lava will now be drained from a switch elsewhere in the castle in order to make progression more obvious.

Sith spawn points will be activated for every objective "activated" and deactivated when that objective is "completed".

Lifts will be marked with up or down "Switches" - objective lifts will have a red frame (ala the locked door to Darth Vader's chamber)

The fuel pipe objective will be moved into the catacombs...

I've had lots of ideas on how to improve things just that little bit more and streamline gameplay a bit. There are still many problems to solve though and some game-engine restrictions I just can't get around (Such as the limit on the # of function brushes - which is why the lifts are just a single platform)

I definitely would agree with the game play being alot more linear. I felt really ackward running around in a test game with 6 people--having no idea where or what to go to next.

A small question: Does the sith statue near the destroyable wall (on the laval level) have any real purpose?

Also, where is this sith holocron; suppose I haven't found it yet..

The Sith Holocron is the little pyramid shaped thing you pick up in the sith catacombs in front of the statue and carry up to the little room in the middle of the laboratory - it seems this objective is a bit too obscure for everyone and no-one likes the fact that while holding the holocron, your force power regenerates VERY slowly...

I don't have trouble with it (Don't do flip jumps and you won't use up your force energy!) - but then I made the map! ;)

Don't forget to press "o" (default key) to check your objectives on the map and which ones have been done - it'll help you find your way.

Also I'm intending to make it so the bridge controls are smashed and you'll have to use the emergency ones by climbing about halfway up the pipes below the landing platform to the emergency control panel and thus extending the bridge to the shuttle. This should be the last objective to complete, next to getting in the shuttle - and will trigger all the sith spawn points to move to the landing field.

Now what I'd like to know - Are any of the Characters/Classes to overpowered/Underpowerd?

You can change default speed i think (well it does say speed: 1.00) perhaps a bit faster for the scout (it is a scout after all) like 1.20

Because the rebels have to work from the bottom till the top; demolitia are automaticly more important (remember Korriban, it was impossible first to get trough when the demolitia would spam the stairs. Now it's even upwards) I'd put the demolitia speed down, and this one will take testing with many players: disable push/pull so they cant push weapons back the light jedi pushed to them. Might fix the lift problem (Any thoughts of more ways leading to that room?)

Very nice changes monsoon, no reason to stay at objectives+ spread the objectives more...though bear in mind that the more you spread them, the more the 'minimum players count" increases (you cant defend 2 goals and make sure htey dont get 5 others if you get what i mean)

I'm going to try and sequence the goals a bit more - so that completing one goal unlocks the next one, though I still want to keep it as non-linear as possible!!!

Have so far reworked the catacombs a bit (Gantrys above lava and fuel pipe switch) and have moved the power/switch room down so the lowest floor is now level with the gantry leading out to the turbo laser tower. (Thus taking out one floor)

There are now three "vents" above the hanger, which when opened, lead down onto the three extended catwalks on the top level of the hanger (The little platforms by the Tie Fighter).

Still a fair ammount of work to do and everything is in flux - so I really need some more feedback/suggestions on the whole thing.

NB: The Sith Noghri has now force powers but a speed of 2.0 and heavy melee.

I think the force holocron objective is fine (I'm using Monsoon's technique) so I don't tink it a must to be taken off. It might be because I haven't tried it with other players yet though. But I think it's more of a challenge. The only thing I would change is the regeneration speed, maybe a little faster would be better.

I'm not certain I can change the force regen speed. The effect is either on or off I think. I used to have it off - but then it was too easy and didn't seem like much of a challenge.

Will post some screenshots of some of the changes soon.

I've decided to lower the small turbo lasers down a bit so they can shoot at more stuff. (Since they can't point down).

Will try the jsf you suggested Neo-Knight - though until tested, not sure if it will make a difference.

I may do that, but the whole point with the lasers is to turn them off, so they no longer pose such a threat!

I'm altering the Sith Holocron objective (Pray I don't alter it any further ;) ) So that Instead of taking it from the Catacombs to the lab, you will now take it from the Lab (Where it is being analysed by the Sith) to the catacombs (Where you will now destroy it in the flames). It just makes the gameplay flow a little better.

Also - I'm changing the tractor beam objective. It will now be the four nodes will have to be activated to drain the lava, thus unlocking the sith catacombs (for completion of holocron objective) and fuel pipe/refueling objective.

Also the switch to extend the bridge and now to unlock the Castle's Main Gate is located on a gantry halfway up the landing pad (i.e. you will now HAVE to climb up along the pipes leading from the pump station to get to the switch.

I've managed to get it so the Mon Mothma hologram now appears when that objective is completed.

If this all sounds a bit confusing it won't be. ;)

It basically just means that some of the objectives now have to be completed in a specific order, making things a bit more focused for the players.

Thanks for the feedback.

Today is the end of the first beta test.

I've already started incorporating many of the ideas and suggestions you have suggested.

BastBETA_Bridgeswitch.jpg

This is where the switch is now located to extend the bridge. (Which you now have to do in order to get to the Jedi shuttle landing pad)

BastBETA_Core_01.jpg

BastBETA_Core_02.jpg

BastBETA_Core_03.jpg

The newly remodeled switch room/power core, now moved down a level so it's part of the main shaft. Only two switches here now - Open door to turbo laser towwer, and open door to Vader's chamber. (Incomplete - still working on it)

BastBETA_Firepit_01.jpg

The newly remodeled sith catacombs location for the jedi to destroy the Sith Holocron. You have to force push the big rock aside to open the pit to destroy the holocron.

The newly reconstructed laboratory level. The lift leading down to this level now has a blue door frame. Here you will pick up the holocron to take down to the firepit for destruction...

BastBETA_Lab_00.jpg

BastBETA_Lab_01.jpg

But first you must deactivate the spinning rings by destroying the power nodes (Which currently have the old objective text - hence the tractor beam mention)

BastBETA_Nodes_01.jpg

BastBETA_Nodes_02.jpg

Picking up the holocron will now set of the pumps to drain the lava well, at the bottom of which is now located the switch to extend the refueling pipe.

BastBETA_Lavawell.jpg

After escaping the cell block, the Jedi team will now break into the hanger via three vents...

BastBETA_Vent_01.jpg

BastBETA_Vent_02.jpg

The new ramp into the castle's main hall from the SIth Shuttle landing pad.

BastBETARamp.jpg

Plus a whole host of other changes, including Mon Mothma now appearing and speaking after triggering the objective (Rather than her being on all the time), new spawning points and a generally more focused gameplay experience.

Still lots to do though, so it will be up to two weeks before the final BETA.

Anyone still interested can let me know if they want a look at the final beta before release.

Awesome changes! Though one question, you have to destroy a holocron in a substance that's in that pit, but also all around the map? (outside, and inside with the lava pit) doesnt make much sense..it should be more hot in there (or just made there) like LOTR :p

Though since this is an "all objectives in one" map (you can do all obj at a time) and the objectives are now thank god spread out, what do you guess for now is the min. playercount?

Archived